NameSilo

Modern SEO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
There used to be a time when SEO meant accumulating links to your site. What, you thought that was still the case? That's probably why you're spending so much time on SEO.

What they don't tell you

So let's just say for a moment that everything you know about SEO is a lie. Well, perhaps not a complete lie; it was true at one point in time, and might still be true to some extent. Why, then, are all these "lies" so well established as fact? Everyone knows you need backlinks.

Simply put, if everyone knew how SEO worked, then search engines would be ineffective. The people who need SEO are the people with irrelevant content--that's stretching it a bit, but you probably don't need SEO if you're running Facebook, for example. The people who want their content on top are, ipso facto, the ones with the least relevant content. So if established SEO worked, search engines wouldn't.

So they don't tell you how SEO really works. Conflict of interest, you see.

What they do tell you

If we take a look at what Google frequently says about SEO, they don't quite lie: they're just a bit misleading. Yes, backlinks are important, but not in the same way that you might expect. The importance that they often emphasize has long been deprecated. Why? People figured it out and abused it.

They do tell you one very important thing: the best thing that you can do in terms of SEO is not try to trick the search engine. This is the exact opposite of what everyone seems to think, even though it's well-established. Take a look in your browser's address bar: if this hasn't been plagiarized, and we haven't finished our upgrades yet, you're on a .html page. .html means static content, and this is most definitely not static. The vbSEO plugin that we use--which is no longer maintained, for obvious reasons--thinks it's a good idea to turn every thread into a .html page--or at least, make it look like it's doing that. This is not a good idea. It confuses search engines, which are used to typical web servers hosted by typical people who are being transparent about what they're doing. When a search engine sees that .html extension, it's going to say, "Great, this content is only going to change rarely; I'll crawl this much less often than the .php pages." Obviously, this is not what we want. Waste of time and effort on all accounts.

That was a pretty intuitive example. Some of the other no-nos might surprise you. Don't try to hide keywords: Google knows what's going on. Got a backlink section? Google's going to see that as a sign of trouble. White text on white background? Nice try.

if you're considering using traditional SEO techniques, you are probably better off doing absolutely nothing. Seriously.

Blackhat

I classify blackhat SEO as the use of abnormal behavior or content to attempt to increase search engine rankings. This is a very broad definition of blackhat. NP Clicks falls under it. So do backlinks. Why do I take on this definition? Because this is Google's definition. Use it, and you will be severely penalized.

Let me give you an intuitive example. Bounce rate is quite important. Visitor count... not so much. We're looking for relevance, not popularity. If most of your visitors only view one page, your search rankings will drop. If your bounce rate is higher than 25-30%, you forfeit most SEO advantages. Bouncing has the greatest impact of any user behavior. Downvotes weigh more than upvotes. A lot more.

The worst kind of bounce is a search result bounce. This is when a user clicks your link in the search results, doesn't like what they see, and hits the back button. A script notifies Google of this event. If enough users do it, you'll effectively be blacklisted for corresponding search phrases. The algorithm is most likely based on a complex balance between ratio and absolute count, and is probably pseudo-exponential.

Backlinks

...are pointless. The model is out of date. Far too many people stubbornly swear by it.

For one, it's too easy to manipulate. Search engines have no guarantee that web site owner aren't tampering with the system--in fact, they're guaranteed that people are tampering with the system. Google places almost no weight on links. There are hundreds of sources of them saying otherwise. It's all nonsense. They'd have to be crazy to do it.

Secondly, link count is not indicative of relevance. It holds little association with keywords, aside from marking potentially related sites. If you use a browser plugin to observe all of the links on a web site, you'll see that most are unrelated to the general subject of the subject site. It's useless information on today's Internet.

However

Stockpiling backlinks will still hurt your rank. You have nothing to gain and plenty to lose. If Google thinks you are playing games with links, it'll be a demerit on your record.

What they don't want you to know

You can't beat the system, but you can play along.

1. Publish interactive content. Informative content is nice, but it leads to high bounce rates. SaaS (Software as a Service) applications work great. You can find plenty available for free. Forums are also a classic example. Blogs are a bad choice for SEO.
  2. Real users are the best way to increase your rank. You'll need to find some way to get users other than appearing in search results, as that alone isn't enough. Advertising works, but it's generally too expensive for the average domainer. At lower prices it doesn't pay for itself.
  3. Don't use gimmicks to trick users into joining. You want loyal users. Google knows the difference.
  4. Format your code well, without syntax error or deprecated tags. Use XHTML 1.1 with HTML 5 features. Choose XHTML over HTML when you have the choice. If you think any of these have existed in the past decade, you're doing it wrong: <center>, <font>, <i>, <b>, <marquee>, <blink>
  5. Use the new HTML 5/XHTML 1.1 sectioning elements. Search engines will understand them and provide extra features. For example, put your navigation in <nav>.
  6. Use <h#> for logical headers, not to style content.
  7. Don't use <meta> tags to set keywords or descriptions. Let the search engines handle that.
  8. Always use a descriptive <title> tag, and make sure that your favicon is named /favicon.ico, even if you have a <link> tag for it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I moved this thread to the correct section.

I don't agree with everything you've posted, but I do agree that it is important to work with Google and not against it. There is, however, nothing wrong with ensuring you tailor your website to both your users and the search engines. Most people have issues when they go down one of these two routes without taking the other into account at all.

•••
Totally Agreed with this topic. I am going to bookmark it. Thanks for such great information.

•••
First, I think this post is an excellent one, but I have some disagreements with you on the issue of back-links. It seems like you suggest that back-link is no longer important nowadays.

..are pointless. The model is out of date. Far too many people stubbornly swear by it.

I don't think so. I think that search engines can take step to deal with people that are gaming the system. That does not necessarily mean that back-link is no longer relevant in search engine optimization.

•••
thanks for your information. It will help me to do seo for my site.

•••
Post is really good but one point "back links are pointless". I do not think that this is true.

•••
The questions in my mind raise that if the back links do not have worth then how a website would automatically gain good reputation? How they would get in top position?

•••
Thanks for sharing this information.

•••
Thanks for sharing this valuable information. this help me lot to create Back-links by SEO.

•••
Thanks for your information. :)

•••
I am so glad and so happy and so ecstatic that you all are thanking the OP for this information.

Is this all you do?
Just say, wow great information.
Will bookmark, will do this and do that.
So happy I found this post so I can do something.

And so forth.

•••
Backlinks still have value - it is the single factor that initially made Google a success, and all forms of "voting" help them decide what should rank well.

Perhaps more than anything, Google have worked on telling if backlinks are genuine or not. If you try any non-natural linking strategies, it probably will do you harm.

The answer is easy - make your content/product so great/interesting/compelling that people out there choose to share it and link to it and use it.

-------

BTW, as a budding screenwriter I asked my tutor how I could stop a studio from just stealing an idea from a script I send them. His answer: make it so great that they will play ball because they want your next script as well.

•••
Black Hat SEO is effective, but not for long, because you'll get your website penalized.

•••
  1. Format your code well, without syntax error or deprecated tags. Use XHTML 1.1 with HTML 5 features. Choose XHTML over HTML when you have the choice. If you think any of these have existed in the past decade, you're doing it wrong: <center>, <font>, <i>, <b>, <marquee>, <blink>
That is something that confuses me about Google. On blogger,com (which I believe Google still owns and there are millions of people who use their free templates), the <center>, <i>, <b> are still used....

•••
Google actually doesn't care about which version of (x)HTML you use or if it validates as long as they can make sense of it. Their own pages don't validate. Legacy HTML code is ok if they can read it.
Bing likes to see proper semantic use of markup

•••
From my tests, Google definitely favors newer code, especially varieties with hinting for search engines. The difference isn't dramatic, but it's significant enough to warrant the extra time and money required to develop a modern site. If you look at our source code, you'll see that we mark parts of our page as representing people, posts, etc. in a way that Google and Bing can understand.

<i> and <b> were recently added back to HTML 5, albeit with new definitions. I'm pretty sure <center> is gone for good.

•••
Schema? They like schema. And can make you more noticeable in the results.
They also like responsive (or claim to).
Ive never done tests on html5 vs XHTML vs html4.0 or lower, I just change with the times, as long as I'm not locking out a significant % of older browsers. I have to say that I still have one ancient embarrassingly ugly table-based site which they love (for unfathomable reasons).

Bing has always been pickier about "correct" markup though. Put > 1 H1 tag in a page and they get snitty.

Center should be long gone. Blink and marqee had to die!

Last edited:
•••
Everyone knows you need backlinks.

Simply put, if everyone knew how SEO worked, then search engines would be ineffective.

Well not exactly. If you see this as a popularity contest, everyone knows the way to be popular is to go to social events. Simple, everone can do it. Except you need the invites. And to get A-list invites you need the right friends.

So not everyone can just get tons of links to their site, especially from high-ranking sites.

•••
Schema? They like schema. And can make you more noticeable in the results.
They also like responsive (or claim to).
Ive never done tests on html5 vs XHTML vs html4.0 or lower, I just change with the times, as long as I'm not locking out a significant % of older browsers. I have to say that I still have one ancient embarrassingly ugly table-based site which they love (for unfathomable reasons).

Bing has always been pickier about "correct" markup though. Put > 1 H1 tag in a page and they get snitty.

Center should be long gone. Blink and marqee had to die!

There should typically be more than one h1 tag on a page; h# tags are normally for section headers, not page titles, though h1 is often an exception in practice. If you have a header tag as a direct child of body, they can usually figure out what the subject is from that. Even still, they tend to prioritize the title tag in head for that sort of information.

They don't seem to favor XHTML over HTML, as long as it meets a recent spec.

•••
Thanks for your informations :)
Will bookmark to help backlinks my SEO!

Actually - reading up .. I was like "center" has gone? WTF? Then I realized you mean <center> and all was right again.

Isn't Bing liking correct markup ironic? :)

•••

Actually - reading up .. I was like "center" has gone? WTF? Then I realized you mean <center> and all was right again.

Isn't Bing liking correct markup ironic? :)

Very ironic--though, these days, IE isn't all that bad. Microsoft even has a campaign to kill old versions of IE.

align="center" is also gone. ;)

•••
There should typically be more than one h1 tag on a page; h# tags are normally for section headers, not page titles, though h1 is often an exception in practice. If you have a header tag as a direct child of body, they can usually figure out what the subject is from that. Even still, they tend to prioritize the title tag in head for that sort of information.

Title tags carry much, MUCH more weight for rankings than H*! Bing has always been picky about syntax, Google not so much. I'm guessing Bing has that "rule" because of the legacy use of that tag - millions of sites aren't going to update to html5 and sections overnight.

BTW, while neither keyword or description affects rankings, description can INDIRECTLY affect rankings by influencing your CTR, which does have some bearing in Google. (Fishkin did an "experiment" on this recently ... which was kind of amusing since its been common knowledge for years) Huge factor? Of course not, but If they put you on page 1, you'd better have the CTR (comparable to performance of other sites in the same niche in that slot) to justify it or you'll lose your spot. Left to their own devices, Google's description in the snippet is usually crap. They may not always use yours, but if they do its to your advantage to have something ready which is likely to get a click.

Xhtml vs html - Ian Hickson did a writeup on the various drawbacks to xhtml a while back - haven't revisited it in a while, but agreed with it at the time.

While I'm on a roll here :) - bounce rate - "plain" bounce rate they show you in analytics isn't as useful as adjusted bounce rate, which factors in time on page. It's perfectly OK for a visitor to click through and find what they're looking for on that first page - they consume the content, they're happy, you won't get dinged for that. If they click through, quickly click back and try another result, not so much. You can track ABR by adding a line to your analytics tracking code.

LOL!

IE has come a long way from the hot mess it once was. IE6 ranks right up there with Netscape4.

Last edited:
•••
I'm fairly certain that if a user clicks your link in Google search results, looks at the page, and quickly hits the back button, Google will count it against your site. It's an effective way for them to measure actual relevance. Likewise, if users visit your site and don't come back, your ranking will benefit. I suspect they started doing this around the time they implemented aggressive search result click tracking.

•••
I'm fairly certain that if a user clicks your link in Google search results, looks at the page, and quickly hits the back button, Google will count it against your site.

The key concept is QUICKLY. "Vanilla" bounce rate doesn't take time-on-page into account (just reflects the visitors who only viewed one page). Your actual "detrimental" bounce rate may not be as bad as what the numbers would indicate. If you set up ABR, you'll get a better picture of where you stand.

Especially true if you rank for specific product name, how-to's, company contact info and the like, where the query can easily be satisfied by the landing page.

Last edited:
•••
align="center" is also gone. ;)

You still have to have the word "center" somewhere .. I assume text-align:center is ok?
I think CMS and templates force you to have all your presentation in CSS these days... but if I read one more "Why CSS sucks" article I'm going to scream. I can't wait until 2016 when we rewrite everything prior to the 2018 Internet upgrade that precedes the 2020 "Why you should learn the new Semantic Thingy Web Of Everything Platform"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back