Dynadot

I Used Godaddy Appraisal Tool To Check a Domain, Godaddy Registered It.

NameSilo
Watch
I never shared this domain with anyone, never told a close friend. Nobody knew about it.

So last week, I used the Godaddy Appraisal tool to check for unregistered domain names. It was among a list of domains to be registered as I had registered a few. This week, I checked and the domain name has been registered by Godaddy.

According to CompleteDNS.com, I checked history and there has been no history of anyone registering the domain name previously, nor has it been dropped ever. This domain name was never on a pending delete list, which means the chances of someone scouting ExpiredDomains.net and stumbling on it is ZERO.

I never used Godaddy to check unregistered domains but I completely forgot this time around because I was running tens of research at a time.

I know they will deny it as usual or simply say nothing, but the records are there to show that I am not the only that has ever experienced this in the industry.

I am just putting this out there for people not to be careless, especially if you are researching a very hot niche.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe someone got the same idea you got , and registered the domain.
That’s it.
Even more possible if it is a hot niche
( AI I presume )

•••
You have used another tool (CompleteDNS) in addition to the GoDaddy appraisal tool.

•••
I never shared this domain with anyone, never told a close friend. Nobody knew about it.

So last week, I used the Godaddy Appraisal tool to check for unregistered domain names. It was among a list of domains to be registered as I had registered a few. This week, I checked and the domain name has been registered by Godaddy.

According to CompleteDNS.com, I checked history and there has been no history of anyone registering the domain name previously, nor has it been dropped ever. This domain name was never on a pending delete list, which means the chances of someone scouting ExpiredDomains.net and stumbling on it is ZERO.

I never used Godaddy to check unregistered domains but I completely forgot this time around because I was running tens of research at a time.

I know they will deny it as usual or simply say nothing, but the records are there to show that I am not the only that has ever experienced this in the industry.

I am just putting this out there for people not to be careless, especially if you are researching a very hot niche.
What’s the domain. If it’s registered, no harm in sharing. And only that one and not the others you checked? How many did you check in total

Last edited:
•••
You have used another tool (CompleteDNS) in addition to the GoDaddy appraisal tool.
I used CompleteDNS today, I used Godaddy last week.

•••
Maybe someone got the same idea you got , and registered the domain.
That’s it.
Even more possible if it is a hot niche
( AI I presume )
Nope... before the advent of AI, this has been happening.

I just told a friend privately what happened and he confirmed they did it to him as well. There are numerous cases of this happening from Domainers on here. So it can't be a coincident.

I knew someone would say another person got the idea and that is why I stated in my OP that the chances of that happening within a week is zero.

•••
Nope... before the advent of AI, this has been happening.

I just told a friend privately what happened and he confirmed they did it to him as well. There are numerous cases of this happening from Domainers on here. So it can't be a coincident.

I knew someone would say another person got the idea and that is why I stated in my OP that the chances of that happening within a week is zero.
There have been past threads but I can’t recall even one instance of one of them being verified

What was the name?

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I had a domain taken from me. It was when emojis domains were getting hot. It was a thumbs up emoji.

Here's a post about it.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/la...ca-com-domain-name-stolen.987136/post-5861904

The email that I received from GoDaddy.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/la...ca-com-domain-name-stolen.987136/post-5861909
Joe replied in that thread. Somebody else registered it a few hours before you did, not GoDaddy.

And that’s different from this thread that for some reason has no details whatsoever

Last edited:
•••
Joe replied in that thread. Somebody else registered it a few hours before you did, not GoDaddy.

And that’s different from this thread that for some reason has no details whatsoever
At the time, it was the EXACT time that I registered it.
Despite him saying it, I didn't believe his answer.
My point is, yes, GoDaddy takes domains.

Last edited:
•••
I don't buy what OP is saying. I think they are perhaps inexperienced and confused about the interworkings of domain fulfillment from verisign. If he/she/they/them were to reveal the name, we would probably see that domain has been registered for some time and godaddy errored in showing it was available (as they have in the past). There is NO REASON not to reveal the name at this point - there is no further loss.

Last edited:
•••
I don't buy what OP is saying. I think they are perhaps inexperienced and confused about the interworkings of domain fulfillment from verisign. If he/she/they/them were to reveal the name, we would probably see that domain has been registered for some time and godaddy errored in showing it was available (as they have in the past). There is NO REASON not to reveal the name at this point - there is no further loss.
Are you trying to tell me that I am blind or I didn't know that a domain name was available? Something I used WHOIS.com to check and it was available but got taken when I used Godaddy Appraisal tool. And yes, the domain name was registered 5 days ago at Godaddy. The current registrar is Godaddy.

I only used their appraisal tool to see what it would spit out in terms of worth. It is just a variation of a domain name I sold some years ago.

•••
There have been past threads but I can’t recall even one instance of one of them being verified

What was the name?
CaSpermBank.com

•••
Are you trying to tell me that I am blind or I didn't know that a domain name was available? Something I used WHOIS.com to check and it was available but got taken when I used Godaddy Appraisal tool. And yes, the domain name was registered 5 days ago at Godaddy. The current registrar is Godaddy.
GoDaddy is still the most used registrar for domains. Just because it's registered there doesn't mean that the company registered the domain.

Did you even place a back-order? Because someone else might have. I usually wait until there are a few minutes left so not to bring attention to it, and the domain you were looking for may have some value.

•••
Are you trying to tell me that I am blind or I didn't know that a domain name was available? Something I used WHOIS.com to check and it was available but got taken when I used Godaddy Appraisal tool.

So you have at least two suspects. When will people (domainers) learn to use shell whois or rdap and not privately-owned third-party tools? Then you would only have the registry to blame. And if shell is too cumbersome, you can always check availability at ICANN: https://lookup.icann.org (doesn't work for all TLDs though).

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy is still the most used registrar for domains. Just because it's registered there doesn't mean that the company registered the domain.

Did you even place a back-order? Because someone else might have. I usually wait until there are a few minutes left so not to bring attention to it, and the domain you were looking for may have some value.
Did you read what I said earlier? It was a FREEELLLLYYYYYY available domain. Never been registered, never been on pending delete, never been parked, never been dropped, does not have any past history... It is a brand-new baby.

There was no need for it be back ordered lol.

•••
So you have at least two suspects. When will people (domainers) learn to use shell whois or rdap and not privately-owned third-party tools? Then you would only have the registry to blame. And if shell is too cumbersome, you can always check availability at ICANN: https://lookup.icann.org (doesn't work for all TLDs though).
Thank you. I will use that going forward. I have been using WHOIS.com for years after learning about this sort of thing and they have never registered a domain name I searched there.

This time around I completely forgot myself because it had happened to me before when I was still a newbie.

•••
Did you read what I said earlier? It was a FREEELLLLYYYYYY available domain. Never been registered, never been on pending delete, never been parked, never been dropped, does not have any past history... It is a brand-new baby.

Fair enough. So why didn't you buy it?

•••
Fair enough. So why didn't you buy it?
I had a list of domains in my spreadsheet. I was buying them batch by batch, I already registered 15 across different niches. Wanted to register it yesterday and that was when I found it it is gone and that was the only free one I ran through Godaddy.

•••
But the domain has been registered for a full week according to the Whois. Meaning that you held out for more than six days, and it's not like 15 domains are a lot either, you can register that in 15 minutes.

•••
Millions of names are checked every day that do not get registered. When one does, people think they were robbed.

If you need more convincing, ever had an idea for a name, you go to check and you see someone registered the name within the past month? Not a trending idea, just an idea that was in your head? How could that be?

What about the time you had this great idea for a name and you check it and just that day it entered expired?

•••
Can be both in reality - frontrunning and also bad luck of someone else having the same idea, especially if a name is of popular/trending keyword.

I have a rule for myself - for handregs I choose a specific time, putting a few hours together or the whole day - to explore, compare, check and buy right away if necessary. If you see the name and really like it - don't wait.
There are also other lists that I do, called ''maybe, maybe not'' - but there I am specifically waiting for a week - if I still like them in 7 days, but fully understanding it can be taken away.

Having a strategy basically assures that you won't ask this question (was it stolen??), because you did everything that was up to you to get a name you want.

•••
It had happened to me too, more than 10 of my hand-reg domain were registered. I read some articles that if you don't register your domain on time someone may have an opportunity of registering it before you.

•••

Never Registered? Never Pending delete?...No History? None/Never? Your assumptions and inferences are wrong on many fronts. Stop shooting from the hip and prepare, research better.

1709125756843.png

Last edited:
•••
Hi

so, did godaddy (namefind) register the domain or did someone else just register it at godaddy?

it makes a big difference in reference to the title of this thread.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back