NameSilo

Domain age? How to find out...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi guys, do you know of any plain simple service or a way to find out the age of domain name? Only site I know of is urlappraisal. They somehow know how old "every" domain is... but it would be fairly complicated to use their service to get that info!

Any other way? :)

EDIT: I'm interested in "whole existence" of the domain name. Not only from the creation to exp.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
You need to check with the registry.

•••
Visit Domaintools.com

-Enter domain into the WhoIs Lookup - "Search for Domain" bar

-Click on the "Registration" tab

-Registrar, Created, Expiration, and Updated dates are shown

•••
Visit Domaintools.com

-Enter domain into the WhoIs Lookup - "Search for Domain" bar

-Click on the "Registration" tab

-Registrar, Created, Expiration, and Updated dates are shown

This, I just have this bookmarked:

http://whois.domaintools.com/somesite.com

Should have the info you're looking for. I have a column in my spreadsheet for that but I call it the Born On Date :)

•••
Age of a domain?
No need for any tools.
Simply lookup whois.
Creation Date.
That is the age.

If a domain name was dropped once, then the age is reset again and starts again from Zero.

If you want to find out if there was any website in the past

Archive.org

•••
This, I just have this bookmarked:

http://whois.domaintools.com/somesite.com

Should have the info you're looking for. I have a column in my spreadsheet for that but I call it the Born On Date :)

Thanks! this is pretty useful... even though I can't actually access it :( I tried sockets and curl, but it seems they have it "locked", if they can't auth who is checking. :/

To be precise I want something like an API I can use or page I can make computer to "look at" and parse the values.

•••
•••
•••
Thanks! this is pretty useful... even though I can't actually access it :( I tried sockets and curl, but it seems they have it "locked", if they can't auth who is checking. :/

To be precise I want something like an API I can use or page I can make computer to "look at" and parse the values.

There are whois programs for just about every programming language out there. I even created one for use with the WordPress CMS (see link in sig). If you tell us what programming language you are using I am sure I can find something for you. For example for my plugin ajax whois I am using phpwhois:

sourceforge.net/projects/phpwhois/

You can also just use the whois program on linux command line. Just type whois <domain name> to make it work.

•••
yes you're absolutely with this domain age checker tool ! I try to check the age of domain & your shared tool help me to know the right age of domain !

It won't work with every domain. There's a problem.

•••
There is no solution for your request.

(only maybe if you are ready to pay a lot for that)

------------------->
Whois History$39.95 / mo + $0.95 / domain
Get archived historical Whois records.

(domaintools)

Last edited:
•••
There is no solution for your request.

(only maybe if you are ready to pay a lot for that)

There must be a different one, too. I tried to reach the UrlAppraisal guys on the email at their page, but it came back as a failed attempt.

I don't think they are paying DT for every query.

•••
There are scripts. And some sites use them to sort domain lists by creation date very fast. But i doubt that they will give you the script/info for free.

•••
^ As i understand he wants following:

domain.com: creation date 1995-07-09
domain.com: deleted : 1998-07-09
domain.com: available (1999-2007)
domain.com: available (1999-2007)
domain.com: creation date 2007-03-23
domain.com: deleted: 2009-03-23

:imho: this is not in zone-file, and you can get it only if you have saved/archive of zone-files.

•••
Hi guys, do you know of any plain simple service or a way to find out the age of domain name? Only site I know of is urlappraisal. They somehow know how old "every" domain is... but it would be fairly complicated to use their service to get that info!

Any other way? :)

EDIT: I'm interested in "whole existence" of the domain name. Not only from the creation to exp.

I will suggest a rather simple way to calculate the domain age. You can use WhoisXY.com wherein when you submit the respective domain name it will display the domain owner,technical contact,creation and expiry date..you can calculate from the domain creation and expiry date.

Last edited:
•••
At domaintools.com when you check domain whois, there is short information about what they have at their whois history:

example: Whois History: 47 records have been archived since 2007-11-20 .

This can give you idea about the domain age.

•••
What dnb8 says above, plus a paid Domain Tools account will get him what he needs. Afaik only Domain Tools has these kinds of records.

•••
WhoisRequest.com might be closer to what you are looking for...

:)

•••
WhoisRequest.com might be closer to what you are looking for...

:)

That works :)
Repped.

It looks like the history only goes back to 2002 but still not bad :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back