IT.COM

Flippa.com just violated my privacy, employee calling names, doxxing.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So...

A while back I discovered a domain name with an existing website and community was listed for sale on Flippa without notifying the aforementioned community. I have no real problem with this, but figured the community in question should know, since the site hosts their written works. (If new owner doesn't want to keep it up, their work goes bye-bye unless the have it saved.)

I made a YouTube video complaining about it, but mostly for the goal of telling people to copy their work in case the site got domain parked, etc.

I also registered a complaint with Flippa, because the site being sold consisted of a Wordpress blog of other people's content (with permission from authors) and the contact info of said creators. Flippa's ToS prohibits the sale of content not owned by the seller, and none of the content was owned by the seller. Merely hosted/mirrored with permission.

Think of it like uploading a bunch of YouTube videos to your own site, then auctioning "a site full of videos!"

Flash forward, the broker from that exact sale comments on my video, calling it "moronic" and so forth. Argues with someone else in the comment thread, misrepresents/lies about what I said in the video right above his comment, etc.

Flippa actually sent the broker my video link (they asked for it) and violated the "anonymous" report service they claimed to have. They personally identified me to the person involved in the auction I was reporting.

Worst of all, the broker used my real name instead of my YouTube username, repeatedly, in an attempt to "dox" me, for lack of a better term. Calling someone by their legal name instead of their username (the only thing shown) is a clear intimidation tactic in my book.

I reported all of this to Flippa, and their response was that employees can do whatever they want outside of the site. Even though he was representing Flippa, using information Flippa gave him, etc.

So be warned - Flippa does not care about your privacy, and does not care about professionalism.

That's all!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Apologies for posting this in the wrong forum. Hope it wasn't a bother to move.

Reason for the bump:

It turns out the man who claimed to be the broker for the sale (then later went back on this) and went off on the unprofessional attempted-doxxing rant is their head of domain sales. That explains why Flippa said there was nothing they could do about it - not even ask him to stop.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back