IT.COM

question How do you Sell Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I don't know anything about domain names, but I'd like to know how to sell them.
I have a domain name that I bought awhile ago, ended up never using it, and I still have it, so I've decided to sell it.

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give to me.

How do I go about selling a domain? How do I let people know it's for sale, where do I advertise or list it? How can I find a place to list it where people might be interested in it?

And, if I get someone who is interested in it, how do I officially *sell* it to them?

Thanks for your help!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Set up a website to list your domains. You can put them for sale in forums like this one or domainstate and others. I just accept payment by paypal. Once you have the money in your account--never before this time! Then you just push your domain to their account. If you they don't have an account at your registrar then most places send an email to the buyer with info on how to open a free account. You can also setup a free account for them then email them the user id and password after you receive payment. It's a pretty simple process unless your dealing with thousands of dollars then it might get a little tricker with escrow, etc. You can also auction your domains on ebay but make sure you put a reserve or someone will $1 on the last day and bye bye domain.

•••
What is the name of the domain? his will help in determining where and how to market your sale, we need to know what you have to offer.

•••
Thanks.

So I could set up a site mentioning they are for sale and list them on forums like this?

What about domain name auction sites? There must be domain 'classifieds' or auction sites out there, just like there are with other things for sale. What are some good ones to list on? Are there free classifieds?

I've registered the name with Register.com, so I suppose I could always contact them & ask how to transfer if I sell the name, right?

•••
My domain name is LaboratoryTools.com
Never used it, so I figured I might as well sell it.

How much do you think it's worth?

•••
I don't.
Then I become miserable.
Then I pity myself. :(

•••
What do you mean? You don't think the domain is worth anything?

•••
laboratorytools.com is the domain, I did some free appraisals & one said the domain was just worth $400-750, another said $600, yet another said $1000-2500

So I dunno, with such variation! I know there must be someone who could definately use it-- someone who sells medical supplies, or research supplies, or microscopes and slides, etc... or maybe someone who would set online research tools, like databases and genetic pedigrees and lab reports... that kind of stuff.

•••
If you try to sell it here or in another domain broker forums then you'll get less for it...wholesale over retail price. $200-1,000 seems possible but it will be more work. I would setup a webpage with sale and contact info so when someone visits laboratorytools.com they can see the sale info and are not greeted by a 404.

Register.com isn't very good for domain selling I'm not sure if they offer free domain push service I beleive they charge per transfer but I might be wrong. Ask them if they have any transfer fees if you sell your domain and want to transfer it to someone else. If they do you can have the buyer pick that fee up it would hurt if it's a hefty fee (more then $10-15).

Some good things about that domain:
Dictionary Words: 2
Total Word Score: 0
Google Hits: 3,510
Overture Hits: 75

•••
Originally posted by emmeraldequine
Thanks.

So I could set up a site mentioning they are for sale and list them on forums like this?---Edit: YES

What about domain name auction sites? There must be domain 'classifieds' or auction sites out there, just like there are with other things for sale. What are some good ones to list on? Are there free classifieds?
I never sold anything through the domain auction sites but I'm not a huge domain broker or anything.
Here a some you can check out:
http://www.afternic.com/
http://www.DomainState/auction.php3?
greatdomains.com (I think they're still around).

...and of course ebay. If you go this route don't forget to put a reserve.

•••
Wow, thanks for your help.
What are 'overture hits'?

•••
Originally posted by emmeraldequine
Wow, thanks for your help.
What are 'overture hits'?
Someone else can probably explain this better but basically overture sells listings by auctioning off search terms to the highest bidder. By having Overture hits it means your search terms (in your case laboratory and tools) are desirable and popular search terms for marketing terms used in Internet searches. Meaning if someone is doing a search regarding labs on a SE they might use the term "laboratory" thus making your domain name an overture hit if listed in the search engines.

You might want to try the domain self-appraisal tool here:
http://www.namepros.com/dna/

Don't know how accurate that is but should provide you with a ball park idea along with the other appraisals.

•••
Ok, so where's a good place to register domains?

Also, I want to set up a site for Laboratorytools.com, however, I don't want to have to pay for a server.... I already pay for server space for my other sites, don't want to pay for more for this domain.

Is there someplace that does something like free URL cloaking? Or is there a free server where I could have my domain laboratorytools.com point to it? I wouldn't like to have to get a whole new server or do something like that just to set up 1 page, but then I do want people to see something when they type in 'laboratorytools.com'.

•••
Check out echotera.com if you're like me when I started, I was paying for 5 seperate hosting plans for 5 different sites. Now I have over 100 sites and they're all done for $15 a month, I like it. THey can start you out for $10 a month, tell them don from KingDOnsLeather sent you, they'll give you a deal. Also check out a member here named lotsofissues, he has a nice plan to that's almost the same thing, and he's always around.

•••
To register domains I like godaddy $8.95 per domain plus free transfers and great service. I also have domains with eNom and registerfly but godady is my favorite.
http://www.godaddy.com
Godaddy also has free domain forwarding which allows you to direct incoming traffic to an already existing site. So for example you can setup a page for labatory tools under your current website for example: yourwebsite.com/labtools.html then log into your domain manager w/ godaddy and forward all incoming traffic from laboratorytools.com to yourwebsite.com/labtools.html. It's free and you don't have to pay to host laboratorytools.com. Visitors to laboratorytools.com won't know that they have forwarded to yourwebsite.com/labtools.html.

•••
For the same $10 a month you pay to host one of your sites, you can get all your sites hosted for the low price of $10, no sub pages, just pure dot coms. I used to do the Godaddy forward thing, but it's so much more professional to have each site set up independently as its own web address, at least to me it looks better.

Any way the thing with me switching over to this new system of becoming my own hosting company was a little scary at first, but I had to step out of my comfort zone, now I save $50 a month on hosting, and I host a ton of sites. Check it out, you can do it, and it only costs about $10 a month to try. Stop paying people for hosting and do it yourself, if I can do it, anyone can. Ask lotsofissues here on the forum, he will set you up with something, this just puts you one level closer to the top.

•••
I do agree it's easier I personally have a reseller hosting account although I don't resell hosting I use it because I can host all my domains under one account but domain forwarding is a quick way to get a site up for a person who can't host multiple domains from their account and doesn't want to pay additional hosting fees.

BTW KingDon I tried to visit the link you suggested:
http://echotera.com but the site is down.

•••
A blast from the past, one of the oldest threads on Namepros. 21 years later.

•••
so you figured it out yet?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back