It's 2023, GoDaddy doesn't allow grace period domains to be transferred

Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
Hello folk,

@GoDaddy

I have three expired domains but are still in the grace period.

Godaddy blocked me from transferring them away, saying they must be active domains.

Guys, see what this customer service said here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.25 PM.png
    60 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.36 PM.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.52.42 PM.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 88
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Godaddy said their Grace Period is 19 days.

Anyone has comment on this?

•••
•••
GD allowed me to xfer domains within post-30 days of expiry.

idk if that changed since last time i did it... but.... yeah you can xfer names max 30 days after the expiration date from GD....

the world is changing.

•••
GD allowed me to xfer domains within post-30 days of expiry.

idk if that changed since last time i did it... but.... yeah you can xfer names max 30 days after the expiration date from GD....

the world is changing.
when did that happen? Not long ago?

•••
They don't want some money, they want ALL the money they can grab. I'm very glad I left them many years ago, thousands of domains, and they were far better than nowadays! 19 days grace period? What a joke!

•••
They don't want some money, they want ALL the money they can grab. I'm very glad I left them many years ago, thousands of domains, and they were far better than nowadays! 19 days grace period? What a joke!

1. Acquire competitors and other good companies. Become an industry monopoly. . You have no options but to use godaddy services

2. Increase price! Domain renewal fee now is almost 2+ times more than other registrars

3. Shorten the Grace period. Now it’s 19 days only. You have to pay more or permanently lose your domain.

4. If pass the grace period, they would put domains in their auction market to make huge money

Honestly it’s a great strategy to create such a closed business circle, perfect model to make more money. I think every entrepreneur should learn from them

Last edited:
•••
Godaddy said their Grace Period is 19 days.

Anyone has comment on this?
It is, but you should be able to transfer the domains up until 30 days after expiry. You need to tell the agent to let you speak with a supervisor. Most of those agents are probably paid on commission basis and they make you pay for whatever they can get away with so they can possibly make extra commission. Your domain expired on Oct 24th and you should be able to transfer it till Nov 22nd.

You should be able to unlock the domain from your account and they must send you the transfer code. When you request the transfer code manually after 19 days of expiry you may not see it live in your account, but the codes usually arrives via email within a day or two. You can keep trying that and make sure if you don't receive it then ask the agent to send it to you manually. You have to be firm. It has happened to me a couple of time and I transferred all my domains away from GD. I was firm with the agents and told them they can not keep the domain hostage and demand me to pay the redemption fee of $90 or whatever it was and they eventually sent me the auth code. As long as it is under 30 days after expiry you should be able to do it.

Last edited:
•••
1. Acquire competitors and other good companies. Become an industry monopoly. . You have no options but to use godaddy services

2. Increase price! Domain renewal fee now is almost 2+ times more than other registrars

3. Shorten the Grace period. Now it’s 19 days only. You have to pay more or permanently lose your domain.

4. If pass the grace period, they would put domains in their auction market to make huge money

Honestly it’s a great strategy to create such a closed business circle, perfect model to make more money. I think every entrepreneur should learn from them
The domains do not go into auction until the 26 days post expiry. But even then you should be able to transfer the domains before end of 30 days post expiry as long as there is no active bid on the domain within those 4 days. If there is an active bid then I think you can not transfer and the domains are removed from the account

Last edited:
•••
It used to be possible but it seems since they updated the domain manager it is no longer.

•••
It used to be possible but it seems since they updated the domain manager it is no longer.
I think you can transfer out your names. Ask for a supervisor.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back