Domain Registrars do not Track what Domains you’re Searching

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmchaka

Established Member
Impact
Many people believe domain registrars track what domains you’re searching for and then front-run you and try to sell it to you with a high markup.Here’s why you’re likely wrong:

1. It’s a bad business. If you already declined buying it for the regular fee of $9, you’re unlikely to be interested in the domain. Let alone wanting to spend a premium price.

2. It’s risky. Established registrars make plenty of money selling high-margin services. Why would they risk fraud claims and jail time making a few extra bucks on random domains that are unlikely to sell anyway?

3. So far, nobody has been able to back up any of these claims with compelling proof. If it was this common, you’d expect to see some evidence by now.

4. The law of big numbers. There are 100,000+ domains registered per day. It’s difficult to comprehend, but the likelihood of someone else wanting the same domain is quite high. Especially if it’s a combination of English words. Even more so if it’s related to current trends.I get notified whenever someone registers a domain name similar to one of my brand names. I get multiple alerts per day! The majority is coincidence.

Credit:

Marc Köhlbrugge

@marckohlbrugge

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

since it was done in the past, then they, the registrars are always suspect.

know your 'domain history', before disputing what has occurred before.

imo....

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back