IT.COM

discuss Let @x be a cautionary tale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick

Top Member
Impact
This is exactly why businesses shouldn't be run solely on social media handles. A domain name should be the FIRST destination for customers.

dmlOYq0.jpg

69wdD2w.jpg

1RD5akn.jpg

VUPlef8.jpg

LerkqBi.jpg

Rds7d5Q.jpg

BxJCsBd.jpg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Never use twitter or other social media...waste of time and gets suck into it

Twitter or whatever sh**&it is called will be gone ..like aol , myspace or others...
You keep changing the rules and making it harder to use...people will just go away.
That depends on what you are using it for. I personally had 8 million views on my YouTube channel content and earned 1000s of dollars on there. If it was just to advertise your product or service that’s a different matter, and you could get traffic from the second largest search engine, YouTube, or you could try to drive traffic directly to your website.

This argument that domainers should never use social media is sort of weird in my opinion.

Here’s my most viewed video on YouTube:

Last edited:
•••
•••
but you tell me your bank account number when you want me to pay you. You tell me your phone number when you want me to call you. You tell me your email address when you want an email from me. You also know my bank account number when you receive payment from me, my phone number when I call you, my email address when I send you the email you want from me. All of those are public. As your phone provider can't take over your phone number from you, websites can't take over your username. Username, bank account number, email address, domain name of a website, phone number, card number, full address of building/house/office, are public "integral part" of property which complete property, hence can not be separated from property. Username is an integral part.
Are you saying that registries are violating the law when they take back a domain name or reserve a name that they want to use or sell as a premium name or service?! What?! You better tell them.

•••
Are you saying that registries are violating the law when they take back a domain name or reserve a name that they want to use or sell as a premium name or service?! What?! You better tell them.

Anyone can't take over anything you own without your permission for their own use or profit, as long as you do nothing wrong. I don't say it would be illegal or legal. It would be wrong for sure. One exemption would be governments, they may take over your things forcefully under certain extraordinary situations but usually not for free of charge.

•••
Anyone can't take over anything you own without your permission for their own use or profit, as long as you do nothing wrong. I don't say it would be illegal or legal. It would be wrong for sure. One exemption would be governments, they may take over your things forcefully under certain extraordinary situations but usually not for free of charge.
He owns the site. YouTube did this too for certain usernames, they had users on YouTube.com/entertainment for example (I had that username at one time, I still have /gogg, a four letter username, and although I can’t get into my account, I have content on /wgxi) and other usernames, but for usernames like /movies I believe was taken over and YouTube is posting its own content on that url. Some users, you could still access it by going to YouTube.com/user/username, but they had assigned the /username url to another page. So don’t come here and tell me it can’t be done. Yes it may suck, but these site owners own the urls for their domain names.

•••
So many terrible analogies on this thread.

Can you provide an example where a registry commandeered an ACTIVE domain name with a website built on it?

An expired domain name or yet to be registered domain name with premium reg price is ENTIRELY different from a domain name purchased, owned and in use THEN snatched by the registrar or registry while still in use.

•••
He owns the site. YouTube did this too for certain usernames, they had users on YouTube.com/entertainment for example (I had that username at one time, I still have /gogg, a four letter username, and although I can’t get into my account, I have content on /wgxi) and other usernames, but for usernames like /movies I believe was taken over and YouTube is posting its own content on that url. Some users, you could still access it by going to YouTube.com/user/username, but they had assigned the /username url to another page. So don’t come here and tell me it can’t be done. Yes it may suck, but these site owners own the urls for their domain names.

url and username are not the same thing.

Can you provide an example where a registry commandeered an ACTIVE domain name with a website built on it?

An expired domain name or yet to be registered domain name with premium reg price is ENTIRELY different from a domain name purchased, owned and in use THEN snatched by the registrar or registry while still in use.

Agreed. Opposite arguments and examples are irrelevant, non-sense things. One person comes here to compare old websites which are no longer active. Other person comes here to compare url and username. They think site owners don't need any permission from users as they own everything created by users. If it was the case users would not be responsible for choosing illegal usernames, posting illegal content. Opposite arguments have no basic logic, cause-effect consideration, responsibility-authority balance.

Site owners own everything on their sites only if there is no registered users on the site and there is no user generated content. I do own and run such sites, have disabled comments as well. If you own such sites yes you can do anything with those sites.

•••

Yes, you are using so many terrible analogies.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Zuck deleted @THREADS account from Instagram. Don't know if the previous owner got paid
1691172277368.png

Doesn't matter which social media you're on, you don't own your user handle.

Last edited:
•••
I would be pissed too if they take away my handle, but in the end we don't own it indeed, thus its not really stolen.

Last edited:
•••
I would be pissed too if they take away my handle, but in the end we don't own it indeed.
He can do whatever damn thing he wants...it is his toy

Sooner than later, twitter or x will just die.

•••
He can do whatever damn thing he wants...it is his toy

Sooner than later, twitter or x will just die.
You really think it will die? I doubt it will be soon. But you know in the end everything will die. Maybe even NamePros, lets say in 100 years, maybe earlier.

Last edited:
•••
Zuck deleted @THREADS account from Instagram. Don't know if the previous owner got paid
Show attachment 244121
Doesn't matter which social media you're on, you don't own your user handle.
I agree, it doesnt matter which platform or who is the owner.This thread was getting too emotional. Even if Google were to seize premium gmail accounts handles, I would strongly disagree.

•••
I agree, it doesnt matter which platform or who is the owner.This thread was getting too emotional. Even if Google were to seize premium gmail accounts handles, I would strongly disagree.
My Gmail account is my last name.

•••
My Gmail account is my last name.

So? It’s probably a lot of other people’s’ last name too.

I get a lot of emails intended for other people named Berryhill though Gmail. I’ve got two Jenny Berryhills, another John, and a Jack.

•••
So? It’s probably a lot of other people’s’ last name too.

I get a lot of emails intended for other people named Berryhill though Gmail. I’ve got two Jenny Berryhills, another John, and a Jack.
I was early, in the time when I had to have an invite code to get an account, so I got a few usernames like Slabaugh. I get the same thing with that username. But it’s actually not as common a last name as you might think, mostly Amish people. But I do also get the same thing with Slabaugh.com and get emails intended for @slabaugh.co, an Amish guy in Indiana, apparently.

•••
Another one: @sports was taken as well

Avoid these if you're tweeting: Zuck, threads, bluesky,...
Your tweets won't get the same reach as your other tweets if you mention the names.

Check your Twitter analytics: https://analytics.twitter.com

•••
•••
You really think it will die? I doubt it will be soon. But you know in the end everything will die. Maybe even NamePros, lets say in 100 years, maybe earlier.
There are 2 ways to die

Suddenly
Or
Gradually

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
This is why domains are so important. Good luck to the folks relying on handles to operate businesses.
That why you own your own domain
Your own destiny
We are all giving away our content and personal data for free for them to use

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back