IT.COM

Namejet Scam??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,
I've just joined your forum because yesterday I had an e-mail (originally from Network Solutions), saying their partner, Namejet, was offering me a chance to bid on a domain name that was soon to be available. I became suspicicious when they asked for credit card information up front, so looked around the internet and found some discussion of their practices on this website. So, I found the website whose domain they said would soon be available and e-mailed them to ask if that was true, and received an e-mail reply from them today saying that their domain name was not due to expire, nor were they planning to let it expire. The exact wording of the e-mail from Network Solutions was "the (domain name) is expiring soon and may be available..."
Wow- this seems like straight up fraud to me. Could you recommend my best course of action in terms of reporting them to someone? Is there a recommendation that you have? Thanks so much!
MarthaB.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Namejet is not such a company that will steal money from your credit card.

There are some issues with all the drop catchers but not the kind of the fraud your post is suggesting. Have you checked whois information and the expiry date for the domain name?

It is possible that some fraudulent people are using the email address of Namejet. I receive emails from such banks asking me to update my details, where I don't have any account.

•••
If there are any links in the email, study them very carefully, they could be fake, meaning this is a scam. But I don't think either NetSol or NameJet are in the business of scamming anybody. So I'd guess any link in the email is not going to NetSol or NameJet. Also, I've never heard of NetSol acting like this, so I'm fairly sure you will find the links are (good) fakes.

•••
There are some questionable business practices but they don't take money out of your account up front. They'll only take money when you order a name and win it. Snapnames.com also asks you for your credit card information up front as well.

1. Don't click on any links. Type in the url and go directly to the site: namejet.com
2. Namejet.com recently made changes regarding the credit card information. You'll have to have a valid credit card on file to put names on backorder. If the card is declined or invalid then it won't let you place bids.

•••
Thanks so much to all + a question

Wow, thanks to all of you for quick, knowledgeable replies- extremely helpful.
One question @Jawed, at the risk of revealing myself to be not very knowledgeable, can you please tell me how I would check the "who is" information and how to check expiry date for the domain name? Really appreciate the help I'm getting on this forum..
Martha

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back