Dynadot

Creating an Intranet Website for First Time Wireless Clients

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey guys,
This is something I just started thinking about. How hard would it be to create an intranet website for first time users of a wireless connection? You know, when you go to a hotel for the weekend, the first time you connect, you are presented with a webpage that makes you accept the terms and conditions. After that, you can browse the web.

Ok, I'll be honest, the thing that made me thought of this is because I think it would be a funny prank to pull on my housemates (since I'the m administrator of the wireless network around here). But this would genuinely be something good to know how to do.

I imagine you'd have to have a server setup (for something as unnecessary as a prank, I could install Apache onto my own local computer). But how would you get the router to behave properly? I guess do some sort of mac filter and/or port forwarding?

Ok, now I'm curious - not only for a prank, but just to KNOW!

- David

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You just need to set up a proxy on top of the web server.
On a *nix platform you can use squid for example.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back