IT.COM

discuss Hosting your own domain portfolio website...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
... is it really worth it?

OK, so you have your own website showcasing your entire domain portfolio. Is it REALLY worth it?

I took mine offline last year after making some changes, but wonder if its really worth it. Afterall, the majority of my domains point to Afternic servers and unless you are directing enough traffic to your portfolio, it could be a waste of time (and money).

Social Media, particularly Twitter does the job in marketing my domains, so why bother?

How about you? Does having your own website portfolio work for you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One word: TRUST.

No personal portfolio site can provide with the trust comparing to one of old known marketplaces.

Of course, commissions etc... Sending clients to other domains... On the second plate of scales.

Realizing this, i think everyone should find their own balance.

•••
One word: TRUST.

No personal portfolio site can provide with the trust comparing to one of old known marketplaces.

Of course, commissions etc... Sending clients to other domains... On the second plate of scales.

Realizing this, i think everyone should find their own balance.

if you want to buy

GreatDomainForMyBusiness.com

do you need trust?
or the Domain?

is escrow.com
or paypal
not enough for creating trust?

•••
It really, really depends on how you build that site. And if you have the experience behind, the skills to market it, get buyers, create a strong brand. Few are able though.

My first question for them would be, have you ever created something of that magnitude already? If not, tough. Not to mention that the ratio is 5:1 or 10:1, meaning, you create a successful one then chances are for many flops.

I'm building one right now, and have a very precise plan in place. All needed factored in from the start.

If your project is a mere listing, won't work. If it is a complete venture in the unknown, again, chances are it won't work. My biggest past project was getting 50K users a day. One I still have is getting 1K / day, not that big but pays hourly.

•••
for me, it is not really for sell(I basically believe good name sell themself)...it is for fun...some time, just enjoy play those letters, font, color..etc, enjoy make my names looks better...(well, my wife told me that my site is totally ugly and bs...anyway...:banghead:

Last edited:
•••
It is worth it on any level as only costs about $100-150 a year anywhere. I won't suggest that this is all you do as it is the established marketplaces that have the domain interest.

•••
the problem with DAN / sedo / epik / afternic is
that they don't care for your needs the same way you do

you have certain ideas
they don't share

so when you want it to perform
the way you want it
you have no choice

I just switched back
from dan to my own landers

http://pkws.com

awesome lander! I've considered doing something like this for a while now. I currently use Efty, it's easy and fairly inexpensive. While maintaining a bunch of landers (not to mention standing them up) seems a bit involved, though I love doing things on the tech side, it's a time issue for me. I'd love to hear if you have some tips/tricks to make it fairly easy - I've got hosting for unlimited sites, so it's not a cost issue, just the time to stand it all up and maintain it (though it should be a set it and forget it). I assume you have a template - is it html or wordpress or something else? Thanks for any response you can provide!

•••
awesome lander! I've considered doing something like this for a while now. I currently use Efty, it's easy and fairly inexpensive. While maintaining a bunch of landers (not to mention standing them up) seems a bit involved, though I love doing things on the tech side, it's a time issue for me. I'd love to hear if you have some tips/tricks to make it fairly easy - I've got hosting for unlimited sites, so it's not a cost issue, just the time to stand it all up and maintain it (though it should be a set it and forget it). I assume you have a template - is it html or wordpress or something else? Thanks for any response you can provide!

•••
I work on it far too long..
About tweaking it for 2 years by now

my tip get server or vps
So you have an IP
And use catch all for the domain

and in ns setting use that IP as A record

•••
I work on it far too long..
About tweaking it for 2 years by now

my tip get server or vps
So you have an IP
And use catch all for the domain

and in ns setting use that IP as A record

Do you get most of your sales from there Frank or from places like Afternic/Sedo?

•••
Do you get most of your sales from there Frank or from places like Afternic/Sedo?

I get similar results at DAN / versus my own LP
just now I send the traffic to DAN
as they changed the LP which I found not so great before

sedo is rare as I don't send traffic there
same for afternic as I mainly invest in .de

•••
It really, really depends on how you build that site. And if you have the experience behind, the skills to market it, get buyers, create a strong brand. Few are able though.

My first question for them would be, have you ever created something of that magnitude already? If not, tough. Not to mention that the ratio is 5:1 or 10:1, meaning, you create a successful one then chances are for many flops.

I'm building one right now, and have a very precise plan in place. All needed factored in from the start.

If your project is a mere listing, won't work. If it is a complete venture in the unknown, again, chances are it won't work. My biggest past project was getting 50K users a day. One I still have is getting 1K / day, not that big but pays hourly.
Do you build your own web site for your own domains that will attract buyers / traffic to your site from SEO point of view? Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back