Domain Empire

poll Do you make offers on domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you make offers on domain names?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, I'm constantly making offers on other people's domains

votes
    16.3%
  • I very rarely make offers (I only make offers on names I really want)

votes
    40.9%
  • I only make offers if there isn't a BIN price

votes
    2.5%
  • I only make offers if there is a BIN price

votes
    7.1%
  • I only make offers on reseller marketplaces (like NP)

votes
    10.6%
  • No, I never make offers on other people's domains

votes
    22.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
There is a lot of talk lately about price upon request vs make an offer vs BIN w/ make offer vs BIN w/o make offer.
I really want to know what you guys do as buyers, not what you use on your domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The vast majority of sales are under $100 -- most of these are not end-users

Consider them the supplier/wholesaler sales, as we all need to restock.

I personally ignore those, as I am interested in the real end user sales. Even though, by quantity, most sales are in the former, monetarily the latter is bigger and more important. Part of those funds also keep financing the wholesale activity.

•••
I only use buy it nows. Make offer is fine and pretty standard but it means they want more than I am able to pay and alot of times a simple inquiry and the person raises the price and/or renews. Sometimes its more productive to just watch the name to see if it gets dropped. I think that happens alot- don’t alert the seller to interest and wait for the drop.

•••
I'm not a buyer of sellers (aftermarket) domains. That said I do view the NP auctions from time to time and will bid/buy quite happily up to around the $50 mark. - But it has to strike a chord.

Sold a domain this week that I've held for nearly 20 years, deducting all the renewals left about a $600 profit. But that's me these days - happy to just play around with whatever I've just got left.

My lesson was 20 years and holding 2,000 domains just became a lot of hard work, (around 2007) The money side started to pale into insignificance with all the time it was taking up. Incidentally that was the same year the wife died, (and my partner in domains) So its taken me this long to extract myself. Once you build-up that portfolio, there's never a quick way out with out loss

Last edited:
•••
I'm not a buyer of sellers (aftermarket) domains. That said I do view the NP auctions from time to time and will bid/buy quite happily up to around the $50 mark. - But it has to strike a chord.

Sold a domain this week that I've held for nearly 20 years, deducting all the renewals left about a $600 profit. But that's me these days - happy to just play around with whatever I've just got left.

My lesson was 20 years and holding 2,000 domains just became a lot of hard work, (around 2007) The money side started to pale into insignificance with all the time it was taking up. Incidentally that was the same year the wife died, (and my partner in domains) So its taken me this long to extract myself. Once you build-up that portfolio, there's never a quick way out with out loss

Sorry for your loss.

•••
I voted "I only make offers if there is a BIN price".

If there is no price set then the owner probably wants a lot. Multiple times I've made a low offer on a domain I want that has no bin price set just because I want the owner to make a counter-offer. Usually they just get annoyed that I "low-balled" them and refuse to continue the conversation but I'm really just trying to feel out a price for what they want on the domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back