Domain Empire

information Handshake TLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Johnny Wu

Impact
I just wanted to share that it's now actually possible for anyone to get TLDs. Instead of the $185k application fee it costs to apply for a TLD to ICANN, there's a blockchain project called Handshake that instead distributes TLDs through auctions. Highest bidder wins the name and only pays the 2nd highest bid, so in an auction where there are no other bidders, the winner wins the name for free!

These TLDs live on the Handshake blockchain, which browsers don't yet support, but it turns out you can still access Handshake domains by using the HNS.to search engine — try using it to search "home.hns" or "github.hns". Emoji domains like "home.🧼" are also possible.

For those interested in getting personalized TLDs, the easiest way to bid on Handshake domains is probably through Namebase, which can be reached by searching "home.nb" on HNS.to. You can also visit "learn.nb" to read more about Handshake and Namebase.

Cheers and happy naming!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
:blackeye:
I just wanted to share that it's now actually possible for anyone to get TLDs. Instead of the $185k application fee it costs to apply for a TLD to ICANN, there's a blockchain project called Handshake that instead distributes TLDs through auctions. Highest bidder wins the name and only pays the 2nd highest bid, so in an auction where there are no other bidders, the winner wins the name for free!

These TLDs live on the Handshake blockchain, which browsers don't yet support, but it turns out you can still access Handshake domains by using the HNS.to search engine — try using it to search "home.hns" or "github.hns". Emoji domains like "home.🧼" are also possible.

For those interested in getting personalized TLDs, the easiest way to bid on Handshake domains is probably through Namebase, which can be reached by searching "home.nb" on HNS.to. You can also visit "learn.nb" to read more about Handshake and Namebase.

Cheers and happy naming!
I can’t believe you invented this crazy idea, it’s a chaos for domain industry, you’re totally neglecting the art of monopolization possibilities, I dislike u.

•••
I can’t believe you invented this crazy idea, it’s a chaos for domain industry, you’re totally neglecting the art of monopolization possibilities, I dislike u.
haha

Is he the founder?

•••
•••
Kinda envy so many such smart guys in the planet, what’s my benefit if say...I own .trump and 10000 websites using my tld? Do they pay me renewal fees annually?

•••
Kinda envy so many such smart guys in the planet, what’s my benefit if say...I own .trump and 10000 websites using my tld? Do they pay me renewal fees annually?
Of course. Plus all the registry premiums
That is why donuts is marketing so many TLDs
That is why neustar bought .co for more than 109 Million dollars

Last edited:
•••
Of course. Plus all the registry premiums
That is why donuts is marketing so many TLDs
That is why neustar bought .co for more than 109 Million dollars
I haven't studied their mechanism yet, kinda curious what if I created .trump in HNS and then I bankrupted can not affording it anymore...would all the websites that under my .trump suspended?...or maybe just to lead to auction automatically...

•••
I haven't studied their mechanism yet, kinda curious what if I created .trump in HNS and then I bankrupted can not affording it anymore...would all the websites that under my .trump suspended?...or maybe just to lead to auction automatically...
I am not very familiar with how the blockchain only TLDs will work, so my example of neustar is invalid. I don't think we can compare now, but not sure

•••
This world is getting crazier, let me young again!

•••
This world is getting crazier, let me young again!
Ah, to be 20 and foolish again,. I think I would waste it even harder..... hahaha

•••
•••
Haha not the inventor by any means, just a big fan of this project

•••
So the cost of running the Handshake ".trump" TLD is pretty negligible — it's one mining transaction fee every 2 years, which currently costs about a penny. However indeed if you are unable to process that transaction fee, the name would go back into the auction pile. Namebase sends these renewal fees automatically for you so anyone using our platform (I work at Namebase) wouldn't need to worry about this step :)

Last edited:
•••
which browsers don't yet support,
<<<< THIS
.....yes with certain search work arounds or add-ons on some browsers, I know.. but most people will want and need a domain name that just works, in my opinion.

Maybe a different, and chaotic, alternative domain name world will take hold, and know various working in the area for some time, but it is not yet here (for the vast majority of users) in my opinion. And that is good for domainers.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
<<<< THIS
.....yes with certain search work arounds or add-ons on some browsers, I know.. but most people will want and need a domain name that just works, in my opinion.

Maybe a different, and chaotic, alternative domain name world will take hold, and know various working in the area for some time, but it is not yet here (for the vast majority of users) in my opinion. And that is good for domainers.

Bob
These domains in fact already work by adding "hns.to" in front. For example, try visiting "hns.to/home.nb", "hns.to/linkedin.johnnywu" or even "hns.to/home.🧼" directly in your browser — they resolve.

•••
Yes, I did understand that, but will the general public of users add that? Will Google add that in the search results people use? Will voice search find them? Will people want all of that spelled out on billboards or business cards? I remain sceptical, but perhaps just set in my ways. As flawed as it is, I prefer a centralized and regulated DNS system.
Bob

•••
These will eventually stand alone. For example, I bought “bots”. In the near future I could build AI.bots, VR.bots or whatever.

Not something I’d spend a bunch of money on but worth risking a few dollars imo.

•••
Yes, I did understand that, but will the general public of users add that? Will Google add that in the search results people use? Will voice search find them? Will people want all of that spelled out on billboards or business cards? I remain sceptical, but perhaps just set in my ways. As flawed as it is, I prefer a centralized and regulated DNS system.
Bob

Skepticism is understandable! I would like to point out that Handshake is just decentralizing the root layer of the DNS system, which is currently monopolized by ICANN. It still depends on the existing DNS system, which in fact is pretty decentralized itself.

•••
These will eventually stand alone. For example, I bought “bots”. In the near future I could build AI.bots, VR.bots or whatever.

Not something I’d spend a bunch of money on but worth risking a few dollars imo.

Indeed I strongly believe that Handshake TLDs will eventually standalone! This does require adoption by browsers, which could be the make-or-break point, but even without browsers these TLDs still work.

Speaking of "standalone", it's also possible to use Handshake TLDs as standalone domain names without subdomains. For example, our CEO has his home page set as just "tieshun" — try searching that on HNS.to or via hns.to/tieshun :)

•••
Speaking of "standalone", it's also possible to use Handshake TLDs as standalone domain names without subdomains. For example, our CEO has his home page set as just "tieshun" — try searching that on HNS.to or via hns.to/tieshun :)
You can’t type tieshun in your browser and go directly to a page. That’s the problem and why it’s necessary for these to work via something like me.tieshun

•••
AlterNIC 1995, RealNames 1997, .... Bex DNS ... what's next?

•••
You can’t type tieshun in your browser and go directly to a page. That’s the problem and why it’s necessary for these to work via something like me.tieshun
Ah right, Handshake TLDs can be used as standalone domain names by adding a "/" at the end. So in this case, searching "tieshun/" let's your browser know it's a Handshake domain instead of an ICANN TLD. Note that this is for those who have either downloaded a browser extension or changed their DNS settings to resolve Handshake domains — the "/" isn't necessary when HNS.to is used since that search bar assumes everything is a Handshake domain.

•••
So the cost of running the Handshake ".trump" TLD is pretty negligible — it's one mining transaction fee every 2 years, which currently costs about a penny. However indeed if you are unable to process that transaction fee, the name would go back into the auction pile. Namebase sends these renewal fees automatically for you so anyone using our platform (I work at Namebase) wouldn't need to worry about this step :)
Thank you for reply.
I guess this is still many things to work on, I am just curious if adopting a personal tld is that cheap how can HNS make sure its value persistency (no pain no value), or they only considered the benefits for end users?
At least .eth .crypto locked up/tag the prices for dictionary, trending, trademark words very cautiously, what’s the mechanism insuring it’s value?
Look at the big picture no matter how awesome is it, the values of HNS domains is all depend on how much likelihood that people are willing build dapps or defi programs on this blockchain right? I think for now the majorities they’ve only heard of ETH, EOS etc. since they’re so famous on the social media.
I mean this is a great idea and it seems inevitably will come out such business model while no one others did, but it’s way too early for general domainers, but I get it it’s the timing to ambush to gain their awareness though.

Last edited:
•••
Handshake TLDs is how I recently got into buying and selling domains on the 'old' internet as I call it. The new web will be decentralized and built on the blockchain, this I am quite sure of. This is especially going to increasingly be the case and more apparent over the next 5-10 years. As the Ethereum blockchain becomes more upgraded as it currently is in the process of, it will be able to process theoretically millions of transactions per second, which is more than what the major credit card processors can do.

TLDs like Handshake ones will probably be most popular at first within the tech industry, and then branch out from there. I have already picked up 170 TLDS and am bidding on more every day. I figure some of them will be worth something, and in fact I've sold Handshake TLDs for BIN prices already, ussing that money to bid on and buy more Handshake TLDs.

Eventually, I hope to be a registrar of sorts for some of the best TLDs I have and rent out domains people register under them for an annual feel like is done on the old internet.

It's all still in its infancy, but it could be worth getting in on it, as a first mover advantage sort of thing.

•••
I understand what you said, and I don't think it can be accepted by the existing vested interests. So, who will pay to support it?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back