Dynadot

*****Forum.com TM Question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but is it ok to register a domain name with a tm'd name followed by forum.

examples:
gmailforum.com, yahooforum.com, paypalforum.com, etc.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
wow, so the mercedes people really got their butt kicked
Yipee, three cheers for WIPO panelists

•••
yz0rx said:
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but is it ok to register a domain name with a tm'd name followed by forum.

examples:
gmailforum.com, yahooforum.com, paypalforum.com, etc.

Thanks

Any combo that involves WELL KNOWN TM is not good to register. However, some trademark combo names that involve "common" (and also trademarked) words can be registered, but should not be connected to TM owner business.

For example:
yahooforum.com >> NOT OK in any way (yahoo is not common word, and it is well known TM)
appleforum.com >> It's OK to register it, just DONT make of it forum about Apple computers. You can make forum about apple as fruit.

:imho:

jberryhill said:

Interesting case. Thanks for link.
:tu:

Last edited:
•••
play it safe and dont use TM names in your domains...

•••
Actually I am on the opposite side of the road from the rest of the posters.
I’ve registered many domains such as NvidiaForums.com, ATIForums.com (which I recently sold) I did this knowing that the companies would not care.
I also had others I sold such as AMDAthlonX2.com-again most companies won’t mind as long as you’re not a competitor.

•••
I am the webmaster of googleforums.org and google hasn't come after me yet, and i have seen googlecommunity.com around for a long time and google hasn't come after them... I think you should be fine!

•••
dsforsaken said:
play it safe and dont use TM names in your domains...
im with you on this one

•••
ture, lol.... if a company ever is having a bad day or needs cahs they will look for easy targets... I.E You lol

•••
Companies can not take a domain from you just because you own say Intelforums.net, fan sites for forums and reviews-tech support are allowed. The only way a company could ever take away a domain from you is if you are using their name is bad faith.
Also let us try not to make our personal opinions appear to be made out as fact; I’ve been in the domain business since 98 and I have owned a lot of domains that were HQ domains-sold them when I could.
When I owned several Intel websites I received processors directly from Intel to review, motherboards from Intel manufacturers...

Everything I have experienced from my years is that yes companies will try and scare you into giving them the domain name-or they may forcefully take it, I took some of my names back through legal means that they never thought I would take…others I agreed to sell them to the company for large sums of money.

Don't take my word or anyone's word for it here on the board, investigate it to your hearts content and then make your own judgment.

•••
dax said:
appleforum.com >> It's OK to register it, just DONT make of it forum about Apple computers. You can make forum about apple as fruit.

That would be an interesting forum :hehe:

•••
I think typically when it comes to TM'ed domains it really depends on the company. Some companies, such as Microsoft, have a known track record of going after copyright infringed domains. However, as a general rule if you are not competing with the company, not making money, and are promoting the company, you should be ok. You start to get in trouble when you start competing, making lots of money, or completely bashing the company.

Tom

•••
_FLIP_ said:
dax said:

That would be an interesting forum :hehe:

Yep! :D

•••
Whatcout with the MercedesShop case, it has a dissent, i.e. it was a divided decision.

JoshHendo said:
I am the webmaster of googleforums.org and google hasn't come after me yet, and i have seen googlecommunity.com around for a long time and google hasn't come after them... I think you should be fine!

I've seen a couple of WIPO cases, where the respondent argued that complainant was not following after each other domains using their trademark, and it was taking in favor for the panelist.

I think in your case, imho, though Im not a lawyer, you're somehow safe, and you could use this same argument in such case.

jeter4982 said:
However, as a general rule if you are not competing with the company, not making money, and are promoting the company, you should be ok.

As a general rule may be, but be carefull with companies that fall on you even before you start using the domain.
Ebay is one of those.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back