Domain Empire

question GeoDomains - relative value of US locations and what else outside of the US?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

33S

Established Member
Impact
Hi/ I'm looking at regging some [location][type of service].com geodomains. I've already regged some with US cities and states, actually half of the ones I've checked before regging were taken so I was actually glad that IMO I'm on the right track.

What I would like to know is how do I find out which US city/state keyword is more valuable than others? One idea I got is to check dnpric.es and search domains starting with location names and see which ones have more total sales. Any other way?

And which English-speaking countries have tld's that are available to anyone, not only residents? I know Australian TLD's are limited to residents.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The size/popularity of the city/area plays a major role. Obviously BostonPlumbing.com is going to be worth more than HartfordPlumbing.com because a larger city means more potential end users.

Also, what the city has going on matters. For instance travel destinations like Las Vegas are a lot better than their size when it comes to travel related domains. However, for commercial terms they are not that much better.

Brad

•••
The size/popularity of the city/area plays a major role. Obviously BostonPlumbing.com is going to be worth more than HartfordPlumbing.com because a larger city means more potential end users.

Also, what the city has going on matters. For instance travel destinations like Las Vegas are a lot better than their size when it comes to travel related domains. However, for commercial terms they are not that much better.

Brad

Thanks. The service in my keyword is not tourism related, it's for local people. More population-more value is of course true. But there are odd ones out. I looked at sales records on dnpric.es and saw domains with "Denver" having total sales of 170,887.61 USD (I've noticed only one weed-related for $1450), and domains with "Sacramento" being 37,985.47 USD totally. Denver isn't much bigger than Sacramento, and Sacramento is also in well economically developed area, but the sales of one is 4,5 times greater than the other. Why?

P.S. And about non-US ones, I got a couple of co.uk's, they don't have residency requirements.

Last edited:
•••
I live in the U.K. and you may like to know that if you have a .co.uk you are then entitled to register the .uk to go with it if you wish. Nobody else can register the .uk until next year I think.
I hope this helps.

Regards

Ralph.

•••
I live in the U.K. and you may like to know that if you have a .co.uk you are then entitled to register the .uk to go with it if you wish. Nobody else can register the .uk until next year I think.
I hope this helps.

Regards

Ralph.

Namecheap says the .uk version of my freshly regged .co.uk is available, but requires UK residence.

•••
I know I live in the U.K. but I recently bought a .co.uk. and then registered the equivalent .uk at Godaddy paying in U.S. dollars (because it's cheaper than paying in G.B.P) What I'm saying is that my Godaddy account is at GoDaddy.com not U.K. and I can pay in U.S. dollars.
It might be worth giving them a try. You don't have anything to lose.
Working the other way; I can register a .us name through that account even though I'm in the U.K.

Regards

Ralph.

•••
is possible that the price of Geo Domains will be affected by the last update of the google algorithm?
now on mobile search, are displayed as first result the businesses closest the user query.
if i try to put on google some Geo keyword, it is rare to find Geo Domains it the top positions, especially when they are used as offer comparison websites or lead generation. The power of the keyword is really lowered if behind there is not an authoritative website. It is very easy also to find the social page of businesses in page one and i think that people trust more those kind of businesses instead of the ones like:
HoustonKeyword.com

a little exceptions for the ones related laywers and attorneys.
Just my thoughts.. any other opinion?

•••
a little exceptions for the ones related laywers and attorneys

the kind of service my potential domains are for would require people to go to local place to receive it, like with lawyers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back