Domain Empire

I am done with Moniker

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Posted here: https://medium.com/@franceschine/i-...n-run-completely-into-the-ground-17a0da6f74b2

Will just copy/paste:

I am done with Moniker

1*B3GcSOXO62Bp-NZdOpQ7nQ.jpeg

The image above is no exaggeration. That is exactly my experience whenever I have to interact with Moniker in any way. Yes, have to — I only do it now when I am forced. Why would I voluntarily submit myself to an experience I know is going to induce pain?

I initially tried Moniker because of the great reputation they had in the domaining community. Within a few months, I had an urgent issue with a domain and did not get an immediate response from support. With a very short amount of Googling I was able to locate an email address for the founder, Monte Cahn. I sent him an email asking for help. He responded moments later from his Blackberry and attached several others at Moniker. Those people then solved my problem just minutes later.

That’s the type of thing that earns you a customer for life. And I thought that is what Moniker had done. I moved most of my domains to them and there they sat for years.

Then, Moniker was sold. And the new owners have run it into the ground.

Today, I again needed to locate the email addresses of some higher ups at Moniker. So I could share this post with them. All I could find were marketing, sales and support email addresses (they hide the support email address as well as they can — I found it Moniker, try harder). I was not able to locate an email address for one actual human being.

That aside, their new website is beyond awful. By far the most complicated to use and frustrating interface in the domaining industry. It’s also hideously ugly. The old site wasn’t great either, it needed a refresh. But they went from a C+ grade to an F grade instantly.

As a developer and entrepreneur I understand how resistant users are to change and how new products have to be iterated over time. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt, I stuck with them. I haven’t noticed a single update from the very first one they released over a year ago. The (many) problems it had then are all still there today.

I can’t even login to the site without jumping through a ridiculous set of hoops each time. I need to have an authentication code sent to me and half the time that doesn’t work and I have to reset my password, then get a new authentication code. Just to login!

I could go on. It’s just beating a dead horse. Moniker is toast. I’m done with them. I moved all of my domains away. The last one can’t be transfered. It’s worth keeping but is not worth dealing with Moniker to keep. I received an email to renew it by the end of July. I changed the settings to ‘delete after grace period.’ Once it expires, it will drop. You can have it Moniker. Just as long as I never have to interact with your company again.

Please delete my account: Customer-ID. 94604610

In typical Moniker fashion, when I send them this request, I can already predict what the response will be. It’s either not possible or I’ll have to jump through some set of hoops to do it. They won’t just do it. Not a chance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm done with them too. I transferred out my very last domain there last week. Just a shell account at their shell of a former company.

•••
Have never used them. Their pricing isn't even attractive and if support is no good, I guess I've no reason to begin.

•••
My story with them is similar to yours. I finally got fed up and transferred all my names out a few months ago.

•••
Update: Moniker COO John McLaughlin emailed me (from [email protected], the main Moniker support account) and said my account will be automatically closed when my last domain expires ‘per the instructions in your blog post.’ I’m glad that he evidently read this and also that they closed my account without putting me through yet more pain. Too little too late to save me but that is at least something positive from the company, the first I’ve seen in a very long time.

•••
I remember when Moniker was the "go to" registrar, of sorts. Almost like you weren't a real "domainer" if your (or at least part of) portfolio was not registered with them. Or maybe that's just my own experience. Truthfully, I have not used Moniker in quite some time.

I hate to hear you had such an experience with them. Just out of curiosity, where are you moving your domains to (if I may ask)?

•••
where are you moving your domains to (if I may ask)?

I didn't mention that because I didn't want anybody to think this was an advertisement. It was 100% about Moniker.

But to answer your question, I moved most of them from Moniker to Fabulous. That has been my main registrar for awhile. However I finally tried out Uniregistry and have been really impressed. So I'm in the process of migrating from Fabulous to there.

Nothing particularly wrong with Fabulous. They are a fine registrar. I'm just really impressed with Uniregistry. Great website/interface and they beat Fabulous on price (have to contact them for this).

•••
I updated my post quoting your posts, I hope that's ok.

I don't know if this will rank in Google but I do know higher ups at Moniker are aware of it, if nothing else at least they will see your feedback.

•••
I have left moniver like.. Maybe 1 year ago.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back