IT.COM

advice Find leads for two-word domains by checking if the same domain with a dash is developed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The same goes for other domain names where they hyphenated version is owned by someone else. It could be an especially valuable tip if that domain name is already developed since the owner might be more inclined to buy the non-hyphenated version...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"It could be an especially valuable tip if that domain name is already developed"

Makes sense to me, generally when you start out and you want two keyword and you can't afford them because to budget restrictions, you are most likely to acquire (register) the hyphenated version. Once the domain is developed and the cash is flowing, you would be in a better financial position to buy the non-hyphenated version!

Just my thoughts...

•••
If all they could afford was the hyphenated version they were probably broke at the time they went into business, and what's more - desperate that they picked a domain with a hyphen where the same domain without the hyphen was either already developed or for some reason just not available to them.

So now you're targeting an entity that not only was lacking in funds, but as well settled for a crappy domain name with a hyphen (versus just finding something else that at least did not have a hyphen), and now you expect them to pony up funds for what they either decided not to obtain in the first place, or thought wouldn't affect them by being developed and right next door.

So you're targeting someone who has no vision, and laying out your cash up front to do this.

Last edited:
•••
I would not be as harsh with respect to view of owners and their original decision and vision. More times than we probably realize a startup is literally operating on a shoestring in the early days - borrowing from family, operating out of a basement, etc. Sure, it would be ideal to get a premium name right from the start, but if they put your money into that and have no funds to purchase the critical equipment needed for their research and development, and therefore the business fails, does that make sense? All they have left is a good domain name.

The sort of company in the tip are now doing better, and they brand up. Just like companies brand from a borrowed garage to a modest warehouse space to a real company physical space. I think much of the resale business is serving those who brand up. We should not disparage original domain choices, but be eager to serve those rebranding. Just my opinion..

I think that Darryl's suggestion, promoted by Elliot, has a lot of logical sense, and is valuable for those who do outbound to businesses.

•••
There must be some truth in what @xynames is saying.
Personally I prefer to let end users come to us. With that strategy there is a higher risk of running into TM issues. Especially if you just bought the domain in an attempt to sell it to them.
Well, the other party could be interested but they may not be willing to offer more than a few hundreds, especially if they are still in the 'launch' phase, or failed-to-take-off phase. I don't think our aim is to make $$$ sales.

Sure, it would be ideal to get a premium name right from the start, but if they put your money into that and have no funds to purchase the critical equipment needed for their research and development, and therefore the business fails, does that make sense? All they have left is a good domain name.
Exactly, at least they a great asset that can be resold, possibly at a higher price than what they paid for it. That's why buying a strong domain name is often a good idea.
If you have a crap name you can only drop it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back