Dynadot

Century21.pro TM issues?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I did an trademark search on Century 21 and found not such TM. My understanding is that a name such as this cannot be TM'd due to the fact that it is a common phrase. Is that true?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are several registrations for that exact mark.

•••
Actually that is correct. There is one for a clothing store, one for a computer business, one for a real estate company which also includes century21.com. But as I stated it is a common phrase and I do not see that if it is century21.pro that trardemarked.... :|

•••
airwav said:
Actually that is correct. There is one for a clothing store, one for a computer business, one for a real estate company which also includes century21.com. But as I stated it is a common phrase and I do not see that if it is century21.pro that trardemarked.... :|

A common phrase or word used to identify an unrelated product or service can make it distinctive. "Apple" for a computer for example.

•••
So if I owned Apple.com I would be in TM violation :-/

•••
airwav said:
So if I owned Apple.com I would be in TM violation :-/

There are too many factors to give you an educated answer as I am not an expert. Some factors include your use of the domain (if it is a covered category under a registered mark), if you have previously established rights, and how well known the mark may be. Sorry I can't provide more specific information.

•••
Well, I guess if its used for anything else besides the TM it would be fine, but what made you reg it in the first place, perhaps you shouldnt answer that ? here mind you...

•••
Tippy said:
Well, I guess if its used for anything else besides the TM it would be fine, but what made you reg it in the first place, perhaps you shouldnt answer that ? here mind you...
Ha good question. First of all I am very new to the domain industry, second of all it was there, thirdly I did not see any TM issues since it was a common pharase.

I think the issue is if I were to use it to market real estate I would be in TM violation, i.e., if I used Apple.com to sell computers. I have looked at all of the the TM marks for Century 21 and found a huge variety of associated businesses that do not compete in the real estate market.

I am submitting a TM application for Century21.pro for webhosting that will be specific to webhosting so I will not be an any type of violation. A nice chunk to my attorney and filing fees...this domain is costing me an arm and a leg. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back