Dynadot

Click fraud a huge problem

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Click fraud a huge problem
Study finds practice widespread; many cut back online ads
Verne Kopytoff, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Internet advertisers paid $800 million for bogus clicks on their marketing messages last year, shaking confidence in the industry and prompting many to reduce spending with Google, Yahoo and other Web sites, according to a study to be released today.

The survey, by Outsell Inc., a market researcher in Burlingame, is one of the most detailed looks at the nagging, high-profile problem known as click fraud. Advertisers have long complained that major Internet sites don't do enough to combat the practice or, at least, disclose the extent of it.

Internet advertisers pay companies like Google and Yahoo every time someone clicks on their ads. The advertisers also share revenue with Internet companies based on how many advertising clicks their Web sites generate. Click fraud occurs when scammers repeatedly click on ads to cause a rival company to be overcharged. In another incarnation, fraudsters place the ads on their own Web sites and then click on the links to get a piece of the shared revenue they've agreed to with Google or Yahoo.

In today's report, advertisers say that 14.6 percent of all clicks are bogus. Moreover, three-quarters of advertisers said they had been victims at least once.

The perception of pervasive fraud has prompted many advertisers to change their spending. Many are asking why they should fork over money - significant amounts, in some cases -- for phantom shoppers.

The study found that 27 percent of advertisers reduced or stopped spending on click-based advertising. An additional 10 percent said they intend to curtail spending.

"In our opinion, it is not acceptable that advertisers fund the illicit profits of the scammers," Chuck Richard, vice president of Outsell, said in the report. He added that the fraud is easy to get away with and that Web sites have done little to stop it.

Gaude Paez, a spokeswoman for Yahoo in Sunnyvale, denied that her company is lax about click fraud. Rather, she said, Yahoo rigorously polices the problem with a range of automated filters so that customers aren't excessively charged.

Through the years, Yahoo has detected and declined to bill for billions of suspect clicks, Paez said. Users can always request refunds if they believe that they were erroneously billed, she added.

Outsell found that 7 percent of advertisers request a refund, netting an average of $9,507. Unsolicited refunds were paid to 4.2 percent of advertisers, with an average of $9,444 coming from Google and $4,068 from Yahoo.

Some advertisers who say they have been defrauded may be mistaken, Paez said. What looks like an unusual spike in clicks, for example, may actually be the consequence of a particular search term suddenly rising in popularity because of a news event or a holiday.

A spokesman for Mountain View's Google didn't respond to a telephone call seeking comment.

Advertisers have sued Google and Yahoo, claiming that the companies fail to filter enough of the fraud. Both recently reached settlements in separate class-action lawsuits over click fraud.

Outsell's survey was based on the responses of 407 online advertisers representing a cross-section of U.S. business. Their spending ranged from several thousand dollars online annually to more than $10 million.

That some of the advertisers cut some of their spending had a big effect on the finances of Google, Yahoo and other Web sites, according to Outsell. Combined, they missed out on $500 million in revenue in the United States, according to the report.

Still, the U.S. Internet advertising industry grew in 2005, as did Google and Yahoo. Such marketing, called pay-per-click, was a $5.5 billion business overall.

"Regardless of how impressed anyone is with the growth of pay-per-click advertising, it's dragging an anchor behind it," Outsells's Richard said in an interview. "It could be much larger."

Paez said that her company's business is still healthy. "We continue to see a lot of advertisers joining the network and increasing their spending," she said.

Ads priced by the click appear most frequently on search engines, in the margins next to results. On average, the advertisers paid $1.39 for each click on their ads during the first three months of the year, according to Fathom Online, a search engine advertising company in San Francisco.

The ads, which appear as mostly text and a link, are usually specifically tailored to the search terms. For example, a user who enters the query "beach vacation" will typically see ads from travel companies.

Richard said that major Internet companies could help improve their perception by advertisers by being more transparent. Google and Yahoo decline to make public any internal data about click fraud for competitive reasons and for fear that fraudsters could use the information to get around the defenses.

The stance has frustrated many advertisers through the years, who say they should know up front what level of fraud to expect and how many illicit clicks they get and when. Previous estimates have calculated the amount of fraud at between 10 and 30 percent of all clicks.

Richard said that dissatisfaction with click-based advertising is fueling the drive to a different type of online marketing that he insists is better for merchants. The idea, sometimes called cost per action, would require advertisers to pay only when a consumer clicks on an ad and then buys a product or asks for a brochure.

Such advertising is gaining popularity, with San Jose online marketplace eBay recently disclosing plans for an advertising network that would farm ads out to other Web sites. The site operators would be paid if visitors click on one of the ads and then buy a related item on eBay within a few days.

"Pay per click is a really rudimentary advertising -- a baby step -- and it's destined to decline and be replaced by other advertising methods," Richard said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click fraud
A survey about fraudulent clicks on online advertisements offers a window into a problem faced by many advertisers. Here's some of the findings:

Clicks believed by advertisers to be fraudulent: 14.6 percent

Money paid by advertisers for bogus clicks: $800 million (2005)

Advertisers who said they were victims of click fraud: 75 percent

Advertisers who said they reduced click-based advertising or plan to: 37 percent

Revenue lost by Google, Yahoo and other Web sites, as a result: $500 million

Advertisers who request refunds because of fraud: 7 percent

Average refund: $9,507

Source: Outsell Inc.

SOURCE

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for sharing this, this will impact parking services too...

•••
Hmm interesting read. Not guilty here though, not that stupid (arguably). Wish someone would click on my ads though!
I find it hard to sympathise with large corporations in this sort of circumstance, but i do dislike the practice as it means PPC advertisers are going to pull back their budget and i will make even less on adsense, (if that's possible).

•••
All companes should test the means of advertising against a measurable outcome, eg sales.

Even with false clicks if the level of sales/cost to advertise works out more profitably than other media then people will still advertise online, but will be paying a little more than they have to. As long as phantom clicks are consistent amongst advertising partners (eg google vs overture) the net effect will mean that everyone pays more and no-one is worse off.

•••
This goes to show people who engage in click fraud that they are being extremely shortsighted. Their short term gain contributes to the impolsion of the entire industry.

•••
It's an on going problem with big ramifications....corporations and companies who spend large amounts of cash for advertising depend on a conversion ratio to off set thier costs....When they have one sale in 700 hits....They definatly have paid dearly for the traffic...And other means of advertising is in order for them..rather than PPC advertising....Iam wondering how this will effect domain parking? None the less...Over enough time...It has the ability to abolish PPC for good imo.

•••
I think eventually with time everthing will evolve into click for action advertising. I believe the current scenario of PPC will give way to a new thinking in marketing campaigns by advertisers.There is just too much possibility for fraud and too much energy required in patrolling it. With the number of sheisters around the system is too inviting and the result is advertiser complaints,refund requests,account suspensions and disputes,lawsuits and who knows what else.
It becomes increasingly difficult to operate anything these days without societies' garbage littering the park.

Last edited:
•••
PPC has been the primary driving force for domain regs in the past years. If PPC declines significantly, then what will this do for the industry? Maybe some or all of these will happen:

- domain tasting (aka domain kiting) will stop
- domains sales will decrease D-:
- domain renewals will plummet
- I'll finally get my dream domain. :bingo:

•••
I'm a full-time web-developer and I've also found the results from Google Ads to be very poor. I stopped spending on Adsense and put all the money into making my sites Search Engine-Friendly and ranking high naturally.

•••
I stopped advertising in adwords last year, as I was paying several times what the ads brought in sales. Fortunately, word of mouth and SEO continue bringing in good sales.

•••
not so pessimistic

CPC is and has been one of the most revolutionary things to hit the advertising industry. Click fraud is just a growing pain and companies with incredible resources will find a way to combat it. As it is, Google has some allowance for a fraud rate. As for CPA advertising, I think it will grow but will not replace CPC. Do magazines or TV advertising get paid based on CPA? No! And neither will CPC. Even with fraud, CPC beats the traditional mediums.

What will greatly help the CPC market is for advertisers to have more engaging and interactive sites when a user actually comes to their site. The real power in CPC is not just to acquire the user on the first visit, but for many subsequent visits and to offer a really engaging and interesting site that they wish to come back to. Too many sites are bland and fail to take advantage of the power of the web to engage their customer.

So, in the long run, click fraud is a good thing because it will force companies to build better websites and CPC providers to provide better quality clicks.

:hehe:

•••
I believe it is a problem but I do not believe it will hurt the industry.
More and more people and more and more companies are going online everyday and the best way to reach customers are thru search engines-----and everyone knows this.
I think the search engines will do things to help prevent fraud but in everything there is going to be some fraud---JMO

•••
armstrong said:
PPC has been the primary driving force for domain regs in the past years. If PPC declines significantly, then what will this do for the industry? Maybe some or all of these will happen:

- domain tasting (aka domain kiting) will stop
- domains sales will decrease D-:
- domain renewals will plummet
- I'll finally get my dream domain. :bingo:

Those options aren't good above apollo-lol....ok...the third option is excellent! lol
Iam not a domain flipper..so.. no selling wouldn't hurt me,Except when i really need money :laugh:

I stopped using adwords myself,,My conversion ratio was so low...I was only wasting money...Overture advertising wasn't an option at the cost.

Last edited:
•••
I think it is unfair to say they are doing very little to stop this, it is something highly monitored and regulated.

•••
droplister said:
I think it is unfair to say they are doing very little to stop this, it is something highly monitored and regulated.
It's not so much they aren't doing thier share to stop it....They have a hard time keeping up with click fraud technology methods i would think.

Last edited:
•••
As it is, Google has some allowance for a fraud rate.

This is the problem with the CPC model and the point of the above article.The advertiser has to pay a rate that is inflated to account for useless clicks.

Do magazines or TV advertising get paid based on CPA? No!

Do they pay for advertising based on clicks?

What will greatly help the CPC market is for advertisers to have more engaging and interactive sites when a user actually comes to their site.

This could very well be the case, but the point of the article was that advertisers were wasting money on purely fraudelent clicks by those trying to profit or sabotage a competitors advertising campaign. I don't see much complaint on the effectiveness of converting honest clicks.

So, in the long run, click fraud is a good thing because it will force companies to build better websites and CPC providers to provide better quality clicks.

I really have trouble seeing how an improvement to a website (General Motors for an example) will reduce the number of fraudulant clicks made by someone to get there-they aren't buying a car and probably don't even look at it once they arrive.

Although not perfect I believe CPA is a better solution and Google is already moving in that direction with their CPA program.

My thoughts anyways.

•••
CPA was around before PPC and a lot of domainers believe fraud exists on that side. CLICK Fraud works both ways, SEND people to an advertiser and a place like CJ does not credit you no matter how much proof you show them that people signed up or bought something. CLICK Fraud prevention will get better and domainers might also do more with their traffic if ppc just went away which I think is only the wish of those that have no good ppc domains. But people are not going to send a company 10,000 uniques in a month and only get paid if there is a sale, it is not the domainers job to sell for you, only to advertise an ONLINE BILLBOARD nothing more.

If you have a portfolio that gets say 100,000 uniques a month that can be compared to a magazine with 100,000 circulation. I would rather get paid based on that rate in cash than get paid on a PPA so put out the cash like you do to magazines advertisers because domainers are not going to just give their traffic away on a whim you might make a sale.

•••
In Ad Words the advertiser bids against other advertisers for position and frequency of their ad showing. Advertisers, at least if they are paying attention, budget their click bids upon the sales results the campaign is receiving. For that purpose fake clicks and genuine clicks who decide not to buy are the same. They do not create results therefore they do not affect how much an advertiser is willing to pay in total for the results he receives. The other advertisers who want the same keyword have the same rationale. So if click fraud were eliminated then advertisers would bid more for their keywords and in the end pay about the same.

It would perhaps sound cynical for Google to point this out but it is true.

Specific clicks by a competitor aside, click fraud is naturally ignored by the system as it stands.

•••
There's a great quote I remember from an article but I forgot who said it. It goes "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted, the problem is I don't know which half"

My point is that even with CPC fraud, advertisers get more in return for their dollar than they would otherwise.

As for how GM building a better website, my point is that just as virus and security problems plague the net, so will click fraud plague CPC. By buiding a better website, GM will maximize the "good clicks"

The study found that 27 percent of advertisers reduced or stopped spending on click-based advertising. An additional 10 percent said they intend to curtail spending.

So what about the other 63%?

Check out this article

http://www.sempo.org/learning_center/research/outsell_inc_ad_spending_survey

•••
thanks for sharing and thanks everyone for the comments they are a good read :)

•••
I think PPC will eventually go away or morph into a hybid model of PPS/PPC. I think the fraud rates are too high to sustain themselves

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back