Domain Empire

status-monitor Multiple threads for the same topic

Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I've noticed a trend that has become more and more popular. Someone will post a popular post, a news article, a whatever, and then someone else immediately creates an alternate thread on the same thing. This causes segmentation and time could be better spent in the primary thread. There seem to be a handful of people who do this, habitually. Maybe I'm the only one bothered by this but sound off if you feel the same way.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
agreed!

or let's all get back to draw table and the feedback idea for Eric that was posted months ago in feedback forum, to allow people the option to ignore entire threads.. to never seem them around anywhere again! in same way they ignore members. I think there were many people who liked this. hopefully enough to make it work. to me this is not only about repeated threads, which probably are always bound to happen.. but simply about being able to eliminate from my visual field things I have zero interest in, forever... ie: to ignore them from the visual field on the right hand sections of np screen (popular this week, new replies.. etc..), or thorugh any other method of accessing np threads. just a carbon copy of ignore member, but applied to threads.
ty.

•••
One thread on Travel Agency is enough

There two threads currently on frank-schilling-state-of-new-tlds one in news the other in gTLD Discussion

Look around a little bit before opening a new thread

•••
I've noticed a trend that has become more and more popular. Someone will post a popular post, a news article, a whatever...

I think you should stop there as that's annoying enough - the purpose of a forum is to discuss within the forum and not send people off onto other people's blogs and news. Exception would be if it's in the "Industry News" section which would make sense as a discussion point. Even then I think the poster should justify why it's relevant and not just link to "Domain King sat on his porcelain throne and thought up a new business plan", or
"Frank Schilling says he likes very much the things he is selling".... or the "Unknown people setup new Brandable site"... "Domainer says he's a genius and has words to prove it!"... or "Random name sells for lots of money!"

If I cared about what Sherpa, the Daddy Shane, or other people were saying I'd read their blog, site.

•••
I think you should stop there as that's annoying enough - the purpose of a forum is to discuss within the forum and not send people off onto other people's blogs and news. Exception would be if it's in the "Industry News" section which would make sense as a discussion point. Even then I think the poster should justify why it's relevant and not just link to "Domain King sat on his porcelain throne and thought up a new business plan", or
"Frank Schilling says he likes very much the things he is selling".... or the "Unknown people setup new Brandable site"... "Domainer says he's a genius and has words to prove it!"... or "Random name sells for lots of money!"

If I cared about what Sherpa, the Daddy Shane, or other people were saying I'd read their blog, site.

Sometimes your wording makes me smile.

•••
I actually flagged the Schilling one yesterday that had multiple posts on it and a couple of days ago, was talking about the same stuff - https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-should-namepros-add.920208/page-4#post-5371235

"From starting threads on topics where there is already a thread, from linking out to sites that steal content from other sites (one I pointed out and you edited to link to original source) from linking out to sites I've never heard of that are not really articles, but ads dressed up as articles."

My belief is they have somebody on staff or paying somebody for "content curation" which is basically going to domaining.com and other places and picking stuff to link out to from here. I don't think they check if it's already been posted.

•••
One thread on Travel Agency is enough

There two threads currently on frank-schilling-state-of-new-tlds one in news the other in gTLD Discussion

Look around a little bit before opening a new thread
I plead guilty as charged, your honour and throw myself on the mercy of the court.

•••
Please report any duplicate threads with a link to the original as well. We'll close all of them except one to keep the discussion in a single thread.

However, sometimes the topics are similar but different enough that we will keep them all open. There is a lot of overlap in domain discussion topics:
  • Does the topic "LLLL.com Chips" belong under Short Discussion or Chinese Discussion? It fits both descriptions.
  • Does a similar question phrased for newbies to answer differ enough from the same question asked for everyone to answer? Same question but different perspectives.
  • And so on.
If it could go either way, then we'll typically leave them all open. If they are obvious duplicates, then we'll close them all except one on the topic.

Thanks for helping by reporting when you see it.

•••
  • Does the topic "LLLL.com Chips" belong under Short Discussion or Chinese Discussion? It fits both descriptions

I wish it was a short discussion :)

•••
I wish it was a short discussion :)
Says the guy who has posted nearly 11,000 messages. You love discussion:)

•••
Please report any duplicate threads with a link to the original as well. We'll close all of them except one to keep the discussion in a single thread.

However, sometimes the topics are similar but different enough that we will keep them all open. There is a lot of overlap in domain discussion topics:
  • Does the topic "LLLL.com Chips" belong under Short Discussion or Chinese Discussion? It fits both descriptions.
  • Does a similar question phrased for newbies to answer differ enough from the same question asked for everyone to answer? Same question but different perspectives.
  • And so on.
If it could go either way, then we'll typically leave them all open. If they are obvious duplicates, then we'll close them all except one on the topic.

Thanks for helping by reporting when you see it.

You had to close another one - https://www.namepros.com/threads/is-china-bullish-on-llll-in-domain-names.927877/

Because you already had this one -
https://www.namepros.com/threads/is-china-invading-llll-in-domain-names.927770/#post-5376706

Linking to same blog. So it's like reporting staff to other staff members. Why not just get all the staff on the same page, it would save everybody time, less dupe content etc.

•••
I was told by an anonymous mod when I reported a thread, that the thread was okay because the other threads on the save thing were not official threads.
Did not know such a thing existed here.
So how do I make a thread of mine official???

•••
You had to close another one
Some members don't realize that using the search feature while inside a forum only searches that particular forum (instead of the entire site), which can cause this to happen. Whenever it happens, we inform all members involved to hopefully avoid it in the future. But you know, humans are humans, and mistakes are inevitable. ;)

I was told by an anonymous mod when I reported a thread, that the thread was okay because the other threads on the save thing were not official threads.
That's incorrect. They were mistaken. Sorry about that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back