Domain Empire

domains Monte Cahn Partners to Create Dot Hip Hop Extension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
The partnership consists of Cahn Enterprises, Inc. (Monte Cahn), JJN Solutions, LLC (Jeffrey Neuman), and Digital Asset Monetary Network (“DigitalAMN”) (Ajene Watson).

Monte brings a wealth of talent and years of experience to Dot Hip Hop, LLC. He is the founder and former CEO of the ICANN Accredited Registrar Moniker.com, former President of SnapNames.com and former Sr. VP of DomainSponsor.com. Monte pioneered the domain name aftermarket where domain names are traded, bought and sold, created the first domain live and online auction platform, developed whois privacy, and escrow/appraisal services. Monte Cahn is currently the President/Director of RightOfTheDot, LLC which specializes in premium domain name and digital asset sales, brokerage, consulting, and auctions. RightOfTheDot is also a leader in consulting for businesses and individuals seeking to establish and manage new gTLDs.

Jeffrey Neuman, the Founder and CEO of JJN Solutions, is a distinguished Internet, IP and Entertainment Attorney, who has been actively involved in the domain name industry for nearly 25 years. He was involved in the original creation of ICANN, the development of the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) and has chaired a number of Working Groups and committees within the ICANN Community, including those involving the administration, operation and implementation of gTLD Registries and Registrars. Before forming JJN Solutions, he served as an executive at Com Laude, one of the leading corporate domain name registrars, responsible for oversight over all of its business in North America. Prior to that, Jeff spent 15 years as a Vice President at Neustar, Inc. initially responsible for overseeing all legal and policy aspects of its Enterprise Services division, and then was promoted to lead Neustar’s domain name registry business during the years of the largest expansion of the Internet domain name space.

New to the Domain Name space is Ajene Watson, co-founder and CEO of DigitalAMN, a company focused on meeting the economic and educational needs of the underserved within the financial markets and entrepreneurship. A Bronx native (the birthplace of Hip Hop), Ajene is an early-stage investor and business manager-development consultant with 20 years of experience in the financial markets. He also has an entertainment background and brings a wealth of knowledge and contacts from the Hip Hop community.

Scott Pruitt of RightOfTheDot also joins the team as the Director of Marketing. Scott has worked with Monte for several years promoting RightOfTheDot’s live and online digital asset auctions and comes with 9 years of domain registrar marketing experience having worked for Web.com and NameJet.

read more

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Which might pull in a whole lot of Instagram users, for a free service, but isn't going to sell a .hiphop domain.
Agreeing with you. Artist know their audience better than anyone

Did you know that Justin Bieber promoted .tattoo?

http://domainincite.com/16999-bieber-plug-has-no-impact-on-tattoo-sales

A Facebook update reading simply “My Tumblr is http://joker.tattoo” has been “liked” over 230,000 times and shared almost 2,500 times by the over 70 million people following him on the platform.

Justin Bieber

On Twitter, where Bieber has 52.6 million followers, his identical tweet was retweeted over 50,000 times and favorited close to 60,000 times.

The “news” was even picked up by MTV, which gently ribbed the musician for apparently (don’t ask me, I’m 37) not understanding that Tumblr isn’t just for “selfies”.

But the widespread publicity for a .tattoo name had no impact whatsoever on .tattoo sales, judging by zone files.
The Uniregistry TLD hasn’t grown by more than one name per day since Bieber’s tweet.

One June 27 the .tattoo zone file had 6,312 names in it, today it has 6,316.

----------------

Hey, if you want Justin Bieber's used .tattoo domain name, have at it. It was never renewed after being used for a one-off promotion that didn't result in jack squat. There are now only 2300 .tattoo domain names.

I'm old enough to remember Ashton Kutcher making news with 1 million twitter followers.

Social media provides an easy way for artist to keep in touch with their fans, fewer headaches, so it makes sense.

•••
Thanks for sharing the news @Lox . The title is somewhat misleading, though....

Thanks Bob!
You'll have to wait a little longer before they release/announce an "create" update & more ...

Regards

Last edited:
•••
for the TLD that they won in the UNR TLDs auction.

Minor correction - the TLD did not sell in the auction.

For whatever reason, it failed to sell in the auction. Apparently Monte was aware of that and somehow roped Jeff Neuman and his contact into buying it apart from the auction.

ICANN has not approved transfer of the TLD because ICANN has raised objections to the manner in which UNR advertised them as property, included NFTs, and generally acted as if TLD delegations are on offer like a late night cable TV ad by the late, great Don Lapre.

More info about the controversy is posted at sites that namepros may or may not allow to be linked.

•••
Tupac does not need any .hiphop shit.

Last edited:
•••
.hiphop needs Pac
Pac does not need .hiphop

•••
•••
.tiktok will do better than .hiphop

•••
.pippop is also available

•••
This industry is getting more and more ridiculous and manipulated by the day.

•••
A rhyme for the time;

Oh oh we got the dot-hip-hop
you don't stop, better watch out.
Cause if the TLD don't get big regging,
it will be a fall back
on the classics we be hedging.
And what could be better,
than a typo or a hyphen..
especially when it lands
to a page with a "buy one".

Ok fine, so I'll stick with domaining. Here's a beat I just couldn't meet:

•••
Minor correction - the TLD did not sell in the auction.

For whatever reason, it failed to sell in the auction. Apparently Monte was aware of that and somehow roped Jeff Neuman and his contact into buying it apart from the auction.

ICANN has not approved transfer of the TLD because ICANN has raised objections to the manner in which UNR advertised them as property, included NFTs, and generally acted as if TLD delegations are on offer like a late night cable TV ad by the late, great Don Lapre.

More info about the controversy is posted at sites that namepros may or may not allow to be linked.

https://archive.li/og1Z2#selection-1003.0-1169.139

Andrew Allemann – Dec 31, 2021 12:21 PM

Jeff,
I’m a bit confused and hope you can clear something up. UNR said all 23 of its domains sold in the auction, yet you’ve commented that this transaction was outside of the auction. Did you buy it from the group that was the winning bidder in the auction, or did the sale at UNR fall through?

Jeff Neuman – Dec 31, 2021 1:17 PM

Andrew,
If UNR stated in a press release that all 23 of the strings sold in an auction, then that was incorrect. The .hiphop TLD was negotiated directly with UNR outside of the auction process, and I believe well after the auctions for the 22 other strings were completed (though I am not 100% sure of that).
We have no idea when the .hiphop TLD was pulled from the auction process. I dont know if it was pulled before the auction process started or whether it was pulled because no one bid on it. We never asked and it never mattered to us.

And we have intentionally not asked about the 22 other strings and what happened to them at auction because it didnt apply to us. We never even saw the marketing UNR did around the auctions because again it never applied to us.

All of the information about the UNR auctions I learned from ICANN’s questions to us and general public comment well after we filed out Assignment Request. And we preferred it that way. We wanted to ensure that our application was considered separate and apart from the other 22. The less we knew about them, the better from our perspective.

All we know about is our one transaction which was negotiated by me outside of any auction process..
I hope that helps.

Andrew Allemann – Jan 2, 2022 5:19 PM

Thanks for clarifying. UNR told me all of the domains sold in the auction, so I have to assume that a transaction for .hiphop fell through.

Related news prior to above comments:

Jan 28, 2021:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...auction-event-on-april-28-2021-301217676.html

The event will consist of separate no-reserve auctions for each of the 23 assets, giving bidders the flexibility to only acquire the Top Level Domains that fit their strategies or budgets. To give bidders complete confidence in this fully-transparent event, the auctions will be conducted by industry-leader Innovative Auctions, who has consistently proven itself as the de facto clearinghouse for this asset class, and the founders of UNR will not be bidding.

May 5, 2021: https://domainnamewire.com/2021/05/05/frank-schilling-new-tld-auction-grosses-more-than-40-millon/ @DomainNameWire

Frank Schilling’s UNR business sold 23 top level domains in auctions last week, grossing more than $40 million.

The company says that 17 bidders deposited money to participate in the auctions, and more than 10 different bidders won the top level domains.
Six of the winning bidders are new to the space and will be operating a new top level domain for the first time.

While identities of the winners have not been disclosed, the company says that established registries, investment firms, blockchain companies, and high net-worth individuals won auctions.

Dec 21, 2021: https://domainnamewire.com/2021/12/21/nfts-trip-up-uniregistrys-top-level-domain-auctions/

Frank Schilling’s top level domain company UNR auctioned its 23 top level domain names at the end of April, grossing more than $40 million. To date, none of the TLDs have transferred to the winning bidders.

The holdup is due to what seemed like a marketing stunt to take advantage of the popularity of NFTs.

Prior to the sale, UNR created NFTs connected to Ethereum Name Service for each of the top level domains and said the winners of the auctions would also get an NFT. In a press release, it wrote:

Last edited:
•••
The less we knew about them, the better from our perspective.

To put that another way, Jeff is sounding as if he intentionally remained ignorant of whatever may have transpired in the auction.

So if there was a bidder in the .hiphop auction, and they are upset about the way the auction was handled or if they believe they won the auction and are entitled to the TLD, then Jeff and his group would have no way of knowing about that and could not, for example, make any warranty that they were the sole assignee from UNR.

That would be like me saying "I bought my house from the guy who was in it previously. I have no idea whether he sold it to anyone else before me."

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for all the background. I might just be blind, but find it hard to see what they see in .hiphop.

I think the only model that might work well is to direct promote it and get several well known .hiphop artists on board and using it in a significant way. Of course I know almost nothing about .hiphop (ok the almost in preceding is not necessary).

This from ICANN helped me see a little better the concern re promotion of property (even though it is mainly a response on why they are not fast tracking a decision as requested). That aspects, whether owning a registry is like owning extension as property, seems a really important one in general for our community.

https://www.icann.org/en/blogs/deta...cesses-for-a-safe-secure-internet-5-1-2022-en

Bob

•••
Give me a beat
Aww Yeah
Umm Nah

Mic Drop

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back