Dynadot

Namepros gets a mention: Dotster Succeeds with $1 Domain Names During 'Happy Hour'

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This press release is all over the place but I've reprinted the version from Cheap Web Hosting Directory I'm listing it primarily because Namepros.com gets some credit for having tipped folks off to the “Happy Hour”.

Dotster Succeeds with $1 Domain Names During 'Happy Hour'

Vancouver, Washington - (Cheap Web Hosting Directory) - February 15, 2006 - Web hosting and domain registration company, Dotster, Inc., has confirmed that it had a large increase in traffic during its first 'Happy Hour' sales event.

On February 14, 2006, beginning at 4:00 PM Eastern, visitors to www.dotster.com could purchase any new .COM, .NET, or .ORG domain for one dollar. They continued to offer domain registrations for $5.99 after 5pm for those visitors who missed the one-dollar sale.

Company officials attribute the extra demand to bloggers who leaked the sale details a day before the virtual event launched.

According to Marci Hansen, Director of Marketing at Dotster commented, ''We wanted our first Happy Hour to be just a small test to make sure the idea would resonate with people. We told a few friends and family, and the word spread like wildfire! The viral force of the Internet proved itself once again.''

Several dozen blogs and news outlets posted the sale event details, beginning with searchenginejournal.com. Other blogs that posted the information include slickdeals.net and namepros.com.

According to the company, it plans to have another Happy Hour soon.

Ms. Hansen added, ''The event brought a lot of attention to our new hosting product specially designed for people with multiple domains. It's a win-win promotion.''

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
slaughterbeck said:
Several dozen blogs and news outlets posted the sale event details, beginning with searchenginejournal.com. Other blogs that posted the information include slickdeals.net and namepros.com.

hey, they're saying namepros is a BLOG :o these journalists are in SUCH A HURRY these days. They just wanna hit Submit as fast as they mortally can.

•••
Yeah, it’s funny that they’d refer to two of the world’s largest forums with over 100,000 pages indexed in Google between them, “Blogs”.

•••
Just an observation, and maybe I'm wrong... but I get the feeling that the "general population" (non-webmaster/mistress folks) don't really know, or see the difference between a blog and a forum.

The reason I say this is... I run a forum directory, and I get a ton of blog submissions. My guidelines are very clear that I will only accept links pointing directly to "discussion forums" yet people keep submitting their blogs... and I keep denying them.

I get some hate mail... but it's all in the name of a "quality directory"

•••
Of course, its well known fact that general non-web related folks have little idea anything about discussion forums or blogs. Since blogs are in limelight lately, I guess everyone is bundling everything else with blogs. IMO.

Gamehouse

•••
aha ! this is a press release !! no wonder ! what's happening nowadays is that smaller businesses and companies dont get their press releases written in-house... they outsource it to freelance writers on various websites such as elance.com etc ..... some of these writers may have no clue whatsoever about the world of technology or the internet in general...... they're just decent writers, and that's what they get paid for .... they are "more or less" accurate (thanks to research conducted via google), so folks dont mind much.

that's what we're probably seeing here with this press release. otherwise it is unacceptable for an internet based business like dotster to make such an egregious blunder.

Last edited:
•••
There's another happy hour going on right now fyi.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back