Domain Empire

Lease to Own is Launching Soon at Afternic: Sellers, Here's What You Can Do Today to be Ready!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
We’re excited to share that Lease to Own is coming soon to Afternic. But from today, we’re giving all Afternic sellers early access to start enabling Lease to Own for their domain names!

Once launched to buyers, Lease to Own will be available as an option through Afternic’s Dan.com Landers as well as through GoDaddy when someone searches for your domain name!

This means that we want to invite sellers to enable Lease to Own early so that they can take advantage of the alternative purchase option from day one!

There are 4 steps that sellers can take today to be ready for Lease to Own. Read those, and more, on the Afternic blog.

Why Lease to Own? For some, lower advertised monthly payment may drive an increase in sell-through rate. Lease to own can also provide a recurring income for domain name sellers, which is the goal for many portfolio owners.

What’s launching today?
Afternic domain name sellers have access from today to start enabling Lease to Own on their domain names at Afternic. This can be done individually or in bulk.

What do I need to do to enable Lease to Own?
For existing domains in your Afternic portfolio, you can visit https://www.afternic.com/portfolio/selling where you’ll see a new Lease to Own column. From there, you can enable Lease to Own for individual domain names.

You can also enable Lease to Own in bulk by selecting all domains on a page, then using the Pricing option in the footer toolbar.

Will new additions to my portfolio be automatically enrolled into Lease to Own?
Your new settings page, https://www.afternic.com/account/lander, will allow you to switch on Lease to Own by default for all new domain names that are added to your portfolio, as long as they have a Buy Now price between $495 and $100,000.

While you’re there, you can also choose a default sale lander for domain names that you add to your portfolio in future!

When will Lease to Own show on my landing page?
We will be launching Lease to Own soon, and when we do, a Lease to Own option will be available for customers using the Dan.com Lander option at Afternic. At the same time, we will begin the rollout of Lease to Own at GoDaddy search.

What will Lease to Own look like through GoDaddy search?
Once it rolls out, buyers that search for your domain name at GoDaddy will be presented with a Lease to Own button next to the existing Buy Now button for enabled domain names with a Buy Now price between $495 and $100,000.

What will the commission fees be for sellers?
Standard Afternic commission rates apply to Lease to Own. Sellers will benefit from commission discounts for longer term deals:

Transaction LengthSeller Commission Discount
2-12 months0%
13-24 months5%
25-36 months10%
37-60 months15%

We will share a preview of the GoDaddy search experience soon.

Visit https://www.afternic.com/portfolio/selling to start enabling Lease to Own today!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Finally!
Welcome to the future.

•••
This is huge. Aside from enabling SSL on landing pages, I can't think of anything that should have such an immediate positive impact on everyone's sales like this, especially because its sounds like this will be available in the registrar path at GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
This is huge. Aside from enabling SSL on landing pages, I can't think of anything that should have such an immediate positive impact on everyone's sales like this, especially because its sounds like this will be available in the registrar path at GoDaddy.

Yes! We're going to roll out Lease to Own into the GoDaddy search path. We'll have a preview of that for you soon!

•••
Congrats, the feature of the year...that should be there for years...

Do you have an ETA for godaddy's LTO launch ?

Last edited:
•••
Congrats, the feature of the year...that should be there for years...

Do you have an ETA for godaddy's LTO launch ?

We'll let the community know when we start rolling this out to buyers, but it will be soon.

•••
The commission structure confuses me so much tho. I highly recommend updating your Afternic calculator when this gets implemented: https://www.afternic.com/sell-domains (it should also include how much the buyer will pay monthly and in total, not only how much seller receives). Overall, an outstanding feature.

Last edited:
•••
@GoDaddy
After reading the FAQ here: https://www.afternic.com/domain-help#lto
This looks very promissing, but I still have some questions.

You've given this example:
"As an example, if a domain name is sold through Lease to Own and the term selected by the buyer is 36 months, the standard commission rate of 25% would be discounted to 15% for the Lease to Own transaction."
Given that example, but the domain is parked at any of your approved nameservers then the commission rate will then be 5%?

Will this work with NS3/NS4.afternic.com from the beginning or only NS1/NS2.afternic.com?

If the buyer changes their mind and want to pay all the left amount can they do that?

Why not use dynamic terms as well as fixed terms, in which the buyer would decide for how long they want to pay and only give us an option to select the maximum term we'd accept.
Example: domain seller sets up to 13 terms for abc.com, buyer buys it and can select any term lenght between 1-13 months.
I understand that might mess up with the commissions we have to pay, but I still feel like it would be a good option to at least have.

•••
I updated my BINs to include the Lease option this evening. Curious if the Afternic BIN lander will show the Lease price, like the Dan.com lander. From the Q & A page, it was unclear to me.

I'd love to be able to manually edit the lower-case/upper-case lettering on my domain sales listings. Some look lame without it.

Last edited:
•••
Can we expect Afternic brokers to try to revive and work on the old "Buyer indicated the domain was priced outside of what they wanted to spend" leads on those domains where we enable the LTO?

•••
Once launched to buyers, Lease to Own will be available as an option through Afternic’s Dan.com Landers as well as through GoDaddy when someone searches for your domain name!
In terms of Dan.com landers, can you explain this:

Use a Dan.com Sale Lander with Buy It Now (BIN) option.

Please note that this Sale Lander only works when your domain is exclusively listed on Afternic.

Can you explain what does "exclusively" mean? Does it mean that if we want to use the Dan.com lander, which is needed to activate LTO, such a domain cannot be listed on other marketplaces at the same time?

•••
Can we expect Afternic brokers to try to revive and work on the old "Buyer indicated the domain was priced outside of what they wanted to spend" leads on those domains where we enable the LTO?

I've been wondering that too, and I certainly prioritized updating those domains first.

I'm not sure when the LTO option will be available to buyers, but I'd definitely think any broker worth their salt would immediately be reaching out to those leads with this offer.

•••
Hi

in the voice of the late Howard Cosell...

down goes Dan!

imo....

•••
Can you explain what does "exclusively" mean? Does it mean that if we want to use the Dan.com lander, which is needed to activate LTO, such a domain cannot be listed on other marketplaces at the same time?
My guess, if you also have the domain listed in dan separately, LTO will not work through the afternic/gd system

•••
A welcome development.

To enable LTO for a domain, its BIN price can’t be over $100,000. Any reason for this?
This is the beginning for Lease to Own at Afternic and we'll look at enabling Lease to Own for domains priced at over $100,000 in future. For now, we are choosing to concentrate on domains between $495 and $100,000.

The commission structure confuses me so much tho. I highly recommend updating your Afternic calculator when this gets implemented: https://www.afternic.com/sell-domains (it should also include how much the buyer will pay monthly and in total, not only how much seller receives). Overall, an outstanding feature.
Thanks for your feedback. Standard commission rates apply for Lease to Own at Afternic. This table may help you understand the commission discount that is available over longer term deals:

Transaction LengthSeller Commission Discount
2-12 months0%
13-24 months5%
25-36 months10%
37-60 months15%

I updated my BINs to include the Lease option this evening. Curious if the Afternic BIN lander will show the Lease price, like the Dan.com lander. From the Q & A page, it was unclear to me.

I'd love to be able to manually edit the lower-case/upper-case lettering on my domain sales listings. Some look lame without it.
The Dan.com lander option at Afternic will show your Lease to Own price once we launch! Support for the Afternic BIN lander will come later down the line.

It's up to the discretion of each broker, but yes, that would be an option that they can deploy. We hope that Lease to Own will present some new opportunities for domain sellers.

In terms of Dan.com landers, can you explain this:

In this instance, we mean that in order to use the Dan.com lander option at Afternic, your domain name cannot be listed on Dan.com itself.

It's worth noting that you can implement LTO without using the Dan.com lander option.

•••
Hi @GoDaddy could you just confirm the the LTO offer will be ONLY at the full fixed price set by the owner?

In other words, no floor prices or make offer minimums or Godaddy reduced prices will be available to buyers and brokers as LTO?

Also if a domain is fast-transfer enabled, will it instantly go into a Godaddy account once buyer clicks to confirm LTO purchase?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back