17.3%

• 52 votes
  • Ended 8 years ago
  • Final results

domain invest3r

Pinyin domains for saleEstablished Member
Impact
Hi Guys,

I have been doing some research having recently acquired a decent hand regged portfolio. I can see that the general split between parking a domain and developing it is dependant on time/money/expertise etc.

But in light of the other options which include the below, I am keen to get your thoughts on whether it is really worth parking a domain?
  • forwarding to a portfolio website
  • developing the website
  • creating a bespoke landing page
Another reason I ask is that I find parked domains to be really unpleasant looking and have heard that the money generated from them is nominal at best. So with this in mind, is it really worth parking a domain? Grateful for your thoughts. If the answer is yes I would be grateful if you could let me know why and how?

DI

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just got my first 9 USD click at Smartname on a 0.00 USD (11 months domain). It seems they force the keywords afterall.
Hello decades80,

Do you think smartname parking is better than DNS/IT parking. I tried to force keywords on other platform but it made things even worse.

•••
Ive just heard from Zaki that if you force keywords at DNS, its very important to add it 100% in the right category. Lets say you have tax resolution domain, putting it to Tax audit category will make things worse, but putting it to offers in compromise category would get you high CPC. So it doesnt work on all domains. Will let you know about the progress on Smartname. I parked all 0.00 domains with X-XX CPC. Well see.

•••
I will not make a fortune, but adding keywords at Smartname.com is magic. It seems its really forcing them on wrongly optimized domains by Google. Received already some X USD clicks and the highest is 19 USD till today. You should Simply try them on the domains with wrong ads...

•••
Thanks for the update. I think I have to start with DNS but sedo also entice me for its 10% final value fee for domains sold on it's platform.

•••
Bump- the general consensus seems to be that parking is not worth it. The better alternative being to implement a sales lander or forward to a developed portfolio. Would be keen to hear more views though.

Parking Domain Names is most definitely worth it *IF* (and it's a big IF) your Domain Names have real traffic which usually means type-in or typo traffic and you're not doing anything else with them. At the end of the day most platforms will manage your parking revenue and your sales functionality which is much easier than trying to re-invent the wheel by creating your own pages from scratch.

Overall parking revenue has declined significantly over the years but it is still worth having and my guess is that the Poll Respondents, on the whole, are generally those with Domains that have no traffic or revenue and hence, in that sense, it is irrelevant for most people.

However, if your Domain Names are Dot Coms renewing at around $10/yr you only need your domain to score just over 40 cents a month to cover half of your Domain Name renewal fees. It's not going to make you rich but its income earned passively and it also takes the pressure off financially when it comes to renewal fees. You may feel less urgency to sell your Domains (because of the contribution from parking) and it also means you may be more likely to hold out for a higher priced sale in the event that you do get offers. Not to mention that proof of traffic and revenue itself increases the value of a Domain.

It also varies a great deal on the subject matter of the Domain Name. In the old days, some keywords and subject areas, such as Loans, Insurance and Gambling Domains, were capable of generating anywhere from $20 to $50 USD from a single parking page click which obviously means you only needed to achieve one $50 click every five years to cover renewal fees for that Domain. Of course, today things are quite different...

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the update. I think I have to start with DNS but sedo also entice me for its 10% final value fee for domains sold on it's platform.

think about it:

you send them traffic
they get an inquiry
you pay 10% or 15 - 20%

•••
Yes, pointing towards selling page is also a good idea but I'm addicted to checking parking revenue everyday. Lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back