Dynadot

advice How Can I Get Twitter Username That Fits Domain?

NameSilo
Watch

CJ6

My favorite movies are too offensive now. Whimps.Top Member
Impact
I'm looking for advice.

I am in the process of developing a website. I would like it to have a Twitter presence with the username being the domain.

For instance, I'm developing ThisSite.com. Twitter Username "ThisSite" is taken, but nothing has been tweeted in 6 years. I went ahead and registered the Twitter handle "ThisSite_com". I would prefer "ThisSite" though.

I checked and the user has some insanely long email that was not associated with ThisSite.com. Therefore, a password reset wouldn't work.

Is there any way I can get Twitter to give me the name? I do not have any trademarks...I'm just in the process of developing ThisSite.com.
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have you tried talking to Twitter support and asking them to release the username/handle to you due to its inactive status?

•••
They will not for sure ..i tried it earlier

•••
Is there any way I can get Twitter to give me the name?
Thanks

Have you asked them?

https://support.twitter.com/articles/15362#

Inactive account policy
What is Twitter's inactive account policy?

We encourage users to actively log in and use Twitter when they register an account. To keep your account active, be sure to log in and Tweet every 6 months. Accounts may be permanently removed due to prolonged inactivity. Please use your account once you sign up!

How does Twitter determine inactivity?
Inactivity is based on a combination of tweeting and logging in. Please note that you may not be able to tell whether an account is currently inactive, as not all signs of account activity are publicly visible.

http://blog.testlio.com/post/claiming-a-twitter-username-thats-already-been-taken

1. Make sure the account is inactive.
    Check that there are no tweets or have been for a while. Twitter suggests you login at least once in six months. For @testlio there were no tweets at all but I wanted to be sure it's not a recently created account and found this tool wich showed me that it was created over 2 years ago.

2. Make sure you have a .com domain or active trademark for that name.
    The process should go smoothly if you own a .com domain for the twitter name you want to claim. It goes even faster with an active trademark to put on the table which was the case with my friend Val with @Blacklist handle.

I have heard they will take away truly inactive accounts - they are desperate for more users so it would be a plus to them to have you as a user. If the name became free you could just take it to replace the current one, taking all your followers with you to the new name.

•••
EDIT: @carob 's solution looks much more promising, I was still composing this post!

EDIT TWO: After reading that article, which is from 2013, it looks like the comments are indicating that method does not work anymore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The TM route is the only way I know has worked, more than likely more trouble and expense than you want
https://techcrunch.com/2016/04/10/oh-god-vain-much/

Now we just need to figure out where the cheapest trademark that will work is, US DIY is $225
https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-ap...ng-online/trademark-application-fee-structure

Maybe if there are other countries with cheaper TM we could get it using proxy addresses

This is the Int'l TM
http://www.wipo.int/madrid/en/fees/sched.html
653 Swiss Franc equals 641.71 US Dollar

Still takes 6 months to 2 years
http://patentinindia.com/trademark-registration-india/
7000 Indian Rupee equals 102.69 US Dollar

I'm just using this list and whatever is cheapest I go look that one up
http://www.wipo.int/madrid/en/fees/ind_taxes.html

When did you first register ThisSite/com and what is the date of twitter @ TheSite?

Last edited:
•••
@carob In regards to the article you posted about asking them, within the article it states, "We do not generally accept requests for usernames that seem inactive. If a username you would like is being used by an account that seems inactive, you should consider selecting an available variation for your use on Twitter."

@usernamex Thanks for the trademark info. Unfortunately, I would rather put that money into my website more than anything. I'm not building it to make money. It's a hobby of mine (in the 4x4 niche).

I registered the domain about 7 months ago. I still don't have an active site on it because I'm trying to find a decent website software to use. It's just a custom Site Coming Soon Landing page.

The Twitter account last tweeted in Sept 2010...only has 5 tweets...and only tweeted for 2 days total, Sept 24-25.

Last edited:
•••
@carob "We do not generally accept requests for usernames that seem inactive. If a username you would like is being used by an account that seems inactive, you should consider selecting an available variation for your use on Twitter."
Yes that is their general policy, but the article from testlio says they think Twitter will consider it if you hold the corresponding com domain and the Twitter account is not active. Certainly they did that for Testlio.com So when you have a site up you have nothing to lose by asking.

I see Twitter say they have the right to close an account if it has been inactive for 6 months. I am surprised they do not auction their "premium" names - they really need the money.

•••
Being trying for months to no avail.

•••
I guess you already asked/contacted that account holder? (or I maybe missed that, then please ignore)

Via hubspot and lots of other tools you can find out the contacts, (working)email, etc..

•••
Try contacting the account holder first.

If that doesn't work pick another name.

Use some other version or a shorter version or some type of abbreviation.

It is nice to have the exact name, but not necessary.

I have had to do this several times when picking a username where the domain name was to long for the amount of alotted characters.

It works out just fine.

•••
Previously you could only DM a Twitter account if they follow you - I am not sure if now the default for new accounts is to allow DMs from anyone, in any case you can now set the account to accept DMs from anyone.

I have the opposite problem of having some nice Twitter handles I do not want, and I assumed they would eventually delete them or give them away. I can't be bothered to log in and delete them. Long ago I disabled notifications from them or else created a filter to send their emails to a trash folder. Suddenly over xmas Twitter re-started emailing them all to tempt them into posting - a bit desperate. None of these accounts have posted in 5+ years - they date to a time when Twitter ToS did not forbid selling names and they were taken to go with domains I no longer have.

So I just do not understand why they don't start cancelling inactive accounts and selling the names. Or warn account holders and charge a re-activation fee?

I guess it helps them more to have as many accounts as possible to make them look more active? Or maybe behind the scenes there is a flood of requests for names that have been taken and they just can't handle the numbers.

Last edited:
•••
I'm working on populating my site now. Maybe I'll go the trademark route to see if it will work (without getting a tm). But, if I get funds, maybe I'll go for an actual trademark, them go after the name. We will see.

•••
Maybe we all sign petitions to twitter, there's a couple, some expired, obviously none worked. Or start a movement on twitter itself and see if we can pressure them.

Last times I got biz names twitter availability influenced my decision, silly since I barely tweet, like to have it just in case.

So I just do not understand why they don't start cancelling inactive accounts and selling the names. Or warn account holders and charge a re-activation fee?

I will never understand why companies don't adapt. Plenty has been written about this, overwhelming landrush at release might be why they don't.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back