IT.COM

information Epik and your plan

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I know there are a lot of members here have account with Epik so the information from you may help other members.

1. How many names do you have with Epik
2. Are you worried and what's your plan NOW and when the hacking is OVER

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How many names I have at Epik is 'my business'. :xf.cool:

My plan for now and the future? Simple, carry on as before, I shall keep those domains at Epik and will continue to register domains at Epik if it makes financial sense to do so.

I have an inbuilt resistance to being threatened or blackmailed, which is what the supposed hacker/s are actually trying to do to 'us' domainers, for it is 'us' they are targeting in an effort to force us to do their bidding. Well I have news for them, I have been in real combat, and I literally mean hand-to-hand - and whatever they threaten is nothing compared to that. They, the hacker/s, can go and get stuffed as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
•••
I don't understand why ppl have such bias toward epik.

- Epik offers the most competitive price, better than almost all other registrars;
- they have very nice customer services, and their ppl love to help and respect all customers. better than all other registrars;
- Epik treats domainers like real human, real friends, this differs from other registrars.

Just my experience.

•••
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but my 'plan' is to stay the course. Ineffectual and marginalized individuals (due to their own inadequacies) will do their best to disrupt others in the digital universe.

I will continue to buy and sell on the Epik marketplace (along with the other major markets). The most recent issue is just a bump in the road along the journey to forever.

•••
I also don't want to disclose how many names I have with Epik (knowing the exact number will not make your wife happier, @johnn ), but it's more than a 100.
I did change the password, but generally my concern regarding this attack equals to an absolute big huge round zero. Today Epik got hacked, tomorrow it's Dynadot (where I also keep some good portion of my portfolio), then GoDaddy and so on and so forth. Then we stop domaining or what?
One can say it's because of Rob Monster's political views and it could be avoided, but this statement sounds extremely speculative and vague to me.
For me, working with Epik is a good experience and I'll definitely continue on a journey.

Last edited:
•••
I'd rather post my opinion here (mainly general thoughts about Epik), rather on ''neighbors threads'' which for the most part is filled with hate, gloat, speculations, unproven info and just a bunch of bullshit. To me, it's best to divide the whole problem in three parts:

1) How good Epik is as a platform
2) How good is their security
3) Rob's political and religious believes (simply because it's a huge ''thing'' for many, all of a sudden)

1. Epik is an awesome platform to work with. Easy to manage names, comfortable import-export, lots of statistics (views, Who.is, Alexa, PageRanks etc), different parameters to check across and categorize. Then there are awesome landing pages that you create in minutes, there is a marketplace which you can use as your website basically, there are NameLiquidate auctions, appraisals (for those who need) and other features. I've been with 5 other registrars (still with some), but none of them come close in terms of ease and comfort of managing names. Their customer service is outstanding, even though I don't have to go to them a lot, soon you realize you know all these guys by names, chatting pretty much like with an old friend to many.
Is the above said a reason for me to stay? Yes, absolutely.

2. How good is (was) Epik's security? They got hacked, it's a fact. That can happen to anybody. Could they do better to prevent it? We don't know it in fact, but it's possible, and now it seems as an extremely obvious thing to me that the security measures will be raised to an absolute maximum for this not to happen again. And do we really know how other registrars keep their information, and what are the odds for leaks and hacks there? We assume just because we don't hear lots about them that their systems are secured well, but we have no idea about it in reality.
So, emotions aside (''how could they....!!! Epik Fail....!!!), isn't Epik's ''lesson learned'' the reason to stay? My answer is again ''yes''.

3. Rob Monster's beliefs. That's the most entertaining part for me, I personally wouldn't care less even if he preyed on Carl Marx, but for many folks his conservative views is a red rag to a bull here. There are clearly people that are against his views, others complain that he is mixing them with business.
I only talked to Rob a couple of times (heard no ''Heil Hitler!''greetings, I swear!) and saw a few interviews, but it very much seems to me that he really and truly supports the idea that EVERYBODY has the right to be heard as long as it does not break the law. In other words, if someone is IamAnIdiot.com, and other registrars are like: ''he is an idiot, we don't want him'', he's point is ''hey, if you come to me, you can show you are an idiot from here, you have the right to do so''. But this position nowadays unfortunately makes you a target. It is a fundamental problem for our society (that becomes more and more totalitarian), which simply wants to silence certain views, while heavily promoting others, that way too many people/companies/groups are just being labeled (thus being ''cancelled'') for exposing different opinions.
Staying for what you believe openly now is a revolutionary act, which only shows what kind of perverted world we are living in.
To sum the third point up: do his beliefs affect my decision to keep domains with Epik? No, not a single bit. But on a personal level I like people who stand for what they believe is right, regarding conjuncture and pressure.

So, 3-0 for me in favor of staying.

•••
I know Rob but I don't know him deep. Maybe he is the worst guy. I don't know that deep. Based on my personal experiences, Epik is better than most of others and Rob as a CEO do offer me help and treat me with respect. Do you believe Godaddy, Dynadot, NSI, CEO cares who you are?

Everyone is complicated, everyone is a mix of goods and bads. So i dont judge ppl. When u judge others from a moral high, look at yourself.

END

•••
Epik should only allow transfers out from here on via not only auth codes but by emailing the owner to double confirm the transfer by clicking on the provided link.
It seems that the auth code for transfer is no longer available directly from site, but only via email (a change from the past). Other registrars I deal with some you can get codes from site, and others only via admin email. In past Epik allowed both. Clearly only email a bit more secure, but immediately on site is more convenient.

Also, at least for me this morning, it does not allow fast approval via the email link (it asks me if I want to approve, but says approval is not allowed at this time). I did not check with customer service if there are ways around this, it is something temporary, or something particular to my transfer (I was just transferring one name, and don't mind if I do end up needing to wait the 5d).

I have 100+ names at Epik, I do not have immediate plans to move most out, will wait and see details and the response. I use 10 different registrars, with most on 4, so it is not like all my names at any registrar.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Registered 3 domains already today. Not going to worry until I know more but not thinking of switching anything. I like the range of services Epik developed and their innovation will only create positive change in the marketplace.
The already polarized world is becoming further divisive, wokness, identity politics, etc so any corporation not giving in will be on the receiving end of orchestrated PR campaigns.

Last edited:
•••
I have domains at Epik, yes the constant noise is concerning, so are unvaccinated people!

currently the World is in Chaos,

I am focusing on what I can control.

Don't drink the Kool Aid people!

Stay strong and be safe.

Cheers
Corey

•••
No plans to move my domains. I'll stick with Epik.

•••
Samer,

Stop worship Rob like God, we are human beings and we do make mistakes.
You blindly kiss his a$$ regardless of what he is doing. That's wrong.
This thread is about members helping other members in the current situation.

Open your eyes.

•••
keeping my domains ,adding google auth and sms auth tho, are you going to move to godaddy that got hacked? or Dynadot with ...
regardless of where you go they are prone to getting hack period.
any domainer should know this.

Last edited:
•••
If the actual auth codes to transfer away domain names was included in this hack then that's a huge issue.
AUTH codes are already refreshed according to Rob.

•••
I'll register more domains with them. I won't be leaving for now. I don't see any better option out there.

•••
Samer,

Stop worship Rob like God, we are human beings and we do make mistakes.
You blindly kiss his a$$ regardless of what he is doing. That's wrong.
This thread is about members helping other members in the current situation.

Open your eyes.

Ppl has their choice and preference, isn't it? You have your freedom to dislike, others have their freedom to like. Any wrong? From business perspective I like Epik, & personal perspective, I think Rob is a great person to work.

•••
I have many names with Epik, my plan is to continue that way, they are a prime target for such attacks but can happen somewhere else too. After 20+ years as a web developer I've seen a lot.
I'm monitoring my credit card (has a small limit anyway) and increased the security on my end.
Not much more I can do, just hope that Epik survives this and that clients aren't affected with identity theft, stolen funds, etc. Many of us are outside the US, will not receive automatic monitoring, will need to do such work on our own.
On a war between two sides those that have nothing to do with such confusion are those easily forgotten. I see so many people gloating and happy this happened to THOUSANDS of developers, entrepreneurs, small businesses... heartless and selfish.

Last edited:
•••
I was planning to transfer a good chunk of my folio to Epik (due to pricing) and I started to transfer some, but now will definitely hold off and will transfer any of the more valuable names out.

"and even some credit card numbers—all stored in plaintext."
"The data also includes Auth-Codes, passcodes that are needed to transfer a domain name between registrars."

These two bits are extremely concerning. What's sad is that Epik failed to acknowledge any of this and tell us what specific actions they are taking. Instead they are sending the hackers prayers? We need action, explanation, and future prevention. Not prayers.

Here's what I suggest:

1) Enable two factor authentification.
2) Change your password.
3) Transfer any highly valuable domain names OUT.

Last edited:
•••
The 'hack' either occurred prior to March (6 months ago) or it was a 'hack' of data that was stored at a supplier/2nd site. Either way, any 'damage' that would have happened including stolen names would have and/or should have happened well before now.

Codes have been changed, more than once, and if your names do not stay locked always (regardless of who your registrar might be) you probably should not dabbling in the art of domain investing.

Until/unless someone can legitimately report he/she has had a name stolen I'm not going to worry too much.

Back to the first paragraph, if the data was hacked 6 months ago, why did the hackers wait so long to make a production about it? Were they trying to extort Epik in the meantime or did they just manage to get get access to off core storage?

•••
That's why i suggest to anyone not to have all his names to only one registrar. I know that can be hard because of cheap pricing, but it is easier to move names. I say that regardless the current news.
I recognize that they are very innovative company, but any topic about safety must be taken very seriously.

Last edited:
•••
Agree, this thread is not about Rob and about the situation at Epik.

Also, I agree, that this forum is not the place to discuss or comment on religion, politics, nationality or race.

Also, how many domains we have at Epik - This has nothing to do with situation imo. Its not required.

Also, worlds most secured sites have been hacked in the past. How many had the guts to openly apologize and make amends.

Don't agree, I'm afraid. Epik marketed itself very much based on Rob's beliefs - free speech, liberty, security and privacy. A lot of the evidence would suggest that he has failed on these points.

I'm not anti Rob. I disagree with a lot he says, but I do support him on push back against aggressive cancellation and somewhat libertarian outlook. I'd barely used Epik, but I'd liked what I'd seen in terms of features etc.

Sadly Epik has demonstrated that its corporate processes didn't match these lofty ideals.

Equally, his response to the disaster has been made worse by his constant talk of God and demons etc. His inability to separate his business and his beliefs is one of the biggest issues for Epik.

Last edited:
•••
I don't have many domains at Epik, but almost all my names are parked with them because of their highly customizable landing pages.

Let's see how this pans out, for now I've just changed my password. At this point it doesn't make much sense to remove one's account IMO.

Last edited:
•••
Not worried. I don't have much on Epik anway.

I am a constant target of hack and scam attempts because of what I own. Hundreds of notifications of failed attempts weekly.

Little do they know...

Last edited:
•••
I have no longer any domains at epik
he is talking about severe issues at epik

and next he tells me that he prays for me?

that's what I call sarcasm

Yes

If this hack happened to dynadot or NSI (which potentially possible), they f**ked you up and they don;t even care to send you a solicitude

grow up, kid

•••
I don't care if he likes him or not but not coming to the thread and attack me.
I did not say anything wrong with Rob. He is blindly defends Rob regardless of the situation.
This thread is not about Rob but what would you do in this situation.

•••
My plan?
prison-escape-night.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back