Dynadot

IPv4 Vs. IPv6 and what you should Know.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The old IPv4 ip's are running out. (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) According to calculations by IETF in 1994, All possible IPv4 addresses will be in use by the year 2008 +/- 3. IPv6 is the solution to the shortage of the many of the problems relating to IPv4.

IPv6 addresses look very weird... (xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:xxxxx) i believe is the biggest length possable, and from what i've seen it uses both letters and number. In terms of address space, IPv4 is about 4.3 x 10^9, being 32 bits. On the other hand, Ipv6 becomes the astronomical figure of 3.4 x 10^38 because its length is 128 bits. If the address space of IPv4 is compared to 1 millimeter, the address space of Ipv6 would be 80 times the diameter of the galactic system.

Apparently They've seen this problem coming since the 80's. Work picked up in the 90's. But recently alot of sites, Altavista to name a major one, and alot of programs, including irc, have recently been switching over to irc compatabilty. Maybe its coming sooner then we thought.

What does everyone else think? I'm just afraid that it'll be harder to mess around with when it comes to coding ip specific sites and programs. Also when playing games, ip's will become harder to remember. I think DNS addresses will become more popular, and IP go the way of the dinosaurs, or userwritten Binary Coding.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting..... I don't know I think I'll just wait around and adapt as I need to. And I think all the software and other technology will adapt as it needs also, maybe not as fast as we'd like, but it will eventually. :)

It won't be as easy to remember your ip address though. :beer:

•••
i use PHPBB anyway, dont like Invision.

•••
IPv4 and IPv6 are two protocols used for transmitting data over the internet. They are similar in that they both perform the same basic function but differ in how they are implemented.

The most used internet protocol, IPv4, is the fourth iteration of the Internet Protocol. The first time it was defined in 1981, it used 32-bit addresses to identify networked devices. As a result, there can be over 4.3 billion different addresses in total.

IPv6 is the successor to IPv4 and was developed to address the increasing shortage of available IPv4 addresses. It uses 128-bit addresses, which allows for a much larger number of unique addresses. The exact number of IPv6 addresses is 2^128, which is approximately 340 undecillion (340 followed by 36 zeros). It is significantly more than the number of IPv4 addresses, which makes IPv6 a much more future-proof protocol.

The size of their address spaces is one of the primary distinctions between IPv4 and IPv6. Many more devices can be supported on the internet because of IPv6's substantially bigger address space than IPv4 does. Additionally, IPv6 has superior mobile device support and enhanced security measures.

It is essential for individuals and organizations to be aware of the differences between IPv4 and IPv6 and to ensure that their devices and networks are compatible with both protocols. Many devices and networks today support IPv4 and IPv6, allowing them to communicate with a wide range of devices on the internet.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back