Dynadot

advice Keeping a Physical Registry Notebook

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainNature

Top Member
Impact
I have buy recently an physical registry notebook, it is named For in and Out Notebook, i bought from Chinese on Aliexpress, because it is the only one I found with so many boxes. Based on 40 pages and each page has 24 lines, you can write up to almost 2000 domains in it.
So I decided to keep a physical registry, due to not trust in the digital one.
And I recommend to everyone, most for beginners to keep such a notebook, because it is easier to write in the beginning than later, of course you can hide it in a safe so no one will peek into it to see your domains.
Here is how I write mine.

1. Quantity number of domains.
2. domain name.
3. Reg Data.
4. SC (screenshot) if you took a screenshot when it was available to hand reg or after your reg/drop catch it, good for security reasons. I did not write yet mine but will do that later after will finish with all domains.
5. ER (email receipt) when you get from the registrar the email with domain registration info.
6. RG (registrar) PB mean Porkbun in my case.
7. IN (invoice) the invoice of your registered domain on registrar side.
8. PM (payment method) PP 'Paypal' CC 'credit card' etc.
9. # number from 1 to 10 how good is the domain name, in your perspective, from the accumulated experience, a deciding factor when considering to keep it or drop, sell, liquidate.
10. Price, how much you paid to hand reg or buy it.
11. OWN this means the last box to KP 'keep' or DP 'drop' or KPDS' keep and drop until sold but not renew.

Something in such manner, you can write your own way each box the key points of your domains, you can make a digital notebook but I would have a physical one in the first place.

physical registry.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is an amazing idea.
Writing exercises your mind; so 2 birds; 1 stone.

Wish more people wrote.

Bonus: Writing physical cant be hacked

Last edited:
•••
Yes, it also trains your hand, after writing 200 lines yesterday my hand hurt, today almost 100 wrote and still hurt.

Last edited:
•••
I have view in each of registrars I ever used, the payment/transaction history, here how I place them by easiness of access.

1. Porkbun, here it is in a row with each date and invoice number, press middle mouse button it opens in new tab, can't download it, just have to press CTRL + P and save as PDF, it shows payment method.
2. Cosmotown, here is also easy, it even shows domain in the row if single, can't open online, available to download in case of multiple domains is needed to view, payment method is available.
3. Epik, here is also easy to view, it even show payment method in a row, can view online and download if needed.
4. Dynadot, here i not like something, you have to select specific dates from > to, which is slow to do, then you press search and it will show each transaction you made, then you can press middle button on mouse and you can open each invoice online and print to save as pdf.
5. z com, was surprised that at z com, you can view it online and download, everything is in a row which is good, the only thing i not like is that you can't press middle mouse button so it opens in a new tab each one, it just does not work like that, you must press one, it opens then press Back in browser button to view them all again.
6. Sav, at Sav is the worst invoice experience, they are shown as numbers and you must download it, no payment method is mentioned, which is bad, you can't view it online.

edit: forgot that at Namecheap was also easy and at Godaddy if remember proper.

As we can see each registrar has it's good and bad points, now I will tell your lazy (grabbers) designers how it must be for easiness of access and customer satisfaction.
There should be a couple of buttons in the invoice payment history, Registered, Renewed, Transferred, Refunded, after each button pressed it should display in a row with columns each category we referred and display as such, Domain, Reg Date, Price, Payment Gateway, Download, View Online preferably open in new window.

Last edited:
•••
well done...and the picture you shared here make me feel nice...you use that notebook in a smart way...😃

•••
There is something called Excel Spreadsheet.

•••
Thought about that new fangled concept that I usually track bills with. Right now, I like the effects pencils have. Something about handwritten. Taking a pause to grind a few turns in the Staedtler sharpener. It's my hand squeezeball. Lets me work things out.

•••
Yes I know most files, but the idea is to have the domains on paper, with many checks and verifications, and if I find that I had some domains taken, have at you registrars, because I feel they deleted even the invoices and my emails of some domains I bought and can't be found. Of course this will be revealed only after I will finish, I m also going to verify the payment processor side, to see if each domain registered has the payment in place, I think this will be the side where payment can't be manipulated.

If you people remember SAV had such glitch or maybe it was not a glitch, you move domains to Sav, they show in WHOIS that they are at Sav side but the domains are not in your account, this is the time when I feel those domains were grabbed, I had such issue once with one domain at Z com, it was an important word + biotics. com domain, I feel they have try to get it from me by this method, the issue was solved only after I contacted ICANN support.

That is why when everything is on paper with all facts checked, it will be hard to fool me again!

Last edited:
•••
At some point it's an interesting idea. Indeed, nowadays it's harder to someone destroy physical records, unless they break into your place.

•••
At some point it's an interesting idea. Indeed, nowadays it's harder to someone destroy physical records, unless they break into your place.

But what if they do and they stumble upon your ledger containing all your domain info?

I'd recommend a dog to safeguard the book.

•••
For security I will buy a gun and a safe, install then surveillance cameras, possible hire security staff.
I will need this because the domains I own are more important than dictionary words and everything that is already established will be old and non important, I already imagine how Musk, Zuckerberg, Gates, and other big CEO's will be dethroned, all their businesses are build on fake brands and false knowledge, those who worship them will begin to hate them in an instance, their downgrade will be immediate. :xf.cool:

•••
I have buy recently an physical registry notebook, it is named For in and Out Notebook, i bought from Chinese on Aliexpress, because it is the only one I found with so many boxes. Based on 40 pages and each page has 24 lines, you can write up to almost 2000 domains in it.
So I decided to keep a physical registry, due to not trust in the digital one.
And I recommend to everyone, most for beginners to keep such a notebook, because it is easier to write in the beginning than later, of course you can hide it in a safe so no one will peek into it to see your domains.
Here is how I write mine.

1. Quantity number of domains.
2. domain name.
3. Reg Data.
4. SC (screenshot) if you took a screenshot when it was available to hand reg or after your reg/drop catch it, good for security reasons. I did not write yet mine but will do that later after will finish with all domains.
5. ER (email receipt) when you get from the registrar the email with domain registration info.
6. RG (registrar) PB mean Porkbun in my case.
7. IN (invoice) the invoice of your registered domain on registrar side.
8. PM (payment method) PP 'Paypal' CC 'credit card' etc.
9. # number from 1 to 10 how good is the domain name, in your perspective, from the accumulated experience, a deciding factor when considering to keep it or drop, sell, liquidate.
10. Price, how much you paid to hand reg or buy it.
11. OWN this means the last box to KP 'keep' or DP 'drop' or KPDS' keep and drop until sold but not renew.

Something in such manner, you can write your own way each box the key points of your domains, you can make a digital notebook but I would have a physical one in the first place.

Show attachment 252603
Great idea but you should consider printing excel spreadsheet with all the details. I think it will save a lot of your time.

•••
Great idea but you should consider printing excel spreadsheet with all the details. I think it will save a lot of your time.
Yes have think of same, but when you write them each one by one by hand, it puts you to think about domains you reg, because long domains are longer to write and it makes you go through each one again, you then think to yourself 'do I or someone else will really need such domain' let's not forget I not have my own printer, this means going to a 3rd party and let them see my domains, another reason to not do this.

•••
But what if they do and they stumble upon your ledger containing all your domain info?

I'd recommend a dog to safeguard the book.
Good point! Also, hiring a bodyguard can be a good idea! :)

•••
You might as well keep it in an Excel spreadsheet that you can edit and if you need a printout, just print one. B-)

•••
You might as well keep it in an Excel spreadsheet that you can edit and if you need a printout, just print one. B-)

plus you can sort, search, add renewals, do portfolio summary and so much more

tbh I'm too lazy busy to do this. I made a spreadsheet but I don't keep it updated. Physical notepad would probably end up the same.

Last edited:
•••
For security I will buy a gun and a safe, install then surveillance cameras, possible hire security staff.
I will need this because the domains I own are more important than dictionary words and everything that is already established will be old and non important, I already imagine how Musk, Zuckerberg, Gates, and other big CEO's will be dethroned, all their businesses are build on fake brands and false knowledge, those who worship them will begin to hate them in an instance, their downgrade will be immediate. :xf.cool:
Surveillance cameras might not work coz someone can break into the system and erase all records. Actually, this happened a lot at my previous residence building. Someone just "erased" all the records when something happened.

•••
Have finished the Registry, but it was not enough lines in it, I was able to write 1835 of domains, will need a second one, I made some mistakes including writing 2 domains per lines, which is not desirable, I even wrote the refunded domains which I registered by mistake, but also the dropped domains have added for info.
Had to do pauses between days, now my thumb is resting, this what means to live in the digital era and not train the writing skills.

•••
How do you check for mistakes in your data entry? Handwritten data entry has up to 4% error rate. More if sloppy. Unless you have a tight error checking system you are going to drive yourself crazy thinking someone took your name when really you just wrote it down wrong. Now your workload is doubled.

From experience

•••
Handwritten is cool though. Imagine in 100 years how rare an antique handwritten registry will be. Your great grandchildren could sell it on ebay. Or put it in a museum.

•••
You don't trust digital spreadsheets...

But your entire domain port is digital lol

•••

Yup definitely makes more sense than just using a Google Sheet.

•••
How many of those notebooks do I need for 34000+ domains? :)

•••
How many of those notebooks do I need for 34000+ domains? :)
This is more for beginners or small portfolios, but if you have the time you can do it, with around (1x = 1850) domains, then you will need some starting with about 20 of such registries.
I still need a second one but I m going to buy something locally and only draw vertical lines.
P.s. I also bought a Journal with pin code lock to write passwords in it, I begin to not trust anything that has digital control over our online logins, this means that Browsers are collecting passwords when you save them.

Last edited:
•••
I begin to not trust anything that has digital control
I mean you are definitely my kinda guy ... gal... er, person. I would like to hear more about this. What do you know that makes you so distrustful.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back