NameSilo

discuss Do you think domaining will have a future?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bharatwaj

Established Member
Impact
Hi,
So I have 3-4 domain names under my portfolio (I am a noob). I have 1 domain name which has not been sold for 1 year. I have saw many domains inspite of very good domain names haven't been sold because of horrendous price they quote. Yeah I do get that it's a good name but then why don't they get sold out?
For eg , 3 letter (.in) domains are now selling at 100$+ and if you see the domain name page, it will just show a sedo page on the domain name, means its on auction for a long time.
Another example which I faced directly, I asked the owner of reviews(dot)(in){if the owner of the domain name is here, please don't get offended}, for the price, I thought it would be 2-5k $ ,but he asked for 10-15 lac INR(15-20k $ ) approx , the domain name is still for sale for past 2 years.
If the domain name is so good, why aren't people buying it? It's a end user domain name for sure.
Yeah some domains sell for pretty big amount, but domaining is a sort of gambling, do you see the future here?
I am not asking this post to say bad about domaining, I am just fearing to be honest.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
good domains always sell
if your domains aren't selling, it doesn't mean domaining doesn't have a future, it just means your domains are not good

•••
good domains always sell
if your domains aren't selling, it doesn't mean domaining doesn't have a future, it just means your domains are not good
No I am not only talking about my own, i don't care spending 50-100$ for renewal cost but , I am asking in general, do read the whole thing, I have included 2 examples also.

•••
No I am not only talking about my own, i don't care spending 50-100$ for renewal cost but , I am asking in general, do read the whole thing, I have included 2 examples also.

it doesnot matter what you say or what the whole thing is.

the only tbhing that matters is that good domain always sell.
cheers

•••

cheers
Sorry, if you got angry or offended for the post.

•••
Sorry, if you got angry or offended for the post.

that is your impression of it, I'm sitting here laughing, eating chips and having a blast watching you think I am offended.

•••
okay I better get on topic and drop the chips:

yes, domaining does have a future. the problem is that not every domainer will become proficient enough, to have a future in domaining.

I am talking in general too of course. not about you, not about me.

domaining is always good. it's just that there are good and bad domainers.

•••
Domaining certainly has a future, the last 12 months have seen dramatic changes to the marketplace. Short low-value domains have increased in value over a very short period, numeric domains have become hugely popular and liquidity has entered domaining which has never been seen before.

As with any market, some owners are over ambitious while other undersell. I have been both. The skill of successful domaining is knowing when to sell, if you under price you introduce liquidity but this requires more sales per month to make a profit while those who do hold will gain more $ per sale but will not need to sell as many indiviual domains.

Domainers who obtain large sums do not sell on their first offer, it can take years/decades to sell a domain for top dollar. People such as Rick Schwartz have held some domains for 20 years, he only sells domain in the hundreds or thousands or millions of dollars. He could sell domains over-night if he under-valued his portfolio but Rick doesn't need liquidity.

Last edited:
•••
The DNS system isn't going to change any time soon, or ever possibly.

As long as that remains the case, the mediocre domains you get today will be worth a lot more as time moves on.

•••
Hi,
So I have 3-4 domain names under my portfolio (I am a noob). I have 1 domain name which has not been sold for 1 year. I have saw many domains inspite of very good domain names haven't been sold because of horrendous price they quote. Yeah I do get that it's a good name but then why don't they get sold out?
For eg , 3 letter (.in) domains are now selling at 100$+ and if you see the domain name page, it will just show a sedo page on the domain name, means its on auction for a long time.
Another example which I faced directly, I asked the owner of reviews(dot)(in){if the owner of the domain name is here, please don't get offended}, for the price, I thought it would be 2-5k $ ,but he asked for 10-15 lac INR(15-20k $ ) approx , the domain name is still for sale for past 2 years.
If the domain name is so good, why aren't people buying it? It's a end user domain name for sure.
Yeah some domains sell for pretty big amount, but domaining is a sort of gambling, do you see the future here?
I am not asking this post to say bad about domaining, I am just fearing to be honest.
------------------------For sure domaining will change within the next 10 years. We will have thousands of extensions that didn't exist until recently. Mobile will represent almost 100% of consumer traffic in 5 years. Will people benefit from great key rich URLs?

•••
Don't make domaining your full time business. It can be your side income. Try to find out some reliable source of income online like website designing, SEO, content writing etc. You can't just depend on domaining for your living. And there is a reason for it. You need to invest in domaining for long term. Think Real estate. You buy a land for investment but you need to wait for months to years to get appreciation. Same is the case with domaining.

•••

cheers

haha this was awesome. Definitely right to the point. The right domains, the domains that have quality that have some sort of value will definitely always sell and many times quickly. When people start complaining why their domains do not sell or why is it so hard to sell a domain I simply examine the quality of the domain and many times they are crap.

By focusing on buying quality domains you will make your life easier when it comes to the selling process =-D

- Will

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back