Dynadot

How long does it take a domain to drop?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brandnow

Selling hotcakesTop Member
Impact
Maybe this is domaining 101 for some people this question. But I have always, always hand-regged domains or bought on the aftermarket for investing. I don't want to get in the business of competing to get dropping domains, even if that is where a lot of money is. But in particular there are two domains I want registered by other people. Both domains that I want here (for personal use) have already expired.

One is a .org registered with Namecheap and it expired on April-19-2015. Any ideas when this domain will drop?

The second domain is a .club registered with GoDaddy and it expired on May-09-2015. Any ideas when this domain will drop?

Thank you for your insight!

edit: to add some more info.. I don't want to pay for a backorder service because these domains are just for personal use / development.. and probably not even worth the fee of the backorder service.. just want to get a better idea when I might be able to register them

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
just curious for best guesses or estimates.. I know there's no definite answer :)

•••
The typical crap domain drops on day 75-76 after expiration, but there are exceptions.

Go Daddy starts an auction on expired names starting on day 25 after expiration; the auctions run 10 days. Even if you win a Go Daddy auction, the original registrant can renew ($80) or transfer out up to day 45 (the buyer will get a full refund). If the name is not renewed, the buyer will acquire the name on day 45 or 46.

Some of the other registrars use Namejet, so it's important to know where the name has been registered.

Crazy, isn't it?

•••
The typical crap domain drops on day 75-76 after expiration, but there are exceptions.

Go Daddy starts an auction on expired names starting on day 25 after expiration; the auctions run 10 days. Even if you win a Go Daddy auction, the original registrant can renew ($80) or transfer out up to day 45 (the buyer will get a full refund). If the name is not renewed, the buyer will acquire the name on day 45 or 46.

Some of the other registrars use Namejet, so it's important to know where the name has been registered.

Crazy, isn't it?

That's crazy. I wrongly assumed it was easy. Like 'just wait 2 - 3 weeks after expiration' then register them. Dang. So it may be too hard to get these domains I want. I still don't think it's worth $25 for a backorder service. I just want the names, but not that much.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back