*does fresh page loads*

++++++++++++++

Sedo homepage

- 'showcase domains' 3/8 ngtlds
- 'featured domains' 10/10 ngtlds
- .store banner

++++++++++++++

godaddy homepage
under search box in prime position - 2/4 ntlds (in order, .info, .life, .club, .co) -- no .com!

run a search query with input text: hello
https://www.godaddy.com/dpp/find?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=hello

sure -- hello.com is taken but do we see many .com suggestions with hello?

20 results are shown, as follows:

11 ntlds*
2 x .org hand reg idea
1 x .com aftermarket option
1 x .info hand reg idea
2 x .co hand reg ideas
2 x .net hand reg ideas

the first 6 results are ngtlds, then a .org suggestion.

* 11/11 are aftermarket recommendations ranging from $69.99 per year (hello.fishing) to $19,999.99 one time (14.99/yr thereafter) or you could do $6499.99 per year indefinitely for hello.one and hello.site with 1/2 price discount on yr1 for the latter. 6/11 with annual renewals over >$3999.99.

++++++++++++++

uniregistry homepage
under search box in prime position - 4/6 ngtlds (in order, .city, .xyz, .world, .store, .asia. .info) -- no .com!

++++++++++++++

This is HUGE wind for ngtlds. These companies are obfuscating .com in major ways.

Now I'll pivot to being subjective and offer my own thoughts:

- .com domains are so well subscribed to that it probably is difficult to make viable suggestions to end users. Difficult but not impossible.

- these companies stand to gain much more (profit margins), by being able to sell these ngtlds. I don't know the math as I'm not an insider but if they make say $3 per .com hand reg but can make thousands for a single ngtld then what are they gonna try and pump?

- in spite of all of this wind, the ngtld boat has awful sails and a hole too. The water is coming in.

- premium .com domains are an absolute bargain compared to 'premium' ngtlds

- only a few fall in love with a premium ngtld. Registrars are like dating sites trying to make that happen these days with these pigs wearing lipstick on the center stage.

For example, hello.store for $6499.99 per year with $3299.99 upfront.

- most know what they are doing and will build on a .com.

- the registrars are giving a false sense that the market for these ngtld's is bigger than it really is

- .com is so established, so engrained in people's minds and churned out in marketing messages that people see thousands/ millions times a second around the world on various medias that it couldn't care less what registrars do.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
damned if they push it, damned if they dont right?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back