mtrl.xyz - seeking feedback and appraisal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantic India

Established Member
Impact
Hi, im looking for appraisal value and possible feedback for this new project i built mtrl.xyz. its an advanced url shortener based on material design. built on php and mysql with functioning backend.

http://mtrl.xyz/

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is sharp and to the point, no frills, but no offence either :)

MAIN PAGE
The form field to enter a URL is not obviously a form field. This is probs personal preference, and I understood where to type, but I design and dev websites. Maybe others might struggle to see/find where to type.

There is no text on the main page. Nothing for visitors to know what you do or offer, or my options etc
Also lack of text of course hurts SEO and Google loving the site. Be brief, as people will likely just want the goods (the url shortener form field), but something is needed.

Usage: I Don't know what is required in the "shortener" form field to make my request valid as you don't tell me how to use it. When I typed some text into the URL shorten field, I just used letters, not "http://" or whatever, and the site took me to another page and told me "wrong" with a load of stats and text.

1) Don't take me away from a page I have to use unless what I typed can be used
2) Even taking me away from the page is ok if you give me a chance to retype, but I have to navigate back - given the vast competition you have, people will just frown and go elsewhere. Internet people are impatient - make your system very easy to use
3) The blurb on the page I am taken to is meaningless when what I typed was not adequate (the site diagnostics is null, no screenshot, etc). This is a waste of users time looking around to see what's there and if any of it is what they want, plus it's a waste of your site's resources. Just return an error popup in the first page "invalid - see above usage notes" and above the URL shortener form field tell people what they need to enter. Heck, I don't even know if you want http:// or just www ;)

CONTACT FORM
Seems ok, error messages returned are ok, although small thing - when I enter text in the email address field, the message is "enter email address" - would suggest changing to "Enter valid email address", or "Not a valid email address" etc.

When I clicked send with all the fields completed correctly (as far as I believe), I have no idea if you received the email or if the form worked as nothing happened other than an empty red bar appeared at the very top.

FOOTER LINKS
When I hover they don't change - light up, different colour or shade, underline, etc. Not a biggie, as people are used to identifying links now, but it's prudent to make links change on hover, even if subtle.

The "Tools" link showing everything you offer is fine, but I suggest a separate footer link for your "developer API" - it looks good. Athough do make sure you have limits in place before, as people could spam the crap out of it, and your site ends up with a DOS. 1 link per 20 seconds (or so) should be enough for anyone)

TERMS OF SERVICE
On your "FAQ" page you state "Once created, it will stay forever in our system." you should have a disclaimer for that in your TOS, something like "unless disk failure, business or website ceases, etc". Same with other things you "promise" :)

PRIVACY POLICY
"We will not use or share your information with anyone except as described in this Privacy Policy." But you do not mention how you use my info. In fact you state after that: "While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you." But do not clearly state something like "But we won't sell it to someone else" etc.

Disclaimer
"We are not affiliated with any of the services, websites, links processed through our website or any of its subsidiaries in the US or other countries. All copyright goes to their respective owners."
This needs to be more specific, such as "the services on the results page - AVG Thread Labs etc". As it stands, it reads like there could be all sorts of 3rd party things around your site, potentially bad things, but you take no responsibility. You site should be "clean, safe, free of bad thing, go use it mr/mrs user and enjoy" etc :)

NAVIGATION
Just a little thing, FYI, no matter what page I'm on (other than "contact") the "Create" nav button is highlighted. So eg when on "Tools" page "Create" is highlighted at the top as if I'm there.

SHORTNER
It should work, very well, as it's the only thing you offer. The first thing I did was a problem. I tried to shorten your domain (www.mtrl.xyz) and the returned "shortnened URL" was "longer":
www.mtrl.xyz
http://mtrl.xyz/epfNP

Without http or www the returned URL is 6 chars longer. Perhaps state "sorry we couldn't shorten this" but here';s the URL anyway.
And on the "Create" page, mention something like the shortener will only be affective for longer domain names. You are starting with a 6 char disadvantage from your slash and identifier.
Just FYIs really :)

META KEYWORDS
"url shortener, shorten url, no_url_shorteners, no_url_shorteners, short url, shorten urls"
Why do you list other sites/businesses in your keywords? Keywords are not so important, but even if they were, your site is not going to compete if you try to state "we are no_url_shorteners". These should be keywords for your site.

OVERALL
I think it's a nice, clean looking site. Easy to navigate, and the above mentioned points are just small tweaks really (although will resolve large-ish issues).

Hope that helps - and remember this is just my opinion :)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back