IT.COM

advice SquadHelp or BrandBucket or Sedo?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I have spent the past 3 years working with someone on selling some names I hold. They are premium names, and based on potential return, I would rather give up some commission than to miss out on a big sale. We sold a few names, although for quite a bit less than I had hoped.

Our contract ended so I am going to attempt to list and sell the names on my own.

Notes:

- 3 of the domains are short popular one word dictionary (.io) domains. (think for example: Bear dot io - but not that name). (All the names have a GoDaddy valuation of low to mid five figures or more - even though I know it holds no true meaning).
- 1 domain is a .com domain that people are like "oh wow, you got that name"
- Another domain is a .com (short one word) that used to be a very popular company long ago.

Since this will be my first attempt at marketing these by myself, I am unsure where to start.

Does anyone have advice on whether I should start with SquadHelp or BrandBucket or Sedo?

Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have spent the past 3 years working with someone on selling some names I hold. They are premium names, and based on potential return, I would rather give up some commission than to miss out on a big sale. We sold a few names, although for quite a bit less than I had hoped.

Our contract ended so I am going to attempt to list and sell the names on my own.

Notes:

- 3 of the domains are short popular one word dictionary (.io) domains. (think for example: Bear dot io - but not that name). (All the names have a GoDaddy valuation of low to mid five figures or more - even though I know it holds no true meaning).
- Another domain is a .com (short one word) that used to be a very popular company long ago.

Since this will be my first attempt at marketing these by myself, I am unsure where to start.

Does anyone have advice on whether I should start with SquadHelp or BrandBucket or Sedo?

Thanks in advance!

With Premium names like this - I'd contact @margotb directly (CEO of BrandBucket) and see what commission they'd charge for a listing. Hard to believe they'd demand 30% for ultra Premium names. You could also try to contact Darpan (CEO of SquadHelp directly too). However, I'd start with BrandBucket if it were me.

Alternatively you could hire a broker. Mark at DomainHoldings is one such broker. I could PM you his email and number if you're interested.

•••
With Premium names like this - I'd contact @margotb directly (CEO of BrandBucket) and see what commission they'd charge for a listing. Hard to believe they'd demand 30% for ultra Premium names. You could also try to contact Darpan (CEO of SquadHelp directly too). However, I'd start with BrandBucket if it were me.

Alternatively you could hire a broker. Mark at DomainHoldings is one such broker. I could PM you his email and number if you're interested.
Yes! Please send me his info!

•••
Hard to believe they'd demand 30% for ultra Premium names.

They don't.

Per BrandBucket.com:

30% for names below $10,000 USD

25% for names between $10,000 USD and $49,999 USD

20% for names between $50,000 USD and $99,999 USD

15% for names above $100,000 USD

Per SquadHelp.com:

Below $2499: 30% (Submission with Coins), 35% (Submission without Coins)

$2500 to $4999: 30%

$5000 to $50K: 25%

$50K to $75K: 20%

Above $75K: 15%

I'd start with BrandBucket if it were me.

I agree.

But if you aren't satisfied with the recommended BrandBucket price, SquadHelp tends to offer sellers more pricing flexibility. Both have appeal processes if you disagree with pricing.

Both BB and SH allow you to list your domain simultaneously on AfterNic. I'd strongly recommend listing on afternic AND BB or SH. If your BB domain sells on afternic, you pay BB 10% BB appraised price. If your SH domain sells on Afternic, you pay SH 5%, or 0 fee if the afternic sale price is 10%+ more than the SH listing price.

In your BrandBucket account settings, under expanded promotions, there's information on which domains are synced with afternic/sedo.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
The 5% SH fee is from the previous structure.

Yes, but as mentioned, 0% fee requires verifying the afternic listing was at least 10% greater than the SH listing price.

For all domains that sell through Afternic, it's now always 0% SH fee in the new commission structure.

Source: https://domaingang.com/domain-news/squadhelp-uses-zero-fee-carrot-for-afternic-listings/

Per that source:

There are a few strings attached, however, that requires the BIN price on Afternic to be at least 10% higher than Squadhelp pricing. Sellers that close a deal are required to provide proof of sale, including timestamped screenshots of the exchange, within 72 hours.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, but as mentioned, 0% fee requires verifying the afternic listing was at least 10% greater than the SH listing price.
Hi Chris,

The part that was not correct, was this: "If your SH domain sells on Afternic, you pay SH 5%".

Last edited:
•••
the names mentioned in the note can be pretty cool and if they have not been for sale recently you could get enough eyeballs just listing the domains on a sedo lander.
Keep them there for few years and if you are not satisfied with the result, before to try to move to BB and/or SH maybe could be worth to contact a sedo broker for some outreach.....

•••
1. Come up with a buy now price

2. List on afternic and sedo with a buy now price and make sure fast transfer is active and mls is active

3. Wait... could be many many years, I hope not.

•••

Notes:

Thanks in advance!
Why not all three? Currently not pleased with sh, and went there after months of 47 domains not having one visit via dan. not one. Talked to them today after forgetting was even still listed with them and we will see if anything changes. Get some traffic on sh but nothing in sales. also on sedo. To be fair I am just selling excess names that I wont be able to develop and initial pricing was a bit high but they are all in line now. congrats on your holdings! gl with the selling.

•••
Why not all three? Currently not pleased with sh, and went there after months of 47 domains not having one visit via dan. not one. Talked to them today after forgetting was even still listed with them and we will see if anything changes. Get some traffic on sh but nothing in sales. also on sedo. To be fair I am just selling excess names that I wont be able to develop and initial pricing was a bit high but they are all in line now. congrats on your holdings! gl with the selling.

Exactly this. I have names listed on SH (or BB), Sedo (both companies push names there), and then Afternic (both allow this). So all 3. In that case, even if one is not happy with SH or BB, then you lost nothing (since your names are still listed with Afternic and Sedo.

•••

Notes:

Thanks in advance!

The best strategy for you:

1. Get an Afternic account.

2. List with a BIN price that you are happy with

3. Also set a floor price down to which Afternic brokers can negotiate at their own discretion. This helps to convert impulse buys.

4. Change nameservers to ns3.afternic.com ns4.afternic.com - This will ensure that you get afternic landers and also will set your commission to 15% flat.

5. Choose PUR lander type (price upon request), as this works better for names above $3k. The name would still show everywhere on the registrar path, but on the lander itself there will be contact form. This way brokers can work with a client, educate if needed etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back