Domain Empire

Do Registries imposes fees when a customer wants to change their REGISTRANT details?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
I'm fighting with One.com as they have done what they often do to so many of their customers = put the Whois Privacy information as the REGISTRANT information on a domain and then ask for a fee in order to update it to the correct REGISTRANT details. I know this is their modus operandi as there are many other customers who have reported the same.

This is the latest Email from them:

Hello Allysin,

Thank you for your response!

I understand that however, please know that when a domain changes ownership, it involves administrative and operational tasks, including updating registration records and transferring rights. The Domain Registry imposes fees for these changes.

Please feel free to reply to this email if you have any more questions. You can initiate a live chat session with us at any time by clicking the 'Start Live Chat' button on this link: https://help.one.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

My question is - is there even such a thing where any Registry would ever charge like a $20 fee for customer updating their records? I mean it's hard to believe as I imagine domain owners also move, change Email addresses, phone numbers etc. The domain extension is .legal.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Weird! I haven't come across this before.

•••
Why do you keep staying with the Registrars who have problems?
Transfer them out. It's not worth to save a dollar or two with constant problems.

•••
Why do you keep staying with the Registrars who have problems?
Transfer them out. It's not worth to save a dollar or two with constant problems.
I would love to but can't because they won't give me the auth code! (they keep sending it to the Whois Privacy Email address)

•••
Keep contact them every hour until you can move the names out.
I think you can also file report (not with them) if you need to.

•••
I'm fighting with One.com as they have done what they often do to so many of their customers = put the Whois Privacy information as the REGISTRANT information on a domain and then ask for a fee in order to update it to the correct REGISTRANT details. I know this is their modus operandi as there are many other customers who have reported the same.

This is the latest Email from them:

My question is - is there even such a thing where any Registry would ever charge like a $20 fee for customer updating their records? I mean it's hard to believe as I imagine domain owners also move, change Email addresses, phone numbers etc. The domain extension is .legal.
Charging a fee for simply updating the WHOIS information?

This is not really something I have seen.

I would ask for One.com to point to the TOS or language showing the .legal registry is charging a fee to update the WHOIS information.

One.com and the .legal registry are subject to ICANN policies.

I am not sure of their policy regarding this, but it seems like it could be quite the slippery slope if a registrar or registry can just demand some arbitrary amount of money to update WHOIS.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Yes. They can charge you for updating ownership details. It's not common to do so nowadays but they sure can.

•••
This is not really something I have seen.

Been happening for ages in the past. Usually with (ICANN accredited) resellers, cctlds. Less common nowadays.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back