Dynadot

advice I just failed a negotiation : I thought he was bluffing... but he wasn't (T@stySh@res in king)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jv1999

Hopeless Fighter: Desolate Knight of Exo TowersTop Member
Impact
New offer (via Dan)

$100

DJ

Mar 23, 16:06

JV

Counter offer

$799

You

Mar 23, 19:44

JV

Hello X! Thank you for your interest! I can discount this social media food domain a bit for you.

You

Mar 23, 19:45

DJ

Thank you. But we bought a domain name already.

Mar 23, 23:40

JV

Best of luck to you. It's too bad. Many viral brands use "Taste" in their name... like Tastemade

You

Mar 23, 23:46

DJ

Bad ?

Mar 23, 23:48

JV

It's an expression in English to say that it's unfortunate we couldn't do business and that you may have missed out on a better brand.

You

Mar 23, 23:53

DJ

Yes. You’re right. We bought a domain that starts “Taste”. Your domain is “tasty” and also plural.

Mar 23, 23:53

DJ

Ah thank you. We understand and we bought a good domain only that will be highly brandable.

Mar 23, 23:54

DJ

Your name is nice too. We can offer $150 and can buy as an additional name.

Mar 23, 23:55

JV

Oh, good. I'm glad you have found a domain with "taste" and singular. The truth is, "shares" makes sense in this context because "share" is incorrect grammar. Although, for branding purposes, it can still work. But "TastyShare" doesn't quite resonate with native speakers as much as "TastyShares." Tasty Shares means lots of people are sharing tasty recipes or there are an abundant amount of recipes being shared... hence "Shares."

You

Mar 23, 23:57

JV

$150 is a bit low. TastyDetails.com sold for $271. That's worse than my domain.

You

00:01

DJ

I can understand. But we already bought a domain. We are buying this additional. 150 is my max. Good luck

00:03

JV

Well, the most I can go down to is $499. That's my final offer.

Having two brands is good because it can potentially drive more audience to your content. That way, you're not rivaling someone else.

You

00:04

DJ

1. This is totally a diff domain than what we bought now.
2. We are a branding team and understand branding and brand names well.
3. $150 is what I can throw max.
Cancel this negotiation if you can’t accept.
Thank you for your time and effort.
Good luck!

00:07

DJ

And for your no big brands use the “shares” but only “share”
Skillshare
Slideshare
Jumpshare
Toffeeshare
Etc

00:10

JV

If you understand branding well, you wouldn't be undervaluing this brand at $150.

I will cancel the negotiation. Happy spring season to you and your company.

You

00:11

DJ

Thank you. Wish you too!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wish I could've logged into NB to see more results but I forgot my pw and the forgot your pw function wasn't working on there :(

•••
If I may suggest :

1 - Too much talking , you don’t need to convince him to buy your domain.
He came to you first !
2 - If someone makes you an offer and then states that he already bought a different domain , it’s it.
He is just playing around , trying to lower the price.
Set your minimum price , make a counteroffer and stop. No more talking.

Wish you good luck , it was only a low ball offer

•••
Set your landers to Afternic and let the professionals negotiate. Currently you seem to be shooting yourself in the foot.

Last edited:
•••
Set your landers to Afternic and let the professionals negotiate. Currently you seem to be shooting yourself in the foot.
just wondering, where in the negotiation did i shoot myself in the foot? the bin is at 999, i countered 799 initially from his 100.

•••
just wondering, where in the negotiation did i shoot myself in the foot? the bin is at 999, i countered 799 initially from his 100.
Arguing with the buyer is never a good idea, and to claim that "shares" is better than "share" is flat-out wrong.

Also, you cut the price in half, from $999 to $499. That projects weakness and desperation.

But who am I to tell you how to negotiate? I realized I wasn't any good at negotiating, so I changed landers to Afternic and my sales tripled. Yes, tripled.

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
The problem starts with the make offer option. I am getting rid of it from all my domains. HugeDomains, would have a make offer option if it was good.

A lot of people think that if they entered a make offer that the system accepted (especially if they first tried 50 dollars and then 100) that your price is 100 or maybe 150. Sellers on ebay learned this years ago. People see a brand new iphone15 with a make offer of a minimum of 50 and they think the seller is desperate and they will get it for 50 or 100. They start building a fantasy just to have that fantasy ruined really quick when the seller replies.

When you have domain for sale at XXXX or XXX, you certainly don't want the make offer option. List the price and offer a payment plan and that is it.

I would not be surprised if this buyer does come back to you at a later date, unless his idea was a brain fart and he is now on to the next idea.

•••
The problem starts with the make offer option. I am getting rid of it from all my domains. HugeDomains, would have a make offer option if it was good.

A lot of people think that if they entered a make offer that the system accepted (especially if they first tried 50 dollars and then 100) that your price is 100 or maybe 150. Sellers on ebay learned this years ago. People see a brand new iphone15 with a make offer of a minimum of 50 and they think the seller is desperate and they will get it for 50 or 100. They start building a fantasy just to have that fantasy ruined really quick when the seller replies.

When you have domain for sale at XXXX or XXX, you certainly don't want the make offer option. List the price and offer a payment plan and that is it.

I would not be surprised if this buyer does come back to you at a later date, unless his idea was a brain fart and he is now on to the next idea.
Interesting I did same yesterday to all of my Dan domains, this idea came into my head a couple of days ago, the idea is if the domain has a BIN it is renewed until 2026 and has Make Offer it's just stupid, the buyer will think "this guy has make offer, let me throw him a 100$ offer" this is what happened with 2 of my domains.
Even considering that you are going to renew further such good domains, make offer is a no go in such cases.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think you failed at this negotiations, except for the fact that you talked too much and tried to convince him that your domain is worth it, which never a good idea ))
Other than that - it's one of two: you either didn't have a chance from the beginning or the guy will be back later on with a better offer.

Last edited:
•••
Set your landers to Afternic and let the professionals negotiate.
Can you please explain a little bit more how this goes? how can I have Afternic to negotiate for my domains?

•••
Too much talking , you don’t need to convince him to buy your domain.
He came to you first !

you talked too much and tried to convince him
Hi

i concur.
you talked too much.

anytime you try to con-vince a potential, it puts them on defense.

on their own, they were willing to buy at $150.
which is more than i would pay for it.
so, prolly should have sold it and moved on, because you might not ever get a higher offer.

imo...

•••
Indeed. Make offer, if you want it, for over 5K or 10K names.

The problem with the NS3 Lander is buyers looking to spend 20 bucks for a name, hence all those stalled negotiations. But even setting the minimum offer at 20 bucks is waste of time as well.
If a name is good, you should know it without validation from low ballers.

Last edited:
•••
Can you please explain a little bit more how this goes? how can I have Afternic to negotiate for my domains?
1. Open an account at Afternic.com

2. Add your names and set a buy now price and floor price for each

3. Point the DNS to afternic

Automatically if people have questions etc they will see afternics info on your names and the brokers there will deal with the potential buyers.

•••
1. Open an account at Afternic.com

2. Add your names and set a buy now price and floor price for each

3. Point the DNS to afternic

Automatically if people have questions etc they will see afternics info on your names and the brokers there will deal with the potential buyers.
Thanks

•••
Hi

i concur.
you talked too much.

anytime you try to con-vince a potential, it puts them on defense.

on their own, they were willing to buy at $150.
which is more than i would pay for it.
so, prolly should have sold it and moved on, because you might not ever get a higher offer.

imo...
You think it's that bad? I don't htink Tasty + share makes any sense. It sounds incorrect.

Tasty + Shares sounds like exactly what it does: "Shares" from social media.

•••
I don't think you failed at this negotiations, except for the fact that you talked too much and tried to convince him that your domain is worth it, which never a good idea ))
Other than that - it's one of two: you either didn't have a chance from the beginning or the guy will be back later on with a better offer.
If you can't talk too much, then how do the pro domainers spend weeks following up with buyers and having a back and forth? What exactly are they talking about? Tea?

•••

Thank you...

I heard about the Make offer vs BIN and you should only have one. Because having both makes you look weak.

But then other people said that having both gives you the chance to get an open convo or twice the amount of attention.

•••
It is an interesting learning experience to share this. Thanks @Jv1999

I tend to agree with those who said that too much was said back and forth.

It is interesting that although they had apparently bought another name, they were still willing to make the $150 max offer, but it was firm.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and best wishes.

Bob

•••
It is an interesting learning experience to share this. Thanks @Jv1999

I tend to agree with those who said that too much was said back and forth.

It is interesting that although they had apparently bought another name, they were still willing to make the $150 max offer, but it was firm.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and best wishes.

Bob
WHAT DO PEOPEL USUALLY SAY BACK AND FORTH ?
i read posts about pros negotiating for months

•••
WHAT DO PEOPEL USUALLY SAY BACK AND FORTH ?
i read posts about pros negotiating for months
Those are usually higher end domains and sometimes more is involved.

•••
I would not sweat it.
You were dealing with an investor. Perhaps that is your target ?

If I were in his shoes, I might try again so be prepared for your response.
He might try from some other account name if you can even see that.. He has you skiddish now.

I am not commenting on the name except to say it is not the subject of my study, so I may know less than you about the segment. Lessons leaned is experience gained. Every offer is a gained experience.

If the name has value, there will be others.

I personally have it set in my mind as to the price points with any given name.
I never let one offer change my mind. But I have not been hungry for some time.
We all do what we have to do.

Anyone who has to convince you that your name has less value likely just can't flip it in profit for what you are asking.
They do not 'NEED' it.

•••
As soon as you counter offered and they said they bought another name you should have dropped it.
I doubt, they were serious. If they were they would have countered 150. before your multiple exchanges. Dont sweat it. Any time someone offers just 100 bucks then doesn't follow up with another offer they're just tire kickers or looking to snag to flip. By the way, they're not in marketing/branding...100 dollar marketing budget, lol

•••
Just remember that all buyers already have their budget in mind when they enter the negotiation. The goal is not to convince the buyer to spend more than his/her budget. The goal (at least initially) is to find out if the buyer has the authority to increase the "budget" during negotiations. There are many "traders," and they are not "buyers." They just wanted something cheap, either to turn around and flip it or to get it as a spare and never use it.

•••
If you can't talk too much, then how do the pro domainers spend weeks following up with buyers and having a back and forth? What exactly are they talking about? Tea?

I don't know what exactly you are referring to. Sure, if someone is buying a domain for a million bucks there will be more back and forth conversations on a deal, on all levels. There is much more checking, bargaining, preparations - like for any business deal, when it's getting closed.

But not in this case. When you sell a small to medium cap domain and try to convince the counterparty that the name is good, it puts you in a vulnerable position, when he feels that you want to sell more than he wants to buy. It's pure psychology. Just ignore or say ''final offer'' and forget. He'll get back if he is interested. If not - it's a tire kicker.

Also, if the price was 1000 and you feel disappointed of not selling for 150, it means you either let emotions involved too much or you priced the name incorrectly. You can easily change one of the conditions, - or both )

Last edited:
•••
I probably would have taken the $150 since it expires in 2 months. However, sometimes I counter xxx like you did. I just think it's a domain that is hard to sell. You also did massive amount of chatting with potential buyer. He could change his mind but probably not.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back