Domain Empire

discuss Legal discussion of the rights of domain buyers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

makki

Established Member
Impact
Does domain service provider have the legal right to refund money to a customer who purchased a domain that is available for sale under the pretext of a problem that occurred in registering the domain ???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does domain service provider have the legal right to refund money to a customer who purchased a domain that is available for sale under the pretext of a problem that occurred in registering the domain ???
What was the alleged problem with the domain registration?

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
What was the alleged problem with the domain registering?
According to the support team, a technical problem occurred during the registration process, and when searching for the domain after that it became unavailable for sale (TAKEN), knowing that I received an invoice for the purchase.

•••
Upvote 0
According to the support team, a technical problem occurred during the registration process, and when searching for the domain after that it became unavailable for sale (TAKEN), knowing that I received an invoice for the purchase.
They refunded your money, though? Unless the domain is very valuable to you, would you really want to challenge that?
We'll see if other folks here have had a similar issue, and want to weigh in.

I'm sorry to hear that you went through that difficulty. Must be disappointing.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
They refunded your money, though? Unless the domain is very valuable to you, would you really want to challenge that?
We'll see if other folks here have had a similar issue, and want to weigh in.

I'm sorry to hear that you went through that difficulty. Must be disappointing.
They sent me an email apologizing for the mistake, and their solution was to refund the money paid.
It was disappointing.
I will not give up and will take all available steps, because the domain was very valuable to me.
I don't know if someone else had a similar problem.
Thank you for the nice reply.

•••
Upvote 0
They sent me an email apologizing for the mistake, and their solution was to refund the money paid.
It was disappointing.
I will not give up and will take all available steps, because the domain was very valuable to me.
I don't know if someone else had a similar problem.
Thank you for the nice reply.
Sometimes a registrar shows a domain available as there is an issue connecting to the WHOIS database.
Sometimes it is an old for sale listing.

In this case, without more details, who knows.

Brad

•••
Upvote 0
Look up the registration date of the name on any whois. It was likely allready taken and falsely showing as available.

And no you have no recourse. Nothing is guaranteed except a refund.

•••
Upvote 0
When I purchase a domain name it usually post into my account shortly thereafter. I also treat my domain names as I do with all my banking needs by verifying all transactions. What occurred with you was that you trusted the companies invoice as validation for your purchase and not what was actually in your account. Going forward always check behind a domain registrar for your added protection. A few examples is to check your account for the domain name first, then the WHOIS database followed by trying to register the same domain name at another registrar to see if it is still available. As you have already experienced with them when you trusted their recipient and using the honor system is that a valuable domain name to you is just an apology and a refund to them. Due diligence 😉.

•••
Upvote 0
It is possible that the domain was in deletion and it was drop catched by someone, I had such cases at Sav, once I was lucky and was faster to hand reg the domain than Sav drop catching service, and because hand reg of .com at that time was cheaper than their bck order, I have economy some $ on registering it faster than them.
You can look up on (expireddomains.net) and see if the domain is in the list.

But if you think that someone else registered your idea, drop the name here and let's bring hell to that company who did this.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Look up the registration date of the name on any whois. It was likely allready taken and falsely showing as available.

When I bought it directly, its status changed from available to unavailable, as evidence of the completion of the purchase by me.
I received an invoice for the purchase and the price of the domain was paid.
I hope there is an appropriate solution.

•••
Upvote 0

When I purchase a domain name it usually post into my account shortly thereafter. I also treat my domain names as I do with all my banking needs by verifying all transactions. What occurred with you was that you trusted the companies invoice as validation for your purchase and not what was actually in your account. Going forward always check behind a domain registrar for your added protection. A few examples is to check your account for the domain name first, then the WHOIS database followed by trying to register the same domain name at another registrar to see if it is still available. As you have already experienced with them when you trusted their recipient and using the honor system is that a valuable domain name to you is just an apology and a refund to them. Due diligence 😉.
The domain was available for purchase on more than one platform, but as soon as the purchase was completed by me, it became unavailable, as evidence of the success of the purchase, but unfortunately I did not find it in my account.
Thanks for the valuable information, you are right, the matter ends with an apology.

•••
Upvote 0
It is possible that the domain was in deletion and it was drop catched by someone, I had such cases at Sav, once I was lucky and was faster to hand reg the domain than Sav drop catching service, and because hand reg of .com at that time was cheaper than their bck order, I have economy some $ on registering it faster than them.
You can look up on (expireddomains.net) and see if the domain is in the list.

But if you think that someone else registered your idea, drop the name here and let's bring hell to that company who did this.
The domain does not exist in EXPIREDDOMAINS.NET.
I completed the purchase process and received an invoice for that. The domain status also changed from available to unavailable immediately after completing the purchase, but I did not find it in my account.
I don't know what exactly happened, maybe something similar to what you mentioned happened to me.
I have contacted the legal department of the company providing the service, and I am waiting for a response if their procedure is 100% correct.
I will follow the necessary and proper steps to guarantee my rights.
Thank you for the useful information.
I hope it doesn't happen to you or anyone else because it's disappointing.

•••
Upvote 0
Sometimes a registrar shows a domain available as there is an issue connecting to the WHOIS database.

Brad

Brad
Is it possible, I really don't know?
Thank you for sharing your opinion.
I am publishing my case to find out the reasons behind this behavior of the domain service providers, and so that we can avoid such cases when buying a domain, because this thing can happen to me, you, or any buyer.

•••
Upvote 0
This has happened to me severally at Epik. I would be charged for an available domain name and then refunded because someone else registered it.

There's nothing you or the registrar can do if someone put in a request to register the domain name at a registrar faster than the one you used.

Check the whois and see if it was registered by the same Registrar or a different one. A different one means someone might have put in a request that was processed before yours.

But if the domain name is registered at the Registrar who refunded your money, it could mean they had a glitch that prevented them from completing the transaction.

•••
Upvote 0
This has happened to me severally at Epik. I would be charged for an available domain name and then refunded because someone else registered it.

There's nothing you or the registrar can do if someone put in a request to register the domain name at a registrar faster than the one you used.

Check the whois and see if it was registered by the same Registrar or a different one. A different one means someone might have put in a request that was processed before yours.

But if the domain name is registered at the Registrar who refunded your money, it could mean they had a glitch that prevented them from completing the transaction.
Your analysis is the closest to what happened to me.
The domain is now registered in the name of a person in another domain service provider.
Most likely, this person registered the domain before me, and his request was processed and then accepted.
Thanks for the useful information.

•••
Upvote 0
The domain is now registered in the name of a person in another domain service provider.
And what does the date of that registration show. I'm wondering why you have not included this information. My guess is that is probably quite a while ago. Preceding your attempted/failed registration by months if not years.

Those of us that have registered thousands of domains over the years are well aware that is a common problem. As mentioned a quick look at the Whois data will show it was never available in the first place. That should put your mind to rest that it was a genuine mistake at the registry level. It is disappointing but I can assure you the registration services have their backs covered in their T & C's .

just to add it has become worse over the last 5 years or so. And obviously it is with the best names. Its almost become a Gamblers Punt with just attempting a registration, If the domain is a genuine good-un

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Sorry mate, it was me who have reg your domain at Cosmotown, this Kirtaner hacker gave me a tool that allow me to create a back door to any PC. :ROFL:
If someone is interested in this tool contact Kirtaner as he created it, with this tool you will be able to register domains before their Startup owners will realize, in this way you will sell their own idea with allot of $$$$$$ back to them. :ROFL:

•••
Upvote 0
Sorry mate, it was me who have reg your domain at Cosmotown, this Kirtaner hacker gave me a tool that allow me to create a back door to any PC. :ROFL:
If someone is interested in this tool contact Kirtaner as he created it, with this tool you will be able to register domains before their Startup owners will realize, in this way you will sell their own idea with allot of $$$$$$ back to them. :ROFL:
How's that domainer "black hat" fitting these days? :unsure: Thanks for the humor.

The original poster, of course, can be reassured that that possibility is not likely. Hopefully, there will be some equally excellent alternatives he can find instead..as long as the backdoor remains closed....

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
And what does the date of that registration show. I'm wondering why you have not included this information. My guess is that is probably quite a while ago. Preceding your attempted/failed registration by months if not years.

Those of us that have registered thousands of domains over the years are well aware that is a common problem. As mentioned a quick look at the Whois data will show it was never available in the first place. That should put your mind to rest that it was a genuine mistake at the registry level. It is disappointing but I can assure you the registration services have their backs covered in their T & C's .

just to add it has become worse over the last 5 years or so. And obviously it is with the best names. Its almost become a Gamblers Punt with just attempting a registration, If the domain is a genuine good-un
The registration took place immediately after receiving the payment invoice. The domain was available for registration in more than one platform, but after I registered the domain it became unavailable (taken) and was registered in the name of another person. We may have registered at the same time, but his request was processed faster.
Maybe this is what happened.

•••
Upvote 0
Look up the term "front runner" or "front running" Buy your names elsewhere or don't add domains for hours to an account to pay later.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back