IT.COM

Is Adam Dicker a criminal? You decide.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
This story starts with DNF; a barren wasteland that once was a leading forum within the domain industry. While the forum itself played a huge role in propagating the myth that is Adam Dicker, the story really begins with DNF College in the summer of 2011.

Read More

Updates / Reports
These are in no particular order.

From what I understand, Adam still owes north of $33,000 to previous customers and business partners. As I receive more information, I will update this figure.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I debated adding to these comments with my own story, I have no desire or intent to destroy Adam, but I do want to protect people in the future from what I and apparently others had to go through. While reading this post there were a few things I was surprised at, but most of it I was not shocked to hear based on my own experience working with Adam for 8 months. Looking back on everything, I should have paid much more attention to all the red flags, and I was very naïve. His actions left me quite depressed and in a bad financial position for quite a while. He forced me to chase after him for several months after avoiding me, ignoring me, promising me over and over again to pay me what I was due and then disappearing again, however I WAS finally paid in full what he owed me this past week.

Anyway my hope more than anything, is that coming forward like this will help others to not be taken advantage of and I really hope Adam will change his ways now that all this is coming to light. I would love to see him make things right for everyone that he has hurt financially and otherwise, and conduct his business in the future completely honestly and ethically. The fact that he finally paid me after I had lost all confidence that it would ever happen gives me hope that he will make things right for others as well.

I first met Adam through the DNF college fb group in October of 2014. I like many others was very impressed that someone with such success in the domain industry seemed to offer so much of his time and guidance to others, especially newbies starting out. I wanted to learn from him and to benefit from his experience so I could start flipping domains, and build out my domains into profitable sites, which were two of the main things he promoted and toted himself as the expert at.

I googled him and found countless articles and videos and interviews, and thus he seemed reputable and legit. I figured that there would be no way someone of his status in the forefront of the industry could be a sham. He was the owner of DNF, he spoke at all the major conferences, he had earned several industry awards, and everyone seemed to generally like and admire him.

When he put out a call for partners in all his various businesses, I jumped at the chance and was quite excited to be considered as I thought the opportunity to work with Adam was going to be a once in a lifetime, and from the way he talked….a goldmine.

After candidates had been narrowed down, he conducted a group call introducing ourselves to each other and Adam made huge promises about how things would be structured, the potential of all of the projects (he was talking multimillions) and generally kept everyone buzzing and excited.

One day out of the blue I was invited to come on a group call with Adam, and two others, and was told I was selected to be one of 3 Vice Presidents of this new company that adam was forming. My responsibilities would be to manage all of the chosen project managers over each of the projects he wanted to launch. I didn’t even think twice, I agreed without question and was quite happy about it. I didn’t know why he chose me, he didn’t know me personally and I didn’t have as much experience as many of the other candidates but I didn’t want to question it. I’ll admit fully looking back that I was incredibly naïve.

From that point on, I jumped in with both feet. I wanted to prove my work ethic, my passion, my worthiness to be a part of the team. I began working 60-70 hour weeks for Adam.

The idea was that he wanted to launch a few dozen businesses, as well as grow his existing businesses in just a few months and that he would pay all expenses and costs and assured us of his knowledge, and that he had made many of these were currently successful or were a grand slam success before, but just needed the manpower to staff them, run, and grow them since he didn’t have the time. He told us he would be teaching us everything we needed to learn, and all we needed to do was put in the time and be loyal.

He DID take care of expenses and costs, but the promises of wealth and success never came. Now if this had been a simple case of business ventures not working out and going south, it would be different, that happens despite people’s best efforts sometimes. It would be one thing if he were honest from the beginning and told us the truth about the projects, the financials, and the fact that he had very little knowledge of how to run these businesses, but that was not the case. He lied and led all of us to believe in nonexistent income and in non-existent expertise that would lead to success.

It was also extremely difficult working with him, as he would constantly promise that he would get things done, and then they simply wouldn’t. Either extreme delays or never at all. After awhile I took to paying for business expenses out of my own pocket for my project managers because Adam could not be relied on to get things done for them. It was quite the struggle to get reimbursed, but eventually he did pay me back.

One project in particular, he told us it already cleared 100k a month easy and that we would be making a large percentage of that. We worked out a profit share percentage for everyone in the company that we felt was fair based on the numbers Adam was giving us. But Adam was very shifty about giving us REAL numbers and real financials, he was very vague and often avoided answering questions about those things or contradicted himself. After awhile he gave us more access and responsibilities it became evident that it was barely clearing a fraction of that, and not even that sometimes.

Another project he told us profited 2-3 million per year and that we would be making a percentage of that, however months and months later it was very evident that it was also only making a tiny fraction of that.

Once I had the courage to call him out on the numbers and he was so upset that he ignored me for 2 days, and I had to grovel and apologize to get back in his good graces and I felt bad that I had questioned his integrity. However in hindsight, he never actually responded to my calling him out on those numbers on those specific businesses, probably because he knew that the numbers he claimed were completely made up.

We had daily calls because there were SO many projects he wanted to take on, it was crazy the amount we all had to try and tackle. Adam was a major bottleneck because he was completely unreliable and rarely did any of the things we needed him to in a timely manner or often never got to them at all. Simple things that only he could do like pay for things or authorize things, he constantly promise to get it done “tonight” or “by tomorrow” but then it wouldn’t happen for days, weeks, even months and all of us were left waiting….and then were often blamed for the lack of progress. This was very stressful and difficult for all involved, most of us in the company I can vouch for were working extremely long and hard hours and needed the boss to do his part, to be invested, to give us the tools we needed to do our jobs, in short to do what he said he was going to do and be reliable. Not the case.

I tried to give my opinion that launching that many businesses all at once was an exercise in insanity, and that we needed to focus on ONE or TWO and make it profitable and then move on to the next, but I was brushed aside and so I buckled down even harder to try to make things work.

Almost all of these projects (including the ones he said were already profitable but were not) have failed miserably or never made it off the ground. And this is almost a year later. One of the only projects that I know of that still functions is his web design business, but that one has the most victims.

It was months of work trying to get the business structure set up and get the hang of things before it started to become obvious to me that many things were not as Adam claimed, but (and this is where my naivety comes in) I thought that they used to be great and Adam was overwhelmed and too busy, and that he was horrible with time management and execution, so that if he would just delegate more to us than we could fix all of these problems and turn things around.

As an example, Adam’s way of bringing in sales, is to promise them the world. He will tell them he can give them an amazing site, and do all the SEO, and rank their sites, and provide lead generation, or take over the customer service aspect of it….. all just to get the sale. Always over promising and under delivering….or not delivering at all. We thought that he actually knew how to do what he promised them. He assigned me to handle his web development business after awhile because he said he thought a woman with soft mannerisms and good customer service skills would be a great asset. I quickly found out that everything in the inside was a complete mess. There was no system for orders, there was no clear process to follow, there was very poor communication with the client to know what they wanted, there were customers that had ordered months and MONTHS ago that were furious and constantly messaging and emailing wanting status updates or refunds….. it was a crazy mess. Adam didn’t seem to really care, just brushed them all off or he would say “no worries it’ll be taken care of” but then it never was.

At first I believed that it was all just because Adam was so crazy busy that he had gotten overwhelmed, and that I could swoop in and save the day and clean things up. For awhile things got a bit better, I and other employees actually got on the phone with clients and on skype and tried to clean up the backlog and mess, including clients that had been waiting for their sites for weeks and months. I tried to systematize the process, I found out exactly what they wanted and tried to communicate their needs to the designer adam had used for years. But were so many problems, one of which was this outsourced person was not able to deliver quality sites to clients in any way shape or form. And working with him was an exercise in ultimate frustration, the back and forth took days trying to help him understand small details and changes, not to mention attempting to get Adam to give us things that we needed like plugins and themes.

Adam often refused to change the processes and make positive changes that would have helped things immensely, including hiring competent design staff. And it was the blind leading the blind. After awhile of me attempting to fix and make changes that Adam did not want to make, he got tired of me and took me off the project to give to someone else. Which I will be honest, was a complete relief. I was tired of making futile efforts and getting blamed for the mess that couldn’t be fixed.

In the article, there is a portion that is about Emmet being owed 75k – that part was surprising and does make me upset if it is true because Adam told us month after month that Emmet had not paid anything at all for the work we had done for him. He told us that Emmet was going to pay a five figure amount for the work on his sites and we were supposed to get a percentage of that (it would have been quite the decent amount for me) and for months when asked he kept brushing us off telling us that he had not paid but would pay by the end of the month, and again and again and again. It appears from Shane’s post that Emmet did in fact pay and Adam was keeping that from us?? I can only assume because he wanted to keep it all for himself… why else would he lie to us about that?

Anyway, around April things were getting worse and I was beginning to really see that everything was a mess, and some serious changes needed to be made. I had still been working 60-70 hour weeks working like crazy including nights and weekends and it was having a serious impact on my family life. I thought I was doing it for the ultimate betterment of my family, because all the promises of huge financial success were still being dangled like a carrot and I still clung to the belief that all my hard work and effort to turn adam’s businesses around and make them huge successes was on the horizon. However, I had been paying for daycare for my two youngest children (I have 4 total) in order to put in the time that Adam required and it was draining my account each month…. It cost about $7k total but there was no income to back it up, other than one payment in March of $1.5k that Adam did finally pay after promising and delaying for several weeks. This was putting huge stress on me and my family, as I had believed and relied on Adam’s promises of the amounts we would be making by that time, and they weren’t coming.

So we discussed and agreed upon a monthly salary rather than a profit share agreement for all the work we were doing, and we agreed on terms and a date each month to be paid. I was very naïve not to get it in a written contract, it was just a verbal agreement…. At that point I still trusted him enough to keep his word. Especially after I explained my family situation clearly. After that I continued to work as hard as ever but the payment he promised never came, until I finally told him I would no longer be able to work without payment. He agreed and then promptly began his long stretch of ignoring all my messages and avoiding me entirely. I went through a cycle of grief in a way, at first disbelief that after all those months of loyalty and insanely hard work and what I thought of as friendship, that he could so easily cast me aside, then anger that I had been duped and strung along, then I felt a deep sense of loss and sadness that the hopes and dreams I had for this company I had worked so hard to build were –poof- gone, then embarrassment that I had allowed myself to be taken advantage of and was so naïve… and on and on.

Basically I was quite devastated for awhile, as I had put 8 months of my life into this and I thought that I was sacrificing now so that my family could have a better life. He would throw out things like “This year you will be clearing $350k EASILY” and being naïve and trusting….I believed him. I thought I could turn things around, thought I could help Adam change for the better…..but it was all doomed to failure from the start. After I stopped working for him others starting coming to me and talking to me about their stories, former partners and clients and that made me feel even worse about the whole situation. I wont speak for them, it’s their choice whether they come forward or not but I can attest that there are MANY others.

I find it interesting that Adam on this thread asks people to just “reach out” if they have a problem, when I and apparently many others tried to do just that….for weeks and months on end but were given the run around again and again. If people try to resolve things in private but are ignored, what other choice do they have? I figured something like this would happen eventually but didn’t realize it would be so soon.

Now, is Adam a criminal? I don’t know about that. I don’t think so. At least he hasn’t done anything to me personally that is criminal. I have only experienced what I have written above.

Would I ever work for him or with him again, or be a client of his? Or recommend anyone else do the same? The answer to that is a resounding NO. I hope he can learn from all this backlash, it is a harsh lesson but if he has been doing this to people for years and getting away with it, then perhaps this is the only way to make it stop and for him to change his ways. I hope everyone who is still looking for restitution can get it.

•••
I felt a little inspired by Lanny sharing her story and I've been personally encouraged by someone who was closely involved, so I wanted to share my experience I had working with Adam. At first I was a little hesitant to put this all out there, but now I think it's necessary to put it out there as a warning.

My experience was a little similar to other stories I’ve read on here. Everything I’m relaying here can be verified through email messages, skype messages, or people who were on phone calls with me when talking to Adam. I’m not making anything up, and my only reason for telling anyone this is to let everyone know that Adam is NOT who he says he is. I hope he gets his stuff together someday and becomes the guy so many people already think he is, but for now, he seems to be pathological liar with no regard for other people’s wellbeing or livelihood.

SIDE NOTE: If I use quotes in this post, it’s because I’m ACTUALLY directly quoting Adam. I’m not making things up.

Essentially what it comes down to is that Adam proposed that we work together on a project that I was already working on. I was doing SEO for a few dentists, and Adam said he had a background in lead generation for local businesses and he could help expand my business. It seemed like a great way to make more money, since SEO and pay-per-lead programs are separately billed services. I hadn’t done local pay-per-lead work before on my own, but Adam assured me he knew plenty. He assured me that if I found the clients, he could “make their phone ring.” In fact, here’s what I wrote down about him in my notebook from our first meeting when I knew very little about him:

***Adam Dicker: owns thousands of domain names – worked at GoDaddy – local lead gen expert – marketed for 3,500 businesses, including 500 dentists – can make their phone ring off the hook – as many leads as they can handle***

I don’t know if any of that stuff he told me is true, but he definitely said it to me. I can’t think of any reason why he would say it to me unless to get me to want to work with him. I mean, for someone like me who’s just a small time marketer, why wouldn’t you work with someone with those credentials? I had just bought a house, my wife and I had our first baby on the way, and I was VERY excited that things seemed to be working out so well for me.

Anyway, 7 months after working with Adam who promised to “make their phones ring,” he had not delivered so much as ONE lead to any of the 27 dentists I recruited for lead gen services. I spent 100% of the money I had saved up to start this business which was about $20k, all spend on salary and commission to salespeople, marketing efforts, ppc, office lease, and eventually chargeback fees while getting these dentists signed up. I couldn’t generate leads on my own at the scale necessary and with the budget I had set aside, no matter how hard I tried to set up a profitable adwords campaign using the lead pricing that Adam had instructed me to use with the dentists I had signed up. I was stuck on my own, waiting for Adam to come through on his promises. Adam assured me every couple of weeks along the way that things were “moving along” or that he’d “have it taken care of by this weekend” or that he just “needed to hear back from someone” before we could get the ball rolling. I’d have gladly jumped ship at any time if he’d given me a legitimate, honest response telling me that he wouldn’t be able to deliver what he promised. But instead, I just kept going while receiving reassurance such as these DIRECT quotes from him:

“we’re going to make a s**t load of money”

After asking him every couple of weeks if he was still on board, he’d say “oh yeah, definitely. Let’s get this going.”

“we’ve got leads coming in, I just need to log in and check it this weekend.” (referring to his adwords and call tracking account)

About 3 months in to working with him (around November 2014,) he introduced me to one of his VPs (let’s call this person Erik to avoid real names,) one of his project directors in a new company he started called WebCorp. At this point, Adam handed all communication off to Erik, so he was the one to relay to me things like “he says he’ll take care of it by Monday” or “he says he’ll take care of it when he’s back from his trip.” His VP, Erik, was simply caught in the middle, and he did a great job of working on things from his end, but Adam just never came through on anything.

One thing as a side point: At one point along the way (around December 2014,) Adam asked me to be a project manager for him on a separate project. We were building an affiliate site together, and I was supposed to make 20% of revenue off the site. After working on if for over 40 hours, Adam scrapped the project. 20% of $0 is still $0, so I wasn’t paid for any of the work.

By February 2015, after we’d been working together about 6 months, Adam agreed to let me set up an adwords campaign in a shared account with him, and if he could pay for the ads upfront, we could split profits 50/50. A full month later (March 2015) after he had apparently checked the campaign I had put together and said everything looked good and started running the ads, we had spent $700 and got one lead. Most of this money was spent on clicks from people WAY outside of the geographic area around the area we were targeting. He had forgotten to set the correct geographic radius like I asked him to, and I didn’t have correct Admin access to do so. At this point, Adam was apparently very disappointed with the project, and scrapped everything.

So, at this point it had been 7 months that I’d been working with Adam. I’d been working with Erik for about 4 months, and Erik could back up my entire story from that point, as we were on calls with Adam at the same time. I was $20k in the hole on this project, my entire savings set aside for the project had been exhausted, and I had a list of 27 clients who were all angry with me because they were never going to get any leads.

By April 2015, after paying back the deposits that I charged each dentist when they signed up, I had to start selling off my office furniture to pay my personal bills. I sold my truck to pay my mortgage that month, and I sold my desk and chairs to pay my wife’s car payment. I maxed out my credit card to help pay for groceries and diapers and baby food. I was stuck with 100% of the bill on this project spearheaded by Adam, and I was never going to get a dime out of him.

I emailed Adam to see if there might be some other way that I could be involved in his company. I figured there was no way that he would have put me in this position on purpose, and that he would probably be able to see my side of things if I just explained it to him. After all, he’s the one who continually reassured me that things were moving along, and he never once admitted that the project had the potential to fall apart like it had.

I figured since Adam apparently had several companies clearing over $100k per month, there must be a way that someone like me could get involved and make enough money to get by. After emailing Adam, here’s the exact email response I got from him:

Ben,

i do care, let's chat about this tomorrow.

Adam

The next day we spoke on Skype, and Adam said he’d get me involved in his company and he’d find a way to “make [me] tons of money.” I was glad he said that, but I was still skeptical that it would ever pan out.

Within the next 2 months (by June 2015) Adam had offered me a commission-only sales job selling bobble head dolls, and that’s it. At that point I knew that none of the salespeople working for him had been paid either, so I had no intention of getting involved in that. He did say he’d help me sell a website I own to help me raise some capital and that he’d put me in touch with his broker, but after an initial conversation, his broker fell off the face of the earth too. So, it was clear Adam wasn’t going to help, and that he likely didn’t take any personal responsibility for how things had gone. I emailed him a couple more times, but I didn’t get a response.

Now, it’s been about 14 months since I first started working with Adam, and things are a little bit better, due in no small part to the fact that I work 60 hour weeks to try to salvage a small part of the business I once had before Adam got involved. My goals are no longer to strike it rich, but rather just to pay the bills and somehow climb out of the hole that Adam helped me dig.

I know it’s not 100% Adam’s fault that this is how things turned out. I have to take plenty of responsibility for being so trusting of someone I didn’t know very well. I honestly don’t even know how to put a dollar amount on the damage that working with Adam has caused. If I’d continued to build my existing business on my own without involving Adam, I suspect I could have built it into something great on my own, but instead I trusted someone that didn’t have any intention of fulfilling his promises. I don’t know if he does this on purpose, or if he just doesn’t know how to tell the truth any more, but I do know though that if he truly did want to help make things right, he’d do more than send a one-sentence email to me to let me know that he cares.

I am certain I’m far from the worst victim of Adam’s deception, but I still feel like he needs to own up to what he’s doing with his life. For the 9 months that we were in regular communication, I couldn’t believe that Adam would be leading me along with no intention of helping. I figured he’d be honest and let me know if there were a chance that he couldn’t fulfill every promise he made to me, but he was VERY clear that I had nothing to worry about.

So, Adam Dicker, now is your chance to respond. You know I’m not lying about any of this. Although you have a different perspective on this, I'm not lying about anything. Plenty of people know that everything I’ve said here is the truth. You’re messing with people’s lives here, and not everyone can blow a ton of money on a failed project and still come out ok. I’m set back more than 16 months financially with this little venture, and I doubt you lost any sleep over it. If you are sincerely worried about this, then please let me know. You have my email.

•••
My situation is RESOLVED. Thank you fellas for being supportive and a special thanks to Shane. The Real Shane.

•••
This will be my first and last post in here for a while, I have started to repay people back from this thread with legitimate claims. In the next 6 months, anyone that is owed money will be paid. I have the list and I am going through it. If your contact info has changed please email me the correct info to [email protected]. Hoping everyone on the site stays healthy through this Covid mess.

Why 6 months? Because that's how long it will take me to get it done properly.
Why now? because it's the right thing to do.

I made a mess and it's time to clean it up.

Last edited:
•••
There are parts that are true and parts that are simply untrue. Your source sent me an email saying that I had Until October 5th to pay a certain amount or they would release info they THOUGHT were true.

The things you posted that were not true makes you libel.

There is definitely another side to this story.

I have made mistakes no question about it and I plan on staying in front of them.

Adam Dicker

•••
EDIT: Just read your article. The info about Adam may or may not be true but publishing Michael Cyger's conversation is dead wrong unless he gave you permission.
Why anyone would do business with you at this point is beyond me. Just the fact that you are going to hang them out to dry if things go bad would be enough for me. Again, not saying the info is wrong or right but harming Michael Cyger was unnecessary.

Last edited:
•••
MasterOfMyDomains: He still never paid me, ins spite of his last promises. He finally stopped responding.
:
Helmuts: your post is ridiculous and insulting to those of us that were "taken". We tried all the "grown up" approaches. Adam holds the money, resides in a different country than most (all?) of his victims, and there is no leverage to make him respond. Further, his consistent failed promises, followed by hiding, make it obvious that he is not sincere about making things right. Now, I fully recognize that I made the mistake of trusting someone (based on a false public reputation he had created). When I was dealing with him to build my site, I asked for a contract, but he said he "didn't do contracts" -- red flag that, were it not for the credibility of his public persona, would have stopped me from proceeding. I made those bad judgements thinking that the other person was as credible and sincere and honest as I am. If he had been, or has since become so, then I would either have the site he committed to, or have my money back now. I've tried the "GROWN-UP" approach, but it doesn't work if only one of us is acting grown up.
:
What is striking to me is that most of us victims are more embarrassed that we fell for this than he is embarrassed to have taken us.
:
Of course, if he waits long enough, inflation will make his debts truly pocket change and he can pay it off and claim he's redeemed himself :)
:
If you're giving Adam a new livestream platform, giving him credibility while knowing his past, perhaps you can open another livestream to fill with an associate of Bernie Madoff to discuss new financial investments.

•••
As I said before, he's just shielding himself in case things proceed down a legal path. I don't know if you guys realize how difficult and compromised is the position he is in. Don't forget that he's been advertising NW for years and that makes him legally liable. Of course we all know that he had no idea on what was going on but still he would have to prove it in court.

I can't speak for Michael but I can speak for myself. It sucks that we record hours and hours of shows and they can't be shown. But he has an image and integrity to uphold and having Adam on there may give new readers and listeners the wrong impression. That Adam is someone you want to do business with.

Its not legal its ethics. We all know Adam has to go. The difference is Mike's show has a lot of Adam that has to go and we all suffer. There is a lot of good stuff on those shows. It's most of the reason I'm so pissed. I gave up a lot of my free time to make those shows. All in part to help my career, Mike's show, and to help others learn from my opinion. And Adam f'd that up

•••
If my husband was a pathological liar and conning a ton of people out of money in his business ventures I would like to know about that. I'm sure most wives of con-men would like to know about something this big that could lead to the police getting involved, lawsuits, bankruptcy, foreclosures, assets being taken away, etc.

His relationship with his wife and what she does or does not know is none of your business. It has already been mentioned that people have sent abusive messages to his kids, that's why you need to drop this topic and stop encouraging people to contact his family. They already know and contacting them will make nobody a hero.

Business life = open to scrutiny, he's made himself a public figure and his name into a brand.

Personal life = as described, 'personal', not your business.

It is crossing a clear boundary.

Last edited:
•••
I was not paid anything this week, nor did I have any contact with Adam, nor did he respond to my Skype inquiry. I am very disappointed, but not terribly surprised. Had it been resolved, I would have refrained from stirring the waters, but I can no longer lie to myself that this will ever be settled in a professional way.

I paid him $3,000 fourteen months ago for a site that he was confident would produce $1500 to $2000 monthly within a few months of his build completion. A completion that he said would take 3 to 4 weeks, but is still not near completion over a year later. I chased him over and over and over and, when finally getting him on Skype, he would be apologetic, usually telling me that his employees weren't performing, that he was restructuring (and bigger than the last time) and that he would *now* focus on my project. Only, of course, that literally *nothing* would be done weeks later and the cycle would repeat.

I can tell you that I was afraid to say anything ... Adam was "bigger than life" in the domaining world. I thought often of going to Michael Cyger (whose interviews I always thought were very well done and he seemed like a genuine guy) or a couple others, but was concerned that: (a) perhaps they were all in a big scam together and I'd be ignored or shunned; (b) perhaps they weren't in it, but as such good friends (as it seemed), they would never believe me and I'd be ignored or shunned; (c) word would get to Adam and that would absolutely close the door on getting the work done or my money back. Or, of course, option (d) which was that I was the problem -- after all, if he was so popular and in the limelight and winning awards for "domain development", he must be delivering for everyone else.

When he called for "partners" in his new businesses, I was already too concerned about him and didn't volunteer. Even so, he personally invited me to be a partner on one of our "what's going on" calls. I basically ignored the suggestion. However, he still put me on the list of people that were "in the circle". I participated mildly in some of the startup conversations, but avoided getting pulled in deeper. I wanted to reach out to a couple people that were "all in" to see if they knew about what seemed to be going on, but I was afraid that they were so tied to Adam as a savior that they would report my "attitude" to Adam and I'd be "out of his good graces" -- never get my site nor my money.

In spite of that, I did FB message Rick W tentatively to see how the "partnership" was working. I wanted to tell him of my experience as a client, but I was feeling him out an inch at a time. I asked if Adam had given him a contract so it was understood what he would get out of the partnership. His response was defensive -- no contract, but it was "all too early", "looked like it was going to be MUCH bigger returns than originally thought, so had to re-think the structure" (paraphrased), and "why did I even ask such a question"? I brushed that off with an explanation of just wanting to understand how the partnership worked, and ended the conversation. I didn't look like he would have believed anything I'd told him about Adam, anyway, and it appears that he has recently doubled-down on his relationship with Adam, damaging his own reputation in the process.

I was a classic sucker, thinking the king was altruistic, showing an interest (and doing a favor) for me, the lowly peasant. I excitedly told so many people about how great Adam was and how lucky I was to be one of the "small group" that Adam was mentoring. I told them that my super-site would be up in several weeks (how embarrassing when they still ask about how it's going), while telling my wife that the $3K we had managed to save towards a career change was in good hands. I have to say that she has been much better about this than she should be (I am blessed!), but I am ashamed for falling for all of Adam's fake reputation, lies, deception, broken promises, false humility and insincere niceness. I often think of the heart-string video he did telling us about how proud his father was of his natural business abilities -- that was a stroke of genius, showing a very human, vulnerable Adam -- one that I don't believe really exists.

If you want to see a $3K site (which he said would be more like a $5K site due to the discount that DN College folks and I, in particular, were receiving), check out SurvivalHandbook (dot) com.

Whenever I am so tempted again, I'll just review my Skype transcripts and audio recordings of his broken promises on our calls and I won't override my know-better policies of "get a contract", "pay only for a milestone at a time" and "seek legal counsel no later than the second failed promise that isn't made right".

--GR

•••
I have known Adam personally for over 7 years and he has always been kind, generous, and forthright in my personal dealings with him. I think it is important to hear both sides of the story.

•••
Your point of this, if relevant here?

I think its very relevant, it helps paint the picture of deception, it goes to the very crux of the matter.

Adam Dicker has painted a picture of himself being an industry giant, its precisely how he suckers in the newbies and takes their money and gains their trusts.

Only that image is increasingly looking false. From making up employees in his 'team', to inflating the membership statistics of his best known web property, to implying that he has 8 figure domain name sales to his name, to being described as a hugely successful domain name millionaire, but one who admits he could'nt afford to pay $2500 a month to his 'vice president'.

The only people who can't see the relevance haven't read the whole thread.

•••
"Since 1998 Niche Websites has helped build over 400,000 businesses for its customers. We build 2000 websites per month….."

That's probably true. It turns out you can build websites a lot faster if you skip the building part of the process. :)

•••
If it hasn't been done, I personally think it would have been fair to first ask Adam Dicker about his view/feedback on these matters, before going public with these allegations. There is also a difference between criminal behaviour (which is suggested in the title) and not meeting your obligations or not being trustworthy, which could have been caused by all kinds of (personal) reasons that we are not aware of.

I'm not here to defend anyone, but I've learned in the past that it's always dangerous to jump to conclusions too quickly when we actually don't know the full story (or only one side of the story).

•••
Read More

P.S. The website may be down due to high levels of traffic. If so, please post here and check back frequently.

Not sure what's the point here of mentioning this "story". Not even a single reliable source was mentioned to break facts.

Like:
- who's the "anonymous source" of this article?
- is he/she reliable enough to be trusted?
- on what facts/complains/rippoff proof or whatever did the blogger has picked such a ridiculous title and sort of insulted a senior domainer?

Although I do agree with one part in the post, that Adam normally over promise but fail to deliver the same. But he is still respectable to many and he continues to deliver valuable information to many new comers in the industry whenever he has time.

Shane, nice to see that it's your blog, but starting a blog with a post full of conspiracy and with no facts provided! You could've done better than that amigo.

Just my thoughts.

•••
I felt a little inspired by Lanny sharing her story and I've been personally encouraged by someone who was closely involved, so I wanted to share my experience I had working with Adam. At first I was a little hesitant to put this all out there, but now I think it's necessary to put it out there as a warning.

My experience was a little similar to other stories I’ve read on here. Everything I’m relaying here can be verified through email messages, skype messages, or people who were on phone calls with me when talking to Adam. I’m not making anything up, and my only reason for telling anyone this is to let everyone know that Adam is NOT who he says he is. I hope he gets his stuff together someday and becomes the guy so many people already think he is, but for now, he seems to be pathological liar with no regard for other people’s wellbeing or livelihood.

SIDE NOTE: If I use quotes in this post, it’s because I’m ACTUALLY directly quoting Adam. I’m not making things up.

Essentially what it comes down to is that Adam proposed that we work together on a project that I was already working on. I was doing SEO for a few dentists, and Adam said he had a background in lead generation for local businesses and he could help expand my business. It seemed like a great way to make more money, since SEO and pay-per-lead programs are separately billed services. I hadn’t done local pay-per-lead work before on my own, but Adam assured me he knew plenty. He assured me that if I found the clients, he could “make their phone ring.” In fact, here’s what I wrote down about him in my notebook from our first meeting when I knew very little about him:

***Adam Dicker: owns thousands of domain names – worked at GoDaddy – local lead gen expert – marketed for 3,500 businesses, including 500 dentists – can make their phone ring off the hook – as many leads as they can handle***

I don’t know if any of that stuff he told me is true, but he definitely said it to me. I can’t think of any reason why he would say it to me unless to get me to want to work with him. I mean, for someone like me who’s just a small time marketer, why wouldn’t you work with someone with those credentials? I had just bought a house, my wife and I had our first baby on the way, and I was VERY excited that things seemed to be working out so well for me.

Anyway, 7 months after working with Adam who promised to “make their phones ring,” he had not delivered so much as ONE lead to any of the 27 dentists I recruited for lead gen services. I spent 100% of the money I had saved up to start this business which was about $20k, all spend on salary and commission to salespeople, marketing efforts, ppc, office lease, and eventually chargeback fees while getting these dentists signed up. I couldn’t generate leads on my own at the scale necessary and with the budget I had set aside, no matter how hard I tried to set up a profitable adwords campaign using the lead pricing that Adam had instructed me to use with the dentists I had signed up. I was stuck on my own, waiting for Adam to come through on his promises. Adam assured me every couple of weeks along the way that things were “moving along” or that he’d “have it taken care of by this weekend” or that he just “needed to hear back from someone” before we could get the ball rolling. I’d have gladly jumped ship at any time if he’d given me a legitimate, honest response telling me that he wouldn’t be able to deliver what he promised. But instead, I just kept going while receiving reassurance such as these DIRECT quotes from him:

“we’re going to make a s**t load of money”

After asking him every couple of weeks if he was still on board, he’d say “oh yeah, definitely. Let’s get this going.”

“we’ve got leads coming in, I just need to log in and check it this weekend.” (referring to his adwords and call tracking account)

About 3 months in to working with him (around November 2014,) he introduced me to one of his VPs (let’s call this person Erik to avoid real names,) one of his project directors in a new company he started called WebCorp. At this point, Adam handed all communication off to Erik, so he was the one to relay to me things like “he says he’ll take care of it by Monday” or “he says he’ll take care of it when he’s back from his trip.” His VP, Erik, was simply caught in the middle, and he did a great job of working on things from his end, but Adam just never came through on anything.

One thing as a side point: At one point along the way (around December 2014,) Adam asked me to be a project manager for him on a separate project. We were building an affiliate site together, and I was supposed to make 20% of revenue off the site. After working on if for over 40 hours, Adam scrapped the project. 20% of $0 is still $0, so I wasn’t paid for any of the work.

By February 2015, after we’d been working together about 6 months, Adam agreed to let me set up an adwords campaign in a shared account with him, and if he could pay for the ads upfront, we could split profits 50/50. A full month later (March 2015) after he had apparently checked the campaign I had put together and said everything looked good and started running the ads, we had spent $700 and got one lead. Most of this money was spent on clicks from people WAY outside of the geographic area around the area we were targeting. He had forgotten to set the correct geographic radius like I asked him to, and I didn’t have correct Admin access to do so. At this point, Adam was apparently very disappointed with the project, and scrapped everything.

So, at this point it had been 7 months that I’d been working with Adam. I’d been working with Erik for about 4 months, and Erik could back up my entire story from that point, as we were on calls with Adam at the same time. I was $20k in the hole on this project, my entire savings set aside for the project had been exhausted, and I had a list of 27 clients who were all angry with me because they were never going to get any leads.

By April 2015, after paying back the deposits that I charged each dentist when they signed up, I had to start selling off my office furniture to pay my personal bills. I sold my truck to pay my mortgage that month, and I sold my desk and chairs to pay my wife’s car payment. I maxed out my credit card to help pay for groceries and diapers and baby food. I was stuck with 100% of the bill on this project spearheaded by Adam, and I was never going to get a dime out of him.

I emailed Adam to see if there might be some other way that I could be involved in his company. I figured there was no way that he would have put me in this position on purpose, and that he would probably be able to see my side of things if I just explained it to him. After all, he’s the one who continually reassured me that things were moving along, and he never once admitted that the project had the potential to fall apart like it had.

I figured since Adam apparently had several companies clearing over $100k per month, there must be a way that someone like me could get involved and make enough money to get by. After emailing Adam, here’s the exact email response I got from him:

Ben,

i do care, let's chat about this tomorrow.

Adam

The next day we spoke on Skype, and Adam said he’d get me involved in his company and he’d find a way to “make [me] tons of money.” I was glad he said that, but I was still skeptical that it would ever pan out.

Within the next 2 months (by June 2015) Adam had offered me a commission-only sales job selling bobble head dolls, and that’s it. At that point I knew that none of the salespeople working for him had been paid either, so I had no intention of getting involved in that. He did say he’d help me sell a website I own to help me raise some capital and that he’d put me in touch with his broker, but after an initial conversation, his broker fell off the face of the earth too. So, it was clear Adam wasn’t going to help, and that he likely didn’t take any personal responsibility for how things had gone. I emailed him a couple more times, but I didn’t get a response.

Now, it’s been about 14 months since I first started working with Adam, and things are a little bit better, due in no small part to the fact that I work 60 hour weeks to try to salvage a small part of the business I once had before Adam got involved. My goals are no longer to strike it rich, but rather just to pay the bills and somehow climb out of the hole that Adam helped me dig.

I know it’s not 100% Adam’s fault that this is how things turned out. I have to take plenty of responsibility for being so trusting of someone I didn’t know very well. I honestly don’t even know how to put a dollar amount on the damage that working with Adam has caused. If I’d continued to build my existing business on my own without involving Adam, I suspect I could have built it into something great on my own, but instead I trusted someone that didn’t have any intention of fulfilling his promises. I don’t know if he does this on purpose, or if he just doesn’t know how to tell the truth any more, but I do know though that if he truly did want to help make things right, he’d do more than send a one-sentence email to me to let me know that he cares.

I am certain I’m far from the worst victim of Adam’s deception, but I still feel like he needs to own up to what he’s doing with his life. For the 9 months that we were in regular communication, I couldn’t believe that Adam would be leading me along with no intention of helping. I figured he’d be honest and let me know if there were a chance that he couldn’t fulfill every promise he made to me, but he was VERY clear that I had nothing to worry about.

So, Adam Dicker, now is your chance to respond. You know I’m not lying about any of this. Although you have a different perspective on this, I'm not lying about anything. Plenty of people know that everything I’ve said here is the truth. You’re messing with people’s lives here, and not everyone can blow a ton of money on a failed project and still come out ok. I’m set back more than 16 months financially with this little venture, and I doubt you lost any sleep over it. If you are sincerely worried about this, then please let me know. You have my email.

I can vouch for what blenja_man has said here and can attest to his honesty, work ethic and character. I worked with him on several occasions and this project was indeed a heart wrenching failure largely, in my opinion, as a result of him trusting the promises and false claims of Adam. Claims he made of expertise, of commitment, of time investment and and more that were not given or intended to give. The over promising and under delivering (and that's putting it nicely) is not just a bad habit and it shouldn't be brushed aside as no big deal.... Real harm can and does result from this and real lives are affected. When someone of influence and prominence makes promises and claims, there is an even greater responsibility to live up to the trust that others put in them. Simply put, if you cannot or will not deliver, then do not offer. If you cannot or will not keep your word, then do not give it. And if you do have true and honest intentions but realize along the way that thing are not going as planned, do not continue to string people along for days, weeks, and months and make what is already bad, worse.

•••
If you are from Europe, Adam Dicker also will be at the London Domain Summit.

Entry is free, food and drinks as well.

.. you are grown-ups > put up your pants and talk to Adam in person or directly online.

And, if there are still unresolved issues > make arrangements like GROWN-UPS do. .. sign contracts, work on payment plans etc.. are we in the kindergarten? Sounds fair?

Show me 1 person who hasn't f***ed up at some point in the life? I can't.

.. I could also start few threads about few big names in our industry (and 10+ about me) how we have f***ed up at some stages of our lives.

:D :D .. and 1 well-known guy from our industry has even blocked me after I announced that there will be a livestream with Adam. .. :D :D

All the best all!!

What has happened, has happened. Life moves on. And, in this simple business world of ours, there are simple baby steps on how agreements are made over unresolved issues.

What a FARCE - Grown UPS are you kidding. KNOW the facts - Knowingly ripping people off is different than making a BAD BUSINESS DECISION .. Get a clue before you comment.

•••
Well, it seems that Adam Dicker and Helmut enjoy "playing" with people. After my prior post, Helmuts PM'd me (7/26) to offer to help me by talking to Adam on my behalf. I agreed to his help. On 7/27, he told me he'd "just had a chat with Adam" and asked that I email Adam. I sent an email to Adam, blind copying Helmuts (Helmuts@*********.com). Adam responded to my email, promising to call me that Friday (7/29). And he kept that promise and I spoke to him on Friday. On the call he was cordial and promised to send the money to me by the following Friday (8/05/22). In subsequent exchanges, I told him that Venmo or Paypal would be fine. He quickly responded that Venmo isn't allowed in Canada. I responded that Paypal, or any other method, would be fine. That was the last I heard from him, despite follow-up emails from me on 8/16 and 8/25. I wrote to Helmuts on NP 8/30 to ask if he knew this and/or was "in on it". Then I sent Helmets an email on 9/20 asking the same. No further word from Adam or Helmuts.

Many of you will think I'm making a fool of myself. Frankly, I'm not upset about this, just disappointed to see that Adam has no shame to try to "rub my face" in my prior trust of him. I didn't really fall for it this time, but I thought it was worth a try to see if he had any sincerity or truth in him. Unfortunately, this reflects on Helmets as well, as it seems he was enjoying the joke all along, and continues to feature Adam in his work.

I may have been naive, but I was honest and upright in my dealings. God will deal with Adam and Helmuts as He determines is appropriate. Hopefully, He will be merciful.

I am posting so others will know the character of those involved (I am not hurt if you chide or ridicule me in this).

•••
And Remember Folks DomainShane.com is Shane CULTRA. I am the guy with the visor, on Sherpa and runs a lot.

This is a completely different Shane.

•••
If anyone has issues with me please feel free to reach out directly at [email protected]
The only way anything can be resolved is if people reach out, otherwise it's just noise.

•••
So Adam is paying you guys back by promising (in the future) to give you some software and.... (in the future) give you advice on how to run your business?

You can't make this sh*t up

•••
I also had a project which was never completed as promised.

I wanted to keep this private, for Adam's sake, and reached out to both Adam and Andrew. I was told last week, by Adam, that he would reimburse me this week. So far he hasn't. I sent Adam two emails this week, both have gone unanswered.

Since Adam seems to be taking care of those who make their complaints public, I have decided to do so as well, to get closure.

•••
I just gotta say, adam and michael do not know when to end a conversation. They said bye about 10 times

•••
I sent him a few domains to grade and he chose FloridaLoan.com. He told me that he can build a website for $3,000. I finally broke down and told him yes. I sent him the $3,000. He assign this job to one of his "employees" which never got in touch with me when I had a problem with the unfinished website. I would try to get a hold of Dicker but slow response! When, he did email or call back, it would always be " next week it should be done". That must of been 8,9,or 10 times that that when on. They still did not get the website right or done. One example was the telephone on the site was not mine or even a working number. I emailed or wrote to him(Facebook) over 6,7 time about the number but it was never corrected. He finally called me and told me that He will try to sell FloridaLoan.com for me at The Conference. And, if he didn't, he would refund my $3,000(this went on for over 6 months). I got in touch with him after the Conference and he told me that he never said he would refund my $3,000. I swear he did!!!!!!!

Thank you,

Victor

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back