Dynadot

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Is it a late April Fool's joke?

It's not funny.

•••
We understand that the first reaction many Dan users have can be a negative one. However, please know that this is not your typical exit.

100% of Dan's employees including management and Reza won't leave the company
and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale.

We will build out our vision just with more resources at our disposal which we needed to push forward faster.

Give us some time and we will make our roadmap clearer and when that's in place, we believe the sentiment will turn positive.

Good things are ahead for domain investors!
Congrats on the agreement and for your exit, but if your real intentions are to build positive sentiments to domainers, the main asset of your business, maybe you should start by being honest to them and name this exit what it is: an exit. "Joining forces" is not synonymous with exit and domainers are not retards.

"100% of Dan's employees including management and Reza won't leave the company and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale."
Common, you are not leaving because the takeover must be a smooth process ensured by the DAN.com actual employees, because of GD contract, and not for that cheap line.

The fact that all your communications are full of distortions is not creating trust at all, but the opposite.

•••
Maybe they will change name to GoDandy :unsure:

•••
•••
I am already investigating the viability of Etsy as well as software packages that support domain landers.

I think you mean Efty. The only thing is they charge a monthly fee.

•••
Its not domaining anymore. Lets call it what it is -GoDaddying.

•••
It has been quite a day and it is far from over.

These are fascinating times in the world, and domains still matter. Epik is keen to empower all that we can for as long as we can. The oligarchs that aim to enslave do routinely seek to slow us down.

May the Lord continue to guide our steps, and allow us to be in the right place in the right time. For folks who choose Epik, now that we are doing our best to keep up.

Our plan is to stay independent and to be owned by sovereign individuals. If folks are seeking investor information, please don't contact me directly but rather email to [email protected] for details about that topic.

God bless you all.

Epik could actually disrupt the 'battlefield' if they decided to let go of some of their old ways.

You've got a registrar, you've got a marketplace. Decent Landers. Able to work on low commission.

All the ingredients are there if it wasn't for a tarnished brand.

With the right rebranding and repositioning you can easily change that around and challenge the status quo... There's so much untapped potential.

Last edited:
•••
If Epik can seriously work on making their landers more beautiful, they have my whole business. @Rob Monster

•••
Congrats to them for the sell out - nice payday after the years of hard work.....

Crap news news for the rest of us..... but at the end of the day a nice target for start ups is the buyout option and who can blame them if they got a nice ROI

All we can do is watch this space and see how it pans out......while planning for the worst case scenario

•••
bad news especially for newbies. What a pandemic!

•••
Still dont know good or bad news. Until this question answered:
Does the commission still remain 9%, and 5% for lead?

•••
Not according to Dynadot founder Todd Han, who said this just a few weeks ago:

"Dynadot will become an employee-owned company starting in 2023. We decided that employees should own Dynadot instead of venture capital or a private equity firm," says Todd. "Dynadot has stayed independent as almost all the registrars around us have been bought up. Employee ownership will guarantee that we are accountable to our customers instead of a faraway banker."

We strive to serve our customers, not outside investors. By becoming employee-owned, the individual and collective hard work of the Dynadot team will continue to drive the company's success in the long term. Our employees can feel secure that a merger or acquisition will not throw them off course, allowing them to perform confidently in their roles. Most importantly, we can continue to keep our customers at the forefront of our efforts.
GoDaddy: "We'll offer you $800 million to join the GD family"

Dynadot: Ok then

•••
I hope it was a really bad joke.

•••
I hope GD doesn't take over Namepros.

•••
I do have a gut feeling that GoDaddy will raise the fees to 20% to "standardize" their fee structure.
Well no matter what happens, it's exactly the way that Reza Sardeha wanted it to be. He said as much...

•••
•••
That is a bit cryptic...what else might be coming?!?!

Epik is still my marketplace of choice...wouldn't now be a great time to discount from 9% to 5% to encourage those leaving Dan to list on the Epik marketplace? Just a thought...maybe do it for a month or two.

Also, is there a transfer deal on the horizon? There are still a few domains I'd like to move...I will keep an eye on the Epik thread so you do not have to post anything in this thread that might be off topic.

It has been whispered for a while Godaddy was acquiring someone of note and it seems the Dan buyout fits the bill...are there any 'back room' discussions you have been privy to suggesting another buyout? I've heard there is still another acquisition coming and someone has mentioned the name of a potential party in this thread already.

the only thing I've been hearing for while is how dan owners are working on new updates and mega bright future for all... oh well looks like we all been taken for nice little ride and if u flash enuff cash to anyone they gonna forget their own name and they mama name too... chiching

Last edited:
•••
We understand that the first reaction many Dan users have can be a negative one. However, please know that this is not your typical exit.

100% of Dan's employees including management and Reza won't leave the company
and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale.

We will build out our vision just with more resources at our disposal which we needed to push forward faster.

Give us some time and we will make our roadmap clearer and when that's in place, we believe the sentiment will turn positive.

Good things are ahead for domain investors!
This is what aquirees generally think at the time of acquisation.

But track record of Godaddy is much much more proven than even facebook. though there are lots of parellels.

Dig out the list of all acquisitions by Godaddy, or Facebook, you will get to know how it goes down the road.

•••
GoDaddy: "We'll offer you $800 million to join the GD family"

Dynadot: Ok then
First they will put GoDaddy's request in a queue and after 5 minutes reply, ok.

•••
Even with a DDC membership, you pay an awful lot more with GoDaddy than with other registrars
I've had the DDC club for more years than I can remember...cancelled it about a month ago and they still charged me about 350. Had to file a dispute with my bank...shortly after I got the 'official' notice from daddy my money had been returned.

The customer service rep spent quite a while pushing my request for a bigger discount than the initial one they offered me (of course they dropped it about a third as soon as I said cancel). She said it went up the ladder two levels but the final number was not acceptable to me. She indicated that many had called to complain and/or cancel.

I only have about a hundred names left there from auctions but I will be transferring them away as they come up for renewal. Too many registrars offer much better pricing without the 'club' crap.

•••
It is what it is. I liked having the two separate.

•••
I'm wonderin if they're referring to Goddady with their latest product update.

Screenshot_20220628_214427.jpg

Last edited:
•••
I hope dan can tell us if this was a buyout or a partnership

These two terms mean the same thing in 2022 and using the PR-friendly "partnership" when referring to a standard company takeover is simply a way to assuage customer fears, and try to ensure they all don't get scared and jump ship to a competitor.

"Don't worry everyone, this isn't a traditional corporate acquisition, it's a 'partnership'" :xf.rolleyes:

I read press releases every day that use "partnership" to try and conceal that the company is now under new ownership, and sometimes these "new owners" go to extremes to really hide the fact they have taken over control.

Last edited:
•••
My wife said this is not a good news.
Dan will lose a lot of Customers as GD will eventually integrate with their system like Afternic. The results of this buy out:
- GD will increase the commission from 9% to whatever we don't know yet
- Dan employees will either leave or join GD and the response time for support will be terrible
- They will require all sellers in the U.S. to submit the 1099 form so they can file at the end of the year to Uncle Sam
- and more...

Big Fish always eat Small Fish to eliminate the Competition.
Nothing we can do - either stay with Dan or leave....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back