IT.COM

Is Adam Dicker a criminal? You decide.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
This story starts with DNF; a barren wasteland that once was a leading forum within the domain industry. While the forum itself played a huge role in propagating the myth that is Adam Dicker, the story really begins with DNF College in the summer of 2011.

Read More

Updates / Reports
These are in no particular order.

From what I understand, Adam still owes north of $33,000 to previous customers and business partners. As I receive more information, I will update this figure.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
True. Pretty much, most of it has been covered and is summarized on this post.

Let me spill the beans: My Experience with following Adam and enrolling in Domain College.

I really didn’t want to be forth coming like this, but as illustrated with Frank Schilling, your request to get reimbursed or refunded only happens when a public statement is made. I have frankly waited too long and am still waiting on a failed commitment and no connection to an industry insider in order for me to capitalize from a website I paid $1500 for and which the transaction took place 13 months ago.

When entering the Domain Industry I looked for guidance and followed Adam since he seemed like a "mild mannered guy who will do anything for anyone". He displayed wisdom in the Domain Industry. He seem like he was well respected as an industry leader. He showed vulnerability. He cries out openly on a Youtube video, about his harbored feelings about how hard it was to let go of his Dads passing. He seemingly sounded genuine and trusting. I was in for a little shocker.

First: Adam's Domain Broker Course.

Normally the course was supposed to cost 2k. It was offered on AdamDicker.com. I felt like I was going to learn how to make good domain investments by a respectable domain industry figure. Adam offered a special on DomainSherpa for 1k (50% Off) and stated to visit this link to sign up

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...main-broker-course/+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

So, wanting to learn from the Industry Expert and getting real excited on getting 12 coaching sessions by what seems to be by Adam, I signed up. Did I get even one coaching session by Adam? No. Did I get 12 coaching sessions by anyone. No. After visiting the sign up page or link, is it made clear anywhere that the coaching would be given by anyone but Adam? Not to me.

I simply got many Youtube videos, featuring Adam (which I would guess, 95% are readily available on his Youtube channel or on Youtube.com in general or other Video Sources.

In fact I believe I had watched pretty much had already watched most of them already before this course. So okay. That sucks.

Than I should get excited about learning about domaining through Adam's group coaching. Wrong. One coaching session by someone I didn't even know existed because I signed up with the 50% discount. (Didn't state that on the Sign up page on AdamDicker.com. And this was the one and only thing that had some value to me, but was it worth 1k? Sorry, it wasn't that good.)

Okay, the course was offered by Troy Rushton. However, I think transparency on his "Domain Broker Course", on his website should have been in order. The course is laid out so you take a few courses each day. By the time I was finished and found out that what I thought I signed up for, would not be delivered, the 30 Udemy refund policy had already being surpassed.

Okay. Nothing criminal here. At this time my attitude was: I am eager to learn about domaining. Lets scratch that and move on.

Second: Failed promise on Website Development

www.FanExperiencePackage.com
While having one of my domains reviewed by Adam, he open stated that I can start marking large sums of money via a lead generating business by having Adam develop a website and get me connected to someone in that industry. I forked out about 1.5k and was told that I would be connected to an industry expert for which I can sell my traffic leads to and make lots $$$$$$ of money. After more than 13 months, and bi-weekly follow ups, I have yet to be connected with a source and quite frankly speaking, feel like I have been given the constant run around.

I understand the man has bigger fish to fry, but honor your current commitments. Being a Web Developer for about 10 years, I solely had Adam develop the site to get me connected and help build me the business with a business connection that I felt was out of my reach. In addition to this, I feel the website (5-7 pages) and content that was developed was okay'ish. Worth 1.5k without the industry connection? Not to me.

Okay, just a bad investment? Things were promised. Only thing delivered was a quick 5-7 page website.

Third: ZipZinged

In addition, it is a shocker to hear that ZipZing was only $29.99 shortly before I bought it for $299 while participating on Domain College.

Lets sum it up. 2.799k in the hole. The only thing I gained was a tiny bit more experience. A stale website that has no connection in that industry. And some okay software to filter domains.

In my opinion the entire cost to benefit ratio at this point is poor. Do I think Adam is a criminal? No, I wouldn't call him that. Do I believe that I been treated unfairly, unethically, poorly and with no consideration of following through with his commitments. Yes. I very much feel so. 13 months of waiting and then for 4 months of me constantly asking for updates on my connection for FanExperiencePackage.com for so many times gets old, being told: Tomorrow over and over. It gets frustrating.

Fourth: My Commitment to work on his personal projects seemingly have No Value

Pretty much I have asked Adam for a refund several times and keeping on getting empty promises and am still waiting for closure. I have repeatedly offered a way to resolve the issue and have even gone so far as to offering another domain of NicheKeywords.com in collateral (He bought SEORankKeywords.com two weeks ago) for the cost of the failed commitment on delivering the connection with the website.

I am new Domain Investor trying to learn the ropes and to be given the short end of the stick like this after working on one of his “Inner Circle Projects” for countless hours (60-70 hours a week) for a few months and not making a notable dime due to promises and commitments that we felt were not taken as serious as anticipated, has simply being overwhelming.

To sum it up, I and a few other people in the similar situation had to battle depression (full month for me) coming to realization that a few months of my /our life(s) were wasted on a project with near zero income. On other side of the spectrum, I felt that the project(s) that we worked so hard to get off its feet, simply never received the commitment, time and resources for them to succeed in the matter that we were expecting. But that is the StartupLife for you. Some make it, some fail.

Fifth: How to Ensure that New People in the Industry are not treated the same

The main reason is that I want my request to get refunded to finally to be taken serious. I have worked endless hours for a man and didn’t make nearly no money and then to ALSO get treated in this manner on failed website project became simply too much. A Person can only take so much.

The second biggest thing about me coming clean on this, is that this cannot be swept under the rug. I do not want to see other new people entering the industry to get the same treatment as I have. To have no say and no way to stand up for themselves because of the Uber presence some of these leading Industry Experts have.

So in no sense is there any criminal activity. I just hope that the people will be compensated for non completed promises made and that any future promises / commitments will be honored. That can be done. Right, Adam?

I sincerely hope that my story is among the very few out there.

Last edited:
•••
the ones who have been in trouble by using Adam as a shortcut to success have simply learned there is no shortcut to success ( by Adam ).

So what - move on.

Learn about not spending money on scammers.
And learn how to identify Scammers.

Guess, you learned it by now.
Sad that people got ripped off but how sheltered have your lives been?
I read it all and honestly, I have experienced it all as well. We call these life lessons. There is always somebody who will take from you if you are offering. I remember giving advice to my children about scammers and the importance of not working for free.

Sweat equity is something else and no guarantee for success.
I also am reminded of the times I have employed people to do things for me and know that if they are not fully invested in what I am doing then the results will be poor.

I would like to add that I haven't been around for a while and it's nice to be back. There is always a lot to learn here from many intelligent people who are willing to give their time and experiences.

I have a couple of new businesses thanks to what I have learned in this forum.
If you are from Europe, Adam Dicker also will be at the London Domain Summit.

Entry is free, food and drinks as well.

.. you are grown-ups > put up your pants and talk to Adam in person or directly online.

And, if there are still unresolved issues > make arrangements like GROWN-UPS do. .. sign contracts, work on payment plans etc.. are we in the kindergarten? Sounds fair?

Show me 1 person who hasn't f***ed up at some point in the life? I can't.

.. I could also start few threads about few big names in our industry (and 10+ about me) how we have f***ed up at some stages of our lives.

:D :D .. and 1 well-known guy from our industry has even blocked me after I announced that there will be a livestream with Adam. .. :D :D

All the best all!!

What has happened, has happened. Life moves on. And, in this simple business world of ours, there are simple baby steps on how agreements are made over unresolved issues.

Why should people who were screwed just "move on"? As far as I know Adam has not made it right with all the people he owes money to.

The question is more to do with intent and deception, not to do with some good faith effort that failed.

His credibility in this field is shot. His past will continue to haunt him, for good reason.
Maybe Adam should be the one who "moves on"...to another field.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Shane, you have gone to extreme measures in order to shame @Adam Dicker

Is this personal? Are we missing something?

I currently find Shane really fascinating as an outsider looking in. I wouldn't have made some of the decisions that he has recently, but I'm intrigued to know what he is thinking because I sense that it is a strategic positioning of some sort rather than a self destruction.

At one point it looked like he was going to build a name for himself as a domainer, the next Adam Dicker if you like. Job at flippa, a fast growing domain marketplace, an impressive flip and Domain Sherpa interview to his name. Where from there? Regular on the big conference scene, route to become the next celebrity domainer?

Now made the strategic decision to sacrifice the Flippa job reference, rather than use it to go and get a job with Sedo or Godaddy or somewhere, now waving goodbye to any chance he has of appearing on Domain Sherpa again and picking a battle with somebody who's star may be fading but undoubtedly will still have influence and friends in the industry.

At first I thought he was being naive and simply blowing his opportunity, now I wonder whether he's positioning himself as the Julian Asssange / Edward Snowden of the domain world, and whether there is actually a place for one, next we'll get a means of secure anonymous submission and an underground lair.

The problem is it isn't easy being an anti-corporatist and an American citizen/resident at the same time. The man deserves some major credit though, he's fearless at the moment, I'd personally be afraid to upset anybody who could liquidate their most valuable domain and use the proceeds to pay for a hit within days, that may sound like something out of a hollywood movie, but if you make it your business to try and bring down peoples businesses without money and power behind you then you aren't insured against that sort of stuff....

.... in other words, its very brave to start trying to destroy people if you don't have a Rupert Murdoch and a top legal team standing behind you.

Last edited:
•••
Promising to build a niche business is extremely hard to deliver in 2015.

Old Niche building Does Not Work

Google CRUSHED niche building in 2012/2013 with their Penguin & Panda algorithms.

Right now it's extremely time consuming to build a niche business, and it's expensive.

Did you know that to rank for a keyword with decent traffic, in most cases, people are paying $180+ per month to be a part of stable black-hat link networks - just to beat the Penguin / Panda algorithms.
*(This is where PR domains go, and why they are expensive)

To rank organically is such a painful and long process, that it's almost a fools errand to even try if you aren't doing black hat along side.

Just to rank for a keyword organically you need expensive PR releases, media (good luck), and expensive backlinking. Why is backlinking expensive... well... if you want a backlink from a high authority site they want some $$$. So 10 good backlinks that you have found via research can cost you $1000 easy.

Or you need a heck of an idea that catches on through social media - but that is few and far between as well - again, good luck.

If you can't do any of this yourself, and you find that the mention of some of these phrases is confusing - add on another $7,000 to hire someone who knows what they are doing.

Either way, to promise anyone this is for a small investment is insane.

Maybe pre-2013 this would have flown, but after late 2012 Google CRUSHED niche building. Most niche building now is built on lies and affiliate sales. If you see anyone telling you that they can build you a niche site with a small investment, you better think twice before you spend a dime with them.

This was also discussed with consensus somewhere here on NP, but I wouldn't start building a niche out from scratch for any less than $10k - because most of that is going to go towards everything that it takes to really build out a functioning niche site.

Domainers & Tech Do Not Go Hand-in-hand

I think Mr.Dicker identified a niche that unfortunately he ended up damaging - well funded domain investors, that were less than tech savvy, who trusted the packaged legend of Adam Dicker.

If we took a survey here, tallying up the number of people that know php/python/MySql I can guarantee that it would be a landslide in favor of those that do not know these technologies.

There is nothing wrong with that - many of you know things that I do not; but I do know tech.

To know tech, you have to evolve constantly and know what is going on. Either Mr.Dicker did not evolve or he wanted to capitalize on the fact that most domainers don't know tech.

I would like to think that Mr.Dicker did not do this intentionally, so I am going to lean towards the lack of evolution - here is why. I remember looking at some of the DNF education material and just thinking 'WTF'? Most of the recommendations were old hat, unhelpful, and would leave out some extremely important information that anyone starting off domaining would need to know.

I had more valuable information on my free blog than on the DNF paid courses. If you have the time to read the epilogue that is NP you could get a domaining education that is unparalleled.

So in the end I think that a business model which was working for Adam must have stopped at some point, but he was hanging on - and the money was too good to turn down.

This has happened to so many people that started out with good intentions.

Is Domaining Trustworthy?

What is trust and what is fair when there are virtually no laws to govern behavior and policies?

I think that ICANN has a huge part within domaining dishonesty, and if the tree is crooked then so shall be the branches.

Sometimes business is just business - buy low, sell high at all costs but I do know one thing for sure:
If you offer someone services and cash is exchanged - you deliver.

I've given consultancies to clients about domain online portfolio management, acquisition, and sales strategies. You do the work you are paid for beyond satisfaction, and then other opportunities follow.

What you don't do is skip with someones money and the dodge them.

Last edited:
•••
For me the part of this story that hits home is the freelancers being strung along and not getting paid...

I'm extremely empathetic towards them because I had my own life ruined by a similar situation. I was working on an app for these wall street guys and every week they'd promise me money and the day would come and they'd say "oh don't worry, we'll have it by friday" and then on friday they were at the hamptons or something and told me to wait until next wednesday, etc. Huge promises... Meanwhile, I see their $5000 bottle service tabs from the club (the same as Adam bragging about this $10k .ca purchases on Sherpa while not paying his freelancer).

When you're a freelancer you're in an extremely vulnerable position with very little to fall back on. Often you're living week to week, and when someone offers you steady work and a great payday, that's such a great opportunity you have to go for it. And when those payments stop coming...you have two choices...walk away and get NOTHING or pray that the person is telling the truth and hopefully you will get paid. And to get confronted with that choice on a week to week and then month to month basis is so stressful and painful.

I booked two vacations with my girlfriend that I had to cancel because of these non-payments. We ended up breaking up shortly after that summer as our relationship ground to a halt. I just had no money and I was eating ramen noodles like a college kid.

I have no experience with Adam, but as a freelancer that has been through a similar situation before I just wanted to share where my sense of empathy for the victims in this situation comes from.

For any freelancers reading this, make sure you start writing contracts. Get deposits, etc. Protect yourself. Also, think of ways to diversify your income so you can survive these types of situations.

Last edited:
•••
As for "true numbers", who really cares, unless you plan on buying the forum and pay per member?

Well you might care if you'd paid $7000 per month for a leaderboard ad and had taken that metric into consideration.

Now, I am going to accept Adam Dicker's explanation that the membership statistics jumped by 125,000 because he approved years worth of non-confirmed accounts to add them to his mailing list.

I'd even go further and say that I can't blame him for doing so, and he isn't breaking any law in doing that, email marketing is effective and it would be difficult to resist the temptation to market to that many new people, especially when your forum is struggling and you need to try and inject a bit of life into it.

But lets look at the highlighted section a little more closely:

"DNF contains over 1,900,000 posts and over 500,000 active registered members"

That is on a page where Adam Dicker is trying to sell advertising costing up to $7000 per month.

Only we know that this is a lie. If it weren't obvious enough that DNF didn't have that many active registered members (I suspect they'd struggle to reach five figures by any objective measure if they were being honest), Adam Dicker has out right admitted on this thread that 125,000 of his members hadn't even been active enough to verify their accounts, which means that 125,000 of his 515,000 members have never been active at all, yet alone in the recent past (when ebay reports active user accounts it counts any account which has been logged in to in the past 12 months, for example).

Its another huge lie, with another bunch of obvious potential victims, advertisers!

Here's very obvious lie number 2, from the same page....

"DNF receives approximately 80 million hits a month, an average of 2.4 million hits a day"

Unfortunately he hasn't allowed his site to be 'quantified' so we have literally no way of knowing the exact figures, but anybody with half a brain cell could also tell you however that this is also a ludicrous claim. For a start, he is claiming to get about 50 times the monthly traffic of namepros (who are Quantified, so we can see how many hits they are getting).

It is claimed that DNF is getting more hits than the following massive online brands, as an example.....
  • Gizmodo.com
  • LifeHacker.com
  • TheOnion.com
  • NBC.com
He is claiming that DNF gets about as many hits per month as Gawker.com and twice as many as RollingStone.com, more than twice as much as The Onion!

Now go and look at his forum.... The place is completely dead.

Perhaps Adam Dicker would like to get the site 'quantified' for a whole calendar month to show us the true figures.

The more I see and hear about the Adam Dicker the more amazed I am that such unsophisticated deception has gone unnoticed for so long. The man is just a complete fraud.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him, because to lie so blatantly and to such extremes you must surely have to convince yourself in your mind that you are telling the truth, you need to lie to yourself - I think there may be some underlying mental problems of some sort, utter delusion being one of the more obvious signs that this is the case.

Attachments

• abcde.PNG
    abcde.PNG
    53.3 KB · Views: 35
  • addddd.PNG
    addddd.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
•••
Shane,

Since I have you here. I want to apologize. Although I don't like you "style' of bringing out all this, thank you for doing it. I am embarrassed that I didn't know all this. I didn't know about his past with Satan's Playhouse or anything other that he bought names at auction while working at Godaddy. What I know now is unbelievable and that is thanks to you. Again, my apologies and thank you.

PS I would do this privately but felt you deserved it publicly. But I did like the joking back and forth :)

•••
Revoke all titles & strip all his awards

•••
I prefer "The Real Shane."

;)

I'm sure your ego thinks you are but unfortunately you're just not. I am the original Shane. Here first, older, after this probably wiser, certainly faster and maybe even stronger. I realize you're enjoying the attention but I'm sure you'll do fine in your next line of work. :)

•••
Eh? It would have taking xenforo thousands of hours to develop their forum software, wouldn't take somebody long to install it on a domain, up a logo and change the hex codes.

That's like saying it would take thousands of hours to build the wordpress platform. It would, but it doesn't take thousands of hours to install a theme and fiddle with some theme settings.

I wouldn't be surprised if we spend more money and time scaling and enhancing XenForo than they spend developing it. Websites like NamePros can't run any old software and hardware they please; they receive too much traffic and can easily be overwhelmed by the slightest performance issue. We've had to rewrite significant portions of XenForo, and we have a large library of add-ons developed entirely in-house. There are rarely less than 10 servers running the website, and quite often more. We typically log and analyze about 3 GiB of diagnostic data per day to ensure everything is running smoothly using our proprietary monitoring system, and have several third-party monitoring systems that log and audit much more.

•••
I debated adding to these comments with my own story, I have no desire or intent to destroy Adam, but I do want to protect people in the future from what I and apparently others had to go through. While reading this post there were a few things I was surprised at, but most of it I was not shocked to hear based on my own experience working with Adam for 8 months. Looking back on everything, I should have paid much more attention to all the red flags, and I was very naïve. His actions left me quite depressed and in a bad financial position for quite a while. He forced me to chase after him for several months after avoiding me, ignoring me, promising me over and over again to pay me what I was due and then disappearing again, however I WAS finally paid in full what he owed me this past week.

Anyway my hope more than anything, is that coming forward like this will help others to not be taken advantage of and I really hope Adam will change his ways now that all this is coming to light. I would love to see him make things right for everyone that he has hurt financially and otherwise, and conduct his business in the future completely honestly and ethically. The fact that he finally paid me after I had lost all confidence that it would ever happen gives me hope that he will make things right for others as well.

I first met Adam through the DNF college fb group in October of 2014. I like many others was very impressed that someone with such success in the domain industry seemed to offer so much of his time and guidance to others, especially newbies starting out. I wanted to learn from him and to benefit from his experience so I could start flipping domains, and build out my domains into profitable sites, which were two of the main things he promoted and toted himself as the expert at.

I googled him and found countless articles and videos and interviews, and thus he seemed reputable and legit. I figured that there would be no way someone of his status in the forefront of the industry could be a sham. He was the owner of DNF, he spoke at all the major conferences, he had earned several industry awards, and everyone seemed to generally like and admire him.

When he put out a call for partners in all his various businesses, I jumped at the chance and was quite excited to be considered as I thought the opportunity to work with Adam was going to be a once in a lifetime, and from the way he talked….a goldmine.

After candidates had been narrowed down, he conducted a group call introducing ourselves to each other and Adam made huge promises about how things would be structured, the potential of all of the projects (he was talking multimillions) and generally kept everyone buzzing and excited.

One day out of the blue I was invited to come on a group call with Adam, and two others, and was told I was selected to be one of 3 Vice Presidents of this new company that adam was forming. My responsibilities would be to manage all of the chosen project managers over each of the projects he wanted to launch. I didn’t even think twice, I agreed without question and was quite happy about it. I didn’t know why he chose me, he didn’t know me personally and I didn’t have as much experience as many of the other candidates but I didn’t want to question it. I’ll admit fully looking back that I was incredibly naïve.

From that point on, I jumped in with both feet. I wanted to prove my work ethic, my passion, my worthiness to be a part of the team. I began working 60-70 hour weeks for Adam.

The idea was that he wanted to launch a few dozen businesses, as well as grow his existing businesses in just a few months and that he would pay all expenses and costs and assured us of his knowledge, and that he had made many of these were currently successful or were a grand slam success before, but just needed the manpower to staff them, run, and grow them since he didn’t have the time. He told us he would be teaching us everything we needed to learn, and all we needed to do was put in the time and be loyal.

He DID take care of expenses and costs, but the promises of wealth and success never came. Now if this had been a simple case of business ventures not working out and going south, it would be different, that happens despite people’s best efforts sometimes. It would be one thing if he were honest from the beginning and told us the truth about the projects, the financials, and the fact that he had very little knowledge of how to run these businesses, but that was not the case. He lied and led all of us to believe in nonexistent income and in non-existent expertise that would lead to success.

It was also extremely difficult working with him, as he would constantly promise that he would get things done, and then they simply wouldn’t. Either extreme delays or never at all. After awhile I took to paying for business expenses out of my own pocket for my project managers because Adam could not be relied on to get things done for them. It was quite the struggle to get reimbursed, but eventually he did pay me back.

One project in particular, he told us it already cleared 100k a month easy and that we would be making a large percentage of that. We worked out a profit share percentage for everyone in the company that we felt was fair based on the numbers Adam was giving us. But Adam was very shifty about giving us REAL numbers and real financials, he was very vague and often avoided answering questions about those things or contradicted himself. After awhile he gave us more access and responsibilities it became evident that it was barely clearing a fraction of that, and not even that sometimes.

Another project he told us profited 2-3 million per year and that we would be making a percentage of that, however months and months later it was very evident that it was also only making a tiny fraction of that.

Once I had the courage to call him out on the numbers and he was so upset that he ignored me for 2 days, and I had to grovel and apologize to get back in his good graces and I felt bad that I had questioned his integrity. However in hindsight, he never actually responded to my calling him out on those numbers on those specific businesses, probably because he knew that the numbers he claimed were completely made up.

We had daily calls because there were SO many projects he wanted to take on, it was crazy the amount we all had to try and tackle. Adam was a major bottleneck because he was completely unreliable and rarely did any of the things we needed him to in a timely manner or often never got to them at all. Simple things that only he could do like pay for things or authorize things, he constantly promise to get it done “tonight” or “by tomorrow” but then it wouldn’t happen for days, weeks, even months and all of us were left waiting….and then were often blamed for the lack of progress. This was very stressful and difficult for all involved, most of us in the company I can vouch for were working extremely long and hard hours and needed the boss to do his part, to be invested, to give us the tools we needed to do our jobs, in short to do what he said he was going to do and be reliable. Not the case.

I tried to give my opinion that launching that many businesses all at once was an exercise in insanity, and that we needed to focus on ONE or TWO and make it profitable and then move on to the next, but I was brushed aside and so I buckled down even harder to try to make things work.

Almost all of these projects (including the ones he said were already profitable but were not) have failed miserably or never made it off the ground. And this is almost a year later. One of the only projects that I know of that still functions is his web design business, but that one has the most victims.

It was months of work trying to get the business structure set up and get the hang of things before it started to become obvious to me that many things were not as Adam claimed, but (and this is where my naivety comes in) I thought that they used to be great and Adam was overwhelmed and too busy, and that he was horrible with time management and execution, so that if he would just delegate more to us than we could fix all of these problems and turn things around.

As an example, Adam’s way of bringing in sales, is to promise them the world. He will tell them he can give them an amazing site, and do all the SEO, and rank their sites, and provide lead generation, or take over the customer service aspect of it….. all just to get the sale. Always over promising and under delivering….or not delivering at all. We thought that he actually knew how to do what he promised them. He assigned me to handle his web development business after awhile because he said he thought a woman with soft mannerisms and good customer service skills would be a great asset. I quickly found out that everything in the inside was a complete mess. There was no system for orders, there was no clear process to follow, there was very poor communication with the client to know what they wanted, there were customers that had ordered months and MONTHS ago that were furious and constantly messaging and emailing wanting status updates or refunds….. it was a crazy mess. Adam didn’t seem to really care, just brushed them all off or he would say “no worries it’ll be taken care of” but then it never was.

At first I believed that it was all just because Adam was so crazy busy that he had gotten overwhelmed, and that I could swoop in and save the day and clean things up. For awhile things got a bit better, I and other employees actually got on the phone with clients and on skype and tried to clean up the backlog and mess, including clients that had been waiting for their sites for weeks and months. I tried to systematize the process, I found out exactly what they wanted and tried to communicate their needs to the designer adam had used for years. But were so many problems, one of which was this outsourced person was not able to deliver quality sites to clients in any way shape or form. And working with him was an exercise in ultimate frustration, the back and forth took days trying to help him understand small details and changes, not to mention attempting to get Adam to give us things that we needed like plugins and themes.

Adam often refused to change the processes and make positive changes that would have helped things immensely, including hiring competent design staff. And it was the blind leading the blind. After awhile of me attempting to fix and make changes that Adam did not want to make, he got tired of me and took me off the project to give to someone else. Which I will be honest, was a complete relief. I was tired of making futile efforts and getting blamed for the mess that couldn’t be fixed.

In the article, there is a portion that is about Emmet being owed 75k – that part was surprising and does make me upset if it is true because Adam told us month after month that Emmet had not paid anything at all for the work we had done for him. He told us that Emmet was going to pay a five figure amount for the work on his sites and we were supposed to get a percentage of that (it would have been quite the decent amount for me) and for months when asked he kept brushing us off telling us that he had not paid but would pay by the end of the month, and again and again and again. It appears from Shane’s post that Emmet did in fact pay and Adam was keeping that from us?? I can only assume because he wanted to keep it all for himself… why else would he lie to us about that?

Anyway, around April things were getting worse and I was beginning to really see that everything was a mess, and some serious changes needed to be made. I had still been working 60-70 hour weeks working like crazy including nights and weekends and it was having a serious impact on my family life. I thought I was doing it for the ultimate betterment of my family, because all the promises of huge financial success were still being dangled like a carrot and I still clung to the belief that all my hard work and effort to turn adam’s businesses around and make them huge successes was on the horizon. However, I had been paying for daycare for my two youngest children (I have 4 total) in order to put in the time that Adam required and it was draining my account each month…. It cost about $7k total but there was no income to back it up, other than one payment in March of $1.5k that Adam did finally pay after promising and delaying for several weeks. This was putting huge stress on me and my family, as I had believed and relied on Adam’s promises of the amounts we would be making by that time, and they weren’t coming.

So we discussed and agreed upon a monthly salary rather than a profit share agreement for all the work we were doing, and we agreed on terms and a date each month to be paid. I was very naïve not to get it in a written contract, it was just a verbal agreement…. At that point I still trusted him enough to keep his word. Especially after I explained my family situation clearly. After that I continued to work as hard as ever but the payment he promised never came, until I finally told him I would no longer be able to work without payment. He agreed and then promptly began his long stretch of ignoring all my messages and avoiding me entirely. I went through a cycle of grief in a way, at first disbelief that after all those months of loyalty and insanely hard work and what I thought of as friendship, that he could so easily cast me aside, then anger that I had been duped and strung along, then I felt a deep sense of loss and sadness that the hopes and dreams I had for this company I had worked so hard to build were –poof- gone, then embarrassment that I had allowed myself to be taken advantage of and was so naïve… and on and on.

Basically I was quite devastated for awhile, as I had put 8 months of my life into this and I thought that I was sacrificing now so that my family could have a better life. He would throw out things like “This year you will be clearing $350k EASILY” and being naïve and trusting….I believed him. I thought I could turn things around, thought I could help Adam change for the better…..but it was all doomed to failure from the start. After I stopped working for him others starting coming to me and talking to me about their stories, former partners and clients and that made me feel even worse about the whole situation. I wont speak for them, it’s their choice whether they come forward or not but I can attest that there are MANY others.

I find it interesting that Adam on this thread asks people to just “reach out” if they have a problem, when I and apparently many others tried to do just that….for weeks and months on end but were given the run around again and again. If people try to resolve things in private but are ignored, what other choice do they have? I figured something like this would happen eventually but didn’t realize it would be so soon.

Now, is Adam a criminal? I don’t know about that. I don’t think so. At least he hasn’t done anything to me personally that is criminal. I have only experienced what I have written above.

Would I ever work for him or with him again, or be a client of his? Or recommend anyone else do the same? The answer to that is a resounding NO. I hope he can learn from all this backlash, it is a harsh lesson but if he has been doing this to people for years and getting away with it, then perhaps this is the only way to make it stop and for him to change his ways. I hope everyone who is still looking for restitution can get it.
I read this twice so I could really feel what it was like being in your shoes and the sacrifices you made for your family hoping this guy would step up and do the right thing. I am so pissed off that you got fucked over. Dirtbags ALWAYS get what they deserve in the end.

•••
•••
Things do not add up here.

Questions:

Did you receive a large payment from Emmet Stephenson (Shane's article suggests it could be near $1 million)? If so how was there no money to pay employees what they were promised? Where did the money received from him go? And why did you tell the employees who had revenue share agreements with you that you did not receive anything from Emmet?

Did you renew or purchase any domains while employees were owed backpay? I'm sure this can easily be tracked down through Whois data. If so, how can you say there was a cash flow issue while you were spending on your own behalf?

If you had a cash flow issue why did you not sell a few domains to pay employees as promised? I read somewhere that you said you owned thousands of LLLL.com domains. These are going for at least a couple hundred a pop wholesale in the aftermarkets.

Do you park your tens of thousands of domains? If so, why was your parking revenue not used to pay employees?

Do any of your businesses generate five figures a month like has been claimed? If so, why was this money not used to pay your employees? Or are these claims really just lies to inflate your standing in the eyes of potential customers?

And we haven't even touched on the people who paid for sites that were not delivered and what the story is there. What happened to that money and why wasn't it used to pay your employees.

Mercy man, there's a handful of revenue streams that are factually real, I have trouble seeing how there could have been a lack of cash.

Businesses run into cash issues all the time, but just rereading my questions above I think the lack of cash excuse doesn't pay the smell test. I'd guess that you didn't have cash for them, only after taking care of your own interests, or the lack of cash is just a made up excuse altogether. And for someone who portrays themself as altruistic with regards to newcomers, well, actions speak louder then words. You trying to help people like has been claimed many times, or you trying to hook people, though I think I already know the answer to this.

•••
Doesn't appear the attorney is coming from a position of strength, the letter reads too passive and inviting arbitration - with the only veiled reference to legal remedy being the weakly positioned final statement, tossed in as lawyer speak to intimidate the less constitutional.

Asking if Adam Dicker is a "criminal" could actually be stated that he is; given the fact he was busted for illegal satellite TV boxes. Complaining on a public forum that your boss treats you like "shit" and doesn't pay you timely, or at all, doesn't make for a legal civil case. Concluding that his statements made public or privately could be construed as "threat" or indirect "extortion" is perspective based, and definitely not solid enough for meaningful civil litigation. If I buy a TV from Amazon and badmouth Amazon when they won't refund my money because the TV is broken, Amazon doesn't sue me because I am entitled to my beliefs and opinions about their service - or lack thereof.

Granted, any attorney will take a case if he is paid enough to do it. Even one as fruitless as this. But I suspect the attorney told him he had nowhere to go with it, it would cost AD a ton of money to pursue the goose chase, and offered to work as a mediator/intimidator of sorts at a far lesser expense.

If there was meat on this bone there wouldn't be a letter offering to settle the matter with conditions - it would be a service of the lawsuit filed.

•••
Paypal Dispute Over. I have been refunded.

•••
I think an opinion piece and analysis of the DNF college program would have been a valuable wake up call, both for Adam and the DNF college participants. There is obviously a disconnect between what Adam and DNF college wants to be and what DNF college actually delivers. However, I think Shane's blog entry does itself a disservice by including wide ranging allegations about employees and a veiled chat conversation about Adam's departure from Domain Sherpa. They may be accurate but they are only isolated parts of a bigger story that we have no idea about and therefore their value is questionable.

Adam admits he's made some mistakes. It appears he has made some poor business decisions and has taken advantage of his position with new domainers . That's not something I respect but it's also nothing new. That kind of a business tactic is repeated many times, daily, all over the Internet. I think Adam will correct his DNF program now and learn from the experience.

I think Shane believes he is doing the right thing but I also hope his methods for fulfilling his goals will mature over time. As others have pointed out, the use of the word 'criminal' is clearly inappropriate and will likely lead to a lawsuit that will benefit no one.

From a bigger perspective I'd like to point out that we Americans (along with the help of Internet/Media) love to build people up and then tear them down. We seem to enjoy both equally and it's not a healthy habit. Let's not repeat ourselves here. Our industry needs to solidify, rather than degrade due to in-house controversy. I hope we can clean this up quickly and move forward.

Peace!

Last edited:
•••
I woke up this morning and decided not to decide, it makes no difference in my life so why cast judgement on someone Ive never met.
Here is my final conclusion:

a) Shane knows viral marketing much better than I do or will ever.
b) Adam has maybe helped some people and maybe not helped others, but since he never screwed me over in any way I will never know the truth 100% so its not my job to decide.
c) I have my own life to worry about so it is ridiculous I wasted so much of my time yesterday reading this thread, I need to learn time management better if anyone has a course on that you could recommend that would be great ;)

•••
So Adam is doing the right thing now- creds for that... - what matters is the coming future- how will NicheWebsites be run from now on (if at all) etc etc-
Much different, lessons learnt, I will learn to say no and be 100% truthful.
This post has actually been very helpful for me to make positive changes that are needed.

•••
My vote is for this: "Adam Dicker at least he's not Bill Cosby"

•••
When there is hyperbole, it usually is almost impossible to live up to the hype.

If it was easy to make $25,000 a month everyone would be doing it, web design and lead gen are hard work.

When people use terms like shitload of money or amounts that just seem way too high, you need to take a step back. The one beauty about the Internet is you can research just about anything, you can find people in every field and get basic answers.

People want to believe they will be the outlier, every once in awhile someone becomes the outlier. It is no way to plan your career or business. Every week someone wins the lottery, millions lose the lottery.

When I read Ben's story I am sorry to hear that he put his life savings into it, I am not sure why he did ? But I get it. We get excited working with people who have already been there done that, and been successful. It makes us not ask questions or set things up properly. I have been watching Horrible Bosses 2 on HBO a comedy, but some of it plays out in what new or little guys and girls do when entering into a partnership with an established big player.

Nick, Kurt and Dale were so happy to get a deal that they did nothing right, and it plays out in this scene. Spacey asks them why they wouldn't get 35% up front ?

In doing a deal with Adam there should have been a deposit made up front by Adam to secure a space so that you are not out in the cold if the deal doesn't work out. I agree with @discobull Adam did not gain anything by stringing him along, where Adam screwed up is over promising and having unrealistic expectations of success. Sometimes being unrealistic gets people hurt.

Whenever anyone has any opportunity presented to them come to a forum like Namepros or Warrior Forum, sure everyone will not agree but I am willing to bet there will be a few posts at least that open your eyes and mind to something you didn't see. Look a business can fail with everyone saying this looks great, you always need to prepare for failure.

•••
•••
let me be clear here,
i am a doer and can follow a process, and usually improve any process to make it more efficient(i was a technology project leader at Microsoft Europe)

when i joined DNF, i read all the articles written by Adam D. about how to acquire domains and sell them using software.
I applied theses process to domains i owned, with zero results.
i always found weird the advices and valuation Adam Dicker gave on podcast review of portfolio on Domainsherpa, sometimes Adam was completelly off, and claming that junk could sell for 15k to 40k.
the automated software that he recommend to collect prospects emails and contact infos, usually stop to work real quick and are full of bugs.

Adam Dicker make good money using his forum, and his fake Guru persona. He is no guru, he is a fake who give very bad advices to novices and misguide people just to make a quick cash.

•••
Disclaimer: I have no history or business with Adam Dicker.

It's good to see people getting taken care of.

It speaks volumes that Adam Dicker's reputation (whatever it is now) has value to him, but the people he hid from and let down had none. It's even more brazen to have touted himself as a successful domainer just trying to help others make revenue, when in reality he was just helping himself to their funds, their naivete, and their trust.

Plenty of people are going to shill for him because they want to believe only the best of people succeed, or they have a history with him and know the game. What's most disgusting is that he is sitting on a fortune in domains and doesn't even need to break the little people for his bank account, or his ego's sake.

The ready made excuse others crafted earlier has already come out: I got overwhelmed in business. I call BS on that. People were knocking on the door for months and being ignored - it took Shane's blog post, this thread, and probably Frank stating publicly about it all to get Dicker to handle it.

If it's as simple as rip people off, hide behind your reputation and their silence, forfeit back a small percentage of profit when it hits the fan, be applauded for being forced to face the music and welcomed back to the fold....well.....

Shane, you're a loose cannon and your motivations elude me - but regardless, thanks for this thread and riding it out.

•••
A note (LannyB)

Webcorp was started because I had lots of domains and no time to develop them all. I figured why not involve other people and get them as project managers and give them a piece of the profit. We ended up doing lots of work and spending quite a bit of company revenue but the end result was it failed.

I took Lanelle and Rick and Marc, the 3 people managing the project directors to Vegas for Namescon. There they met people they might not have had the chance to meet and made great connections. Hopefully that helped them and will continue to help them in the future. We did the same when I took Rick and Lanelle both to Spain with me where I was speaking.

When we were in Spain, Lanelle, Rick and I spoke. They mentioned they needed some $ to continue and I offered them both $2500 a month hoping that things would pick up.

As time went on we realized that some projects were not right and some people were not right for certain projects. Like with any business we tried shifting around and reduced some people. Things never picked up and we scaled down much further.

It took me way too long to pay Lanelle, Chelsey and Simon. Yes, I kept saying I would pay them and I kept putting them off. At the time I didn’t have the $ because I spent too much on Webcorp and was too embarrassed to tell them. I always planned on paying them it just took way too long. I make no excuse for that.

Those that run businesses know sometimes you take chances and you fail. Sometimes money is great sometimes it’s not, that’s part of business. They are all paid now and I should have been more up front.

Lanelle is a good person and I have nothing negative to say.

I apologize to Lanelle for poor business decisions that I made and not dealing with her as professionally as it should have been.

Whether you are successful or not, there are always ups and downs running a business.

Last edited:
•••
Guys, please keep the religion out of here- its the last thing needed, and contributes absolutely 0 to the current problems there are.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back