Dynadot

Just created and purchased 7 brand new TLDs!!! What are your thoughts?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Pavlentiy

Established Member
Impact
As the title says, I have just minted 7 brand new web3.0 TLDs. I have done tremendous amount of research and marinating, to finally pull the plug and purchase the following:

.w3live
.w3tech
.w3shop
.w3online
.w3world
.w3travel
.w3store

These are mine, forever! No transfer fees, no maintenance fees, no annual fees, nothing! What I do have and purchased along with the aforementioned, are royalty rights to each of them. What that means, is - should anyone, at any point in time, wish to create a domain on top, I am entitled to 50% of the domain cost.

The hardest part was trying to figure out what will most likely be desired - web3 vs w3. There is a really good discussion here, on one of the posts, regarding exactly this topic. As I initially thought, 'w3' has the general public's consensus. I, myself, prior to even stumbling upon the aforementioned discussion, have seen numerous 'w3' abbreviations used for in a plethora of domains. Obviously, the length, or the general desire to have TLD's be as short as possible, would naturally dictate w3 to be the winner... however, when searching for the above, I noticed some of the extensions were already purchased for web3 prefixes. Again, those who purchased them, were newbies interested in web3 content, just like me. We will see who wins but I have to say I am absolutely STOKED!!

The extensive research I did, was in regards to the traffic and popularity of the extensions (everything following 'w3') themselves. Everything that you see, is in the top 20 TLDs - meaning every TLD (e.g. .travel, .live, .tech, .online.... etc) was among the top 20 most popular TLDs... Not only that, but there is a service that tracks every single TLD indexed by ICANN and the respective account of each and every domain built in the past year on top of them. Those TLDs are also in the top 20 for most generated domains on top of them.

Anyway.... what do you guys think? By the way (and please take this as a joke, unless of course someone wants to.. because it's meant as a joke and not a shill) if anyone decides to create on top... I'll give them 25%n off, hahhah.

But seriously, as you can tell, I am extremely excited and am interested in your opinions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Handshake Domains, Name Base TLDs, Stopable Domains are minted on Blockchain. While regular domains like .com, .net, .org are hosted in Internet, Domains or TLDs hosted in Blockchain are different. Your domains are consider as assets on Metaverse, and Metaverse is still under development.

There are still concerns about Metaverse :

- Metaverse is on blockchain, and there are alot of blockchains : BTC, Ethereum, EOS, Doge Coin, Solana, etc. Not all blockchain has a bridge to Ethereum or between 2 blockchains. Which blockchain will be well adopted as Metaverse base aren't seen yet.
- Each Blockchain has its on money / Crypto Coin. BTC and Ethereum are the biggest blockchain. But to process Metaverse trades, it is another story from creating a Crypto in a blockchain.
- Internet domains are to masking IP address of a page in internet space. But in blockchain, address are in blocks not IP. So the use of NFT domains are to masking wallet address and block adress on a blockchain.

So we can argue now if the NFT domains are the future or not. As well as we are still waiting if Web will move from Internet to Blockchain or not, or if 10 years later Crypto will be still a trend or Crypto will be prooved as a fail.

But as an investment, buying NFT domains are OK. The same as buying new not popular TLDs like .one, .restaurant, .online, etc. Investment can be a profit or lost investment, in domaining investment is about time. We can't argue if a new domain will make a profit or not.. See .ws and .uno, they are not giving high profit after years of investment.

Last edited:
•••
I got

.cbdc
.agi
.sats

on Decentraweb.org, day before yesterday but am really not sure if its a good investment. Time will tell

•••
I got

.cbdc
.agi
.sats

on Decentraweb.org, day before yesterday but am really not sure if its a good investment. Time will tell
Daaang... how much was the agi and .sats? I mean those are specific but on freename, they each, especially the last two, would cost 29k. .sats might be less but anything 2, 3 letters is 29 grand. I have never even heard of the decentraweb. Gotta check it out. I was really lucky to have got mine.. all for 1200 bucks and i promise in two years, I wont think about letting any go for less than 10 grands. Icann will have mo choice but to start indexing, as decentralization keeps taking over. As to the other post here - yes, who knows... but various blockchains have nothing to do with these domains... these domains are not specific to a particular chain. Meaning.... well, lets take one of mine for example... w3shop... it's now mine... there cannot be w3shop on BSC, or polygon, or ethereum... imaginr the confusion and mis-traffic it would cause. Soooo, in essence, once they start being indexed, we're game. I just hope someone will want to use mine
But again "w3" seems to be the universally adopted abbrv for web3. And even though, technically, we can create as many as we'd like or possible... conformity and pteferen e to standardized tld's will remain. What i mean is, even though someone could create .shopbestshoesintheworld tld... it will alsways be a one off vs the preferred bestshoes.w3shop

At least I hope so 😀

•••
Daaang... how much was the agi and .sats? I mean those are specific but on freename, they each, especially the last two, would cost 29k. .sats might be less but anything 2, 3 letters is 29 grand. I have never even heard of the decentraweb. Gotta check it out. I was really lucky to have got mine.. all for 1200 bucks and i promise in two years, I wont think about letting any go for less than 10 grands. Icann will have mo choice but to start indexing, as decentralization keeps taking over. As to the other post here - yes, who knows... but various blockchains have nothing to do with these domains... these domains are not specific to a particular chain. Meaning.... well, lets take one of mine for example... w3shop... it's now mine... there cannot be w3shop on BSC, or polygon, or ethereum... imaginr the confusion and mis-traffic it would cause. Soooo, in essence, once they start being indexed, we're game. I just hope someone will want to use mine
But again "w3" seems to be the universally adopted abbrv for web3. And even though, technically, we can create as many as we'd like or possible... conformity and pteferen e to standardized tld's will remain. What i mean is, even though someone could create .shopbestshoesintheworld tld... it will alsways be a one off vs the preferred bestshoes.w3shop

At least I hope so 😀
Well in total for all three, around 410€ . I just wanted to try it out. Until the browsers and website possibilities dont improve its all speculation.

•••
It seems to be the .mobi of 2023. No value as I see it. Stick with .com would be my advice.

•••
It seems to be the .mobi of 2023. No value as I see it. Stick with .com would be my advice.
I do that but got to try new things out. Just the way I am.

•••
I got:

... (it is pronounced as dot dot dot. So, the first dot is the dot and the other two are to the right of the dot).

I am sure it is going to be the next big thing, the dot com killer. I already had Amazon calling. They want to secure amazon... (amazon dot dot dot), but I said I'll let them know when the sunrise pre reg period starts.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

•••
•••
I do that but got to try new things out. Just the way I am.
I am with you. Even if it doesn't pan out. I am certain that I will be able to recoup the fraction they all cost, of what any decent .com would cost annually. I'm seeing a lot of crypto projects hosted on domains that are not ICANN managed or listed, yet they do not care. It's coming, that's for certain. But yes... it will be a boom and many will tank.

I do think, however, most do not like chaos and having an endless amount of varying TLDs will not be celebrated as having choice, etc. Just hoping mine will be ones that are somewhat desired.

•••
BTW, I see my first post has earned me a negative impact score... Friendly community here I see

•••
Good luck👍
Ya those invisible downvotes are great way to welcome new people.

•••
As the title says, I have just minted 7 brand new web3.0 TLDs. I have done tremendous amount of research and marinating, to finally pull the plug and purchase the following:

.w3live
.w3tech
.w3shop
.w3online
.w3world
.w3travel
.w3store

These are mine, forever! No transfer fees, no maintenance fees, no annual fees, nothing! What I do have and purchased along with the aforementioned, are royalty rights to each of them. What that means, is - should anyone, at any point in time, wish to create a domain on top, I am entitled to 50% of the domain cost.

The hardest part was trying to figure out what will most likely be desired - web3 vs w3. There is a really good discussion here, on one of the posts, regarding exactly this topic. As I initially thought, 'w3' has the general public's consensus. I, myself, prior to even stumbling upon the aforementioned discussion, have seen numerous 'w3' abbreviations used for in a plethora of domains. Obviously, the length, or the general desire to have TLD's be as short as possible, would naturally dictate w3 to be the winner... however, when searching for the above, I noticed some of the extensions were already purchased for web3 prefixes. Again, those who purchased them, were newbies interested in web3 content, just like me. We will see who wins but I have to say I am absolutely STOKED!!

The extensive research I did, was in regards to the traffic and popularity of the extensions (everything following 'w3') themselves. Everything that you see, is in the top 20 TLDs - meaning every TLD (e.g. .travel, .live, .tech, .online.... etc) was among the top 20 most popular TLDs... Not only that, but there is a service that tracks every single TLD indexed by ICANN and the respective account of each and every domain built in the past year on top of them. Those TLDs are also in the top 20 for most generated domains on top of them.

Anyway.... what do you guys think? By the way (and please take this as a joke, unless of course someone wants to.. because it's meant as a joke and not a shill) if anyone decides to create on top... I'll give them 25%n off, hahhah.

But seriously, as you can tell, I am extremely excited and am interested in your opinions.
Good luck with it mate, interesting idea. Let us know when someone registers one, might look into it as well haha

•••
Good luck with it mate, interesting idea. Let us know when someone registers one, might look into it as well haha
Absolutely bruv... will do!

Over the weekend I will also put them up on Opensea.io to see what (if any) offers they will commend. I'm seeing some really interesting stuff - numeric TLD, representing not sure what, with the last sale price of 5 eth (somewhere around 9 thousand bucks)... insane.

Will let everyone know as soon as there is any movement anywhere.

•••
Sooo, I just came onto a very interesting and bothersome discovery. I was browsing through opensea to get an idea of what TLDs are going for and came up against country TLDs like .au or .mx, or .ru for sale. All created on decentraweb. Hmmm, those are unauthorized and cannot be sold as TLD's as they are managed/owned and belong to countries. Then I decided to check against mine and see that technically they are listed as available and can be minted. WOW!!! Will let you know when I find out more details.

•••
So, just got my first royalty for a domain created on .w3online tld... hahaha a few bucks only but... its a start 😀

•••
I don‘t see how any of the blockchain / web3 domains can work out in the long run. Unless ICANN gets on board, and they‘ve historically been resistant, it just doesn’t work in my opinion.

The biggest problem is that with no authority, or regulatory organization, anyone can sell web3 TLDs. You registered w3tech on freename.io, but I can register it on a dozen other blockchains. The value with ICANN domains comes from being the definitive owner of a global namespace. With web3 domains you own one of the broken pieces in a fractured namespace.

ICANN will never let anyone else create TLDs, so the best hope would be for each blockchain to get an ICANN TLD so they can map their domains into the ICANN namespace.

For example, if freename.io had .fns as an ICANN TLD, they could at least turn your TLDs into (ex) w3tech.fns, etc.. That‘s not a great domain, but it’s better than a bunch of competing, fractured domain name systems.

Maybe at some point browsers could support blockchain protocols that could use the ICANN namespaces to identify the blockchain. For example, go.w3tech.fns could be translated to something like w3+fns://go.w3tech.

However, I can’t imagine that ever happening. Google owns registries in the ICANN system, so that’s already a disincentive to helping the use of blockchain domains. Additionally, Google is doing pretty good in the current system (using http), so there’s no reason to start supporting alternate web3 protocols in the browser, right?

Think of it this way…. I can add .com to my Bind9 (DNS) server and sell the rights to it for $1k. Would anyone buy that? Not likely unless the browser supported my alternate DNS root and that‘s never going to happen. Blockchain / web3 domains are the same concept, but with fancy, new buzzwords thrown in.

I’ve registered a single blockchain domain. It’s the .eth version of my main .com. I think they’re the only blockchain that might be able to build some kind of ecosystem and I figured 10 years of registration for $150 was worth spending as a hedge just in case it ever gains traction.

Sorry for the negative sentiment, but that’s the opinion I have on pretty much all blockchain / web3 domains.

Last edited:
•••
I don‘t see how any of the blockchain / web3 domains can work out in the long run. Unless ICANN gets on board, and they‘ve historically been resistant, it just doesn’t work in my opinion.

The biggest problem is that with no authority, or regulatory organization, anyone can sell web3 TLDs. You registered w3tech on freename.io, but I can register it on a dozen other blockchains. The value with ICANN domains comes from being the definitive owner of a global namespace. With web3 domains you own one of the broken pieces in a fractured namespace.

ICANN will never let anyone else create TLDs, so the best hope would be for each blockchain to get an ICANN TLD so they can map their domains into the ICANN namespace.

For example, if freename.io had .fns as an ICANN TLD, they could at least turn your TLDs into (ex) w3tech.fns, etc.. That‘s not a great domain, but it’s better than a bunch of competing, fractured domain name systems.

Maybe at some point browsers could support blockchain protocols that could use the ICANN namespaces to identify the blockchain. For example, go.w3tech.fns could be translated to something like w3+fns://go.w3tech.

However, I can’t imagine that ever happening. Google owns registries in the ICANN system, so that’s already a disincentive to helping the use of blockchain domains. Additionally, Google is doing pretty good in the current system (using http), so there’s no reason to start supporting alternate web3 protocols in the browser, right?

Think of it this way…. I can add .com to my Bind9 (DNS) server and sell the rights to it for $1k. Would anyone buy that? Not likely unless the browser supported my alternate DNS root and that‘s never going to happen. Blockchain / web3 domains are the same concept, but with fancy, new buzzwords thrown in.

I’ve registered a single blockchain domain. It’s the .eth version of my main .com. I think they’re the only blockchain that might be able to build some kind of ecosystem and I figured 10 years of registration for $150 was worth spending as a hedge just in case it ever gains traction.

Sorry for the negative sentiment, but that’s the opinion I have on pretty much all blockchain / web3 domains.

No buddy, do not apologize. I actually really enjoyed reading your thoughts... truly. Its the - "you're an idiot...web3 sucks... its dying and already died" comments that I absolutely cannot stand. And we can agree that (I am going take a chance and speak for the both of us here, based on your comment) this goes for everything - I abhor statements made out of pure conjecture. Everyone is allowed to their opinions, just not their own facts. So, this is my elaborated way to actually thank you for such a well constructed thought and response.

You very well may be right about a lot of these things. However, I do not see ICANN continuing to matter if they do not get on board. The entire premise of web3 is to circumvent regulatory bodies and centralized entities with a grip on content... this, in essence, was the foundation of many blockchains at least. With everything from cloud services to domains supported by a web of individuals, there is no need for icann. So, my prediction is - despite their apparent hesitancy, should they choose to remain valid, they will be forced into supportive regulation. The question remains - which tlds will they support, which system can regulate a clearly limitless web of tlds. But I think, just as you, yourself mentioned, there will be a solution that will simply convert tlds. Just as you reasoned, today, it is exactly how it works. For example I also own a few .wallet domains. One of them is attached to my web3 crypto wallet. So, instead of typing out a sequence of 30+ random characters, it is translated and attached to cryptoagent007.wallet

The problem I see and myself have already experiences is exactly what you described - multiple registrars issuing the same domains and extensions. Freename will not let you create something that belongs to icann or has a recognition value.. for example i will not be able to create nike.web3 But idiotic, money hungry morrons at decentraweb will. Not only will they, but they have allowed people to create ccTLDs!!! Can you believe that?? A part of me wants to say - "those who minted ans paid for tlds like .uk, .ca, .mx, .online, etc, deserve the rude awakening when ICANN shuts them down and they lose all they spent... should know better than to recreate cctld's or gTLDs already managed by icann" but the problem is that one of my tlds has been minted on there. They mint their on eth chain while freename mints using other chains. Interesting what will happen once they bring in eth chain compatibility, as they currently plan to.

Freename has also launched an extension which allows for surfing web3 domains and tlds. Currently it queries wallets, domains and tlds from unstoppable domains, freename and ENS. Interesting what will happen when someone purchases another ens tlds on decentraweb and is baffled when all traffic goes to me. Soooo - this is a problem, a big one! You are 100% correct and no matter the calls for decentralization, somwthing will have to govern.

Right now, there is a web3 domain alliance that has 51 member registrars. They aim to do exactly that. I believe their policy is to recognize whoever was first to create a particular tld in question.

All in all, very interesting to see how everything plays out. Again, thank you, you have absolutely valid points and fears. I took a thousand dollar gamble and hope it works out 😃

•••
Look , I have .AGI and .ASI Tlds (Ethereum) and companies are falling over themselves to get them. Yesterday I received an 1 eth offer for one of them. I refused. Now being offered partnerships . Not accepted anything as yet.
Same with all of them. First nice, then threats and then again nice.

Last edited:
•••
Look , I have .AGI and .ASI Tlds (Ethereum) and companies are falling over themselves to get them. Yesterday I received an 1 eth offer for one of them. I refused. Now being offered partnerships . Not accepted anything as yet.
Same with all of them. First nice, then threats and then again nice.
niiiiice! Congrats my man. Hoping to at least get some perpetual income for the ones I own. I literally added a w3 prefix to the top 20 and growing tld on .com After seeing that all tech prefers w3 over web3 in their registrars, that is what I went with. Love to see that you are getting traction!

•••
niiiiice! Congrats my man. Hoping to at least get some perpetual income for the ones I own. I literally added a w3 prefix to the top 20 and growing tld on .com After seeing that all tech prefers w3 over web3 in their registrars, that is what I went with. Love to see that you are getting traction!
Thank you Pavlentiy. I wish us all tons of success.

•••
When the next web version will emerge these are completely useless

•••
Good to know. I hold a few TLDs from Freename

.DAOs
.DigitalWallet
.TheUniverse
.Web3XR
.Web5XR

Almost touching 3 figures from sld domain registrations on these TLDs from users.

•••
I don't buy/sell domains, so my opinions about the domain industry are from the perspective of a registrant. I think one of the things I think the current system is doing poorly is creating stability.

I think the registries are run by business and finance people, not product focused people. There's a lot of price discrimination and price fluctuation. It also seems like there's been a trend towards reducing registrant rights and ICANN seems to get most of their "ideas" from the registries, not registrars or registrants. For example, it wasn't registrars or registrants that came up with the idea to remove price caps on some of the ogTLDs (original TLDs).

So, as a registrant, I immediately favor .com as the safest TLD. There's strength in numbers and, if I'm going to invest into building on a TLD, I want the one that's the least risky in terms of price hikes, dispute rules, not failing, etc.. Registrants objectively have fewer rights on the nTLDs (new TLDs) than on the ogTLDs and, of the ogTLDs, only .com and .net still have price caps AFAIK. I'm sure there will be effort to remove those in 2024 when the contract expires, so hopefully .com has enough registrants to resist the effort.

TLDR; If I'm going to buy in to a TLD, I want something low risk and predictable.

These are mine, forever! No transfer fees, no maintenance fees, no annual fees, nothing!

That screams "risky" to me. If you're not bearing the cost of operation and maintenance over the long term, someone else is, and it may not make financial sense for them to bear that cost long term. I've never seen anyone honor a lifetime sale of something that has ongoing costs. In my opinion, those kinds of promises increase the possibility of the TLD simply disappearing one day.

On the ICANN side, all (public) TLD owners are required to put up a bond that would cover 10 years of operating costs and, at least in theory, anyone using a TLD that fails is going to get an extended amount of time to marshal their customers onto a new domain. That reduces the risk of using the nTLDs, but I'd still rather build on a TLD like .com that I know won't disappear.

That 10 year bond makes it tough to beat ICANN on the risk side of things, so I think the only way anyone makes web3 domains work is if they're more innovative. That's why I've emphasized the lack of vision from the current registries above.

The entire premise of web3 is to circumvent regulatory bodies and centralized entities with a grip on content... this, in essence, was the foundation of many blockchains at least.

Yeah, and that's the only way I think it has a chance of working. In my opinion there's no way ICANN and the entrenched industry participants are going to be willing to coexist.

The best way I can see for web3 domains to gain traction is if they can market them as an identity product. Normal people don't care about domains and websites, but if you re-frame the concept of a domain as a global user handle, I think that makes them more attractive to much larger audience. Put another way, I think there's a lot of value in having a globally unique namespace like the current ICANN domains provide.

I've been extremely bullish on the concept of using domain names as globally unique, verifiable handles for years because I think domain (ownership) verification is a good technical solution to help combat impersonation and fraud.

Bluesky recently started allowing domain names as handles, so the concept is getting some traction. If I own example.com, I don't have to be relegated to @example_29 on Bluesky. Instead I can verify I own that domain and be @example.com. If you extend that idea to other networks like YouTube, etc., I don't get stuck with mismatched handles everywhere. Instead of being @exampletech_29 on YouTube and @exampletechguy on Twitch, I can simply be @example.com across all platforms.

To me, that's an improvement over the current system, especially for anyone that's trying to build an online brand and / or following. If I were a company that owned a ton of TLD registries, like Donuts, I'd be lobbying hard for that idea to catch on. How much bigger does the domain industry get if the average person can register a domain to use as a globally unique name/handle?

That's one of the areas where I think web3 domains could possibly capitalize on the lack of vision and innovation on the ICANN side. I'm not sure if the entrenched platform players like YouTube, etc. would get onboard though. They benefit from the confusion created by unmatched handles because it makes it harder for content creators to move between platforms. The current status quo of rampant impersonation also benefits the entrenched platforms because users learn to distrust anyone on an alternate platform that claims to be a content creator they like. If domains acted as well known, verified, trustworthy handles, the confusion and risk associated with finding a creator on an alternate platform disappears and that's bad for someone like YouTube that benefits from having everyone trapped in their silo.

However, I don't think the current web3 domain ecosystem works for creating any kind of consistent end-user experience and I don't think it can be adapted to work.

Right now, there is a web3 domain alliance that has 51 member registrars. They aim to do exactly that. I believe their policy is to recognize whoever was first to create a particular tld in question.

That's very cool (and thanks for pointing it out). I think the only way web3 domains don't fail completely is if there's a "winner" that becomes the authority and, ignoring the split from ICANN, domains / namespaces remain globally unique. An alliance is a step in the right direction. It'll suck for the non-members that end up with worthless blockchains, but, in my opinion, a fractured system is one where they all fail.

The problem I have with the current setup is that it seems to be an alliance where the members are agreeing to collaborate on things that work for them, but it doesn't do much for someone like me if I'm going to buy their product. I don't want a bunch of independent blockchains where picking the wrong one means their failure becomes my failure. It's way too risky for me to invest any time or money into using one of their domains as a brand and / or identity.

I also think that many companies with competing, independent goals all making different promises to their users results in a system that's too confusing and impossible for the average person to use. Most people need a system where they can visit a website, put a domain in their cart, and checkout with a credit card. Cryptocurrency is too complicated and too volatile for the average person. Even foreign exchange rates vs the US dollar are problematic in the current system.

What I think works better is one big system where the role of ICANN is replaced with an alliance of organizations participating in the same blockchain. For example, take something like ENS (the .eth system). They have a good technical system that prevents front-running, so start with a system like that. Then let all the web3 registrars build on top of it. That way there's a single authority which guarantees globally unique namespaces, and if a web3 registrar fails your domain is still on the blockchain.

At that point, I think things would be predictable enough to try to convince platform owners to start adding web3 domain verification as a form of identity / handle verification. In my opinion, that's the killer feature that drives adoption. Imagine if Twitter offered the traditional notoriety based verification, ICANN domain based verification, and web3 domain based verification:

Code:
Ryan Twenty Nine

Blue Check - @example
   Blue "w" --- @example.com
   Blue "w3" -- @example.w3tech

Use any (or all) of those as aliases for the same account and let the account owner decide which ones they want to display. That way I could push my followers to @example.com if I prefer the ICANN system or @example.w3tech if I prefer the web3 system.

If every platform used a system like that, I think it also creates a lot of possibilities related to reputation, trust, attestation, etc.. For example, what if my reputation on StackOverflow was linked to @example.w3tech and a user visiting Twitter could see that (via a reputation plugin)?

I want the web to move to a system where domain verified handles become the norm and, as a regular user, I'll buy in to almost anything that I think has a chance of making it happen. That's half the reason I own a .eth domain. I though there was a non-zero chance the .eth name fad on Twitter would turn into technical verification and special handles.

Sadly, I think all of the current platforms are so tunnel visioned on keeping users in their silos that they'll never buy in to a system that makes names / handles consistent across services.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back