Domain Empire

information More Chinese TLDs get Chinese approval

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
After a long wait, two Chinese internationalized domain names have been accredited by China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT).
TLD Registry’s .在线 (Dot Chinese Online) and .中文网 (Dot Chinese Website) received the accreditation on February 10.
It appears that Top Level Design’s .Ink domain name has also received MIIT approval...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
okay! Finally! I don't get it. those Chinese IDN extensions took longer than .club? and .top? and .xyz? been waiting for these. I wonder what this means now for domains with these extensions? increased value or nothing?

•••
Interesting extensions..
TLD Registry’s .在线 (Dot Chinese Online) and .中文网 (Dot Chinese Website) received the accreditation on February 10.

•••
nice. but what does that "mean" for domains with such extensions?

•••
Think because of this...

The accreditation means that Chinese residents can register the domain names and host them in mainland China. Previously, the domains could not be hosted in China. Chinese citizens must obtain an Internet Content Provider (ICP) license from MIIT in order to host the domains in China.

•••
and what about the .china (in idn) version (.中国)? when will that be accredited?

I don't get this at all. These extensions ARE from China yes? I mean the company who created these extension have to be from China? yes?? is this why not much sales for such domains with these extensions? because they have not been accredited?

or simply not interest by Chinese? at least that's what I've heard from 4.cn brokers.

will this accreditation signal a change? will this a demand for such domains with these extensions?

•••
I may misunderstood the article but think it is important because those are the only two approved extension that you can host in mainland China. .government approved?

•••
and what about the .china (in idn) version (.中国)? when will that be accredited?

I don't get this at all. These extensions ARE from China yes? I mean the company who created these extension have to be from China? yes?? is this why not much sales for such domains with these extensions? because they have not been accredited?

or simply not interest by Chinese? at least that's what I've heard from 4.cn brokers.

will this accreditation signal a change? will this a demand for such domains with these extensions?

About the companies being Chinese... If I'm not completely mistaken, at least one of those companies is from Finland (don't remember which one).

Edit: Ah, same company for Chinese Website and Chinese Online, TLD Registry. Still, from Finland, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
•••
"and what about the .china (in idn) version (.中国)? when will that be accredited"

.中国 is simply the CNNIC version of .cn and has been around a long time. Was bundled with .cn until a couple of years ago when they were split, ostensibly to make more money for CNNIC and to try to establish .中国 on it's own.

All that said there has been little or no take up of IDN in China where they prefer short ascii .cn,.com, numbers and Pinyin.

•••
"and what about the .china (in idn) version (.中国)? when will that be accredited"

.中国 is simply the CNNIC version of .cn and has been around a long time. Was bundled with .cn until a couple of years ago when they were split, ostensibly to make more money for CNNIC and to try to establish .中国 on it's own.

All that said there has been little or no take up of IDN in China where they prefer short ascii .cn,.com, numbers and Pinyin.

yup exactly what I thought. all that bs over at Allegravita about .idn extension domains selling for big money. I don't know anymore probably just shilling.

4.cn brokers tell the real truth. as they have no interest in even daring to try and sell .idn domains for potential customers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back