Domain Empire

advice New Start-Ups Not Choosing .com As Much Anymore

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
According to data from Betalist, as shared by Marc Köhlbrugge on Twitter, .com usage amongst early stage startups has been on the decline. The data that was shared shows .com usage was 78% ten years ago and it has declined to 56% most recently...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They don't afford that's all.. once they can afford, they do go for the best .com possible!

•••

New Start-Ups Not Choosing .com As Much Anymore​

Mark Zuckerberg chooses a com domain meta.com
#Metaverse

•••
Very few will like the pics.

Attachments

• 6998B031-D148-4BE2-B0DF-404994A2CF8D.jpeg
    6998B031-D148-4BE2-B0DF-404994A2CF8D.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 0AFF8409-4803-4866-8FEA-A7D6E67B6506.jpeg
    0AFF8409-4803-4866-8FEA-A7D6E67B6506.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 55
  • D7AE4370-2358-48C9-BF9A-B9BA78C6F94E.jpeg
    D7AE4370-2358-48C9-BF9A-B9BA78C6F94E.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 62
•••
IMO, .com will always remain king if companies can afford it.
Andrew Miller (pro domainer) said it best:

It was almost automatic that a company that closed a major funding round, a Series A or D, would inevitably announce the acquisition of their exact match category .com domain name shortly thereafter. While other companies decided to "spend down" to buy an .io or .xyz, many of the .com deals were companies then upgrading to .com when they had the capital and opportunity to do so. I have said this many times before, and will continue to. The more a company spends marketing dollars and clout on a non .com, the more traffic, revenue, and customers they will send to the .com. Best case it's lost or delayed business, and worst case it feeds a competitor.

Last edited:
•••
IMO, .com will always remain king if companies can afford it.
Andrew Miller (pro domainer) said it best:

It was almost automatic that a company that closed a major funding round, a Series A or D, would inevitably announce the acquisition of their exact match category .com domain name shortly thereafter. While other companies decided to "spend down" to buy an .io or .xyz, many of the .com deals were companies then upgrading to .com when they had the capital and opportunity to do so. I have said this many times before, and will continue to. The more a company spends marketing dollars and clout on a non .com, the more traffic, revenue, and customers they will send to the .com. Best case it's lost or delayed business, and worst case it feeds a competitor.
If .com versions are available for sale, I agree that companies using other extensions want to acquire them.

However, I have seen that many .com versions are already developed business websites. So in such case, I don't think the companies care about .com.

Last edited:
•••
If .com versions are available for sale, I agree that companies using other extensions want to acquire them.

However, I have seen that many .com versions are already developed business websites. So in such case, I don't think the companies care about .com.
Not that they don't care, it's still because they can't afford to buy out even the developed site for just acquiring the .com name. Unless you are of course Facebook and offer $60M just to buy the .com domain name and trademark rights from the current bank called Metabank.com

Another example, Petsmart.com also owns pet.com . My guess is somewhere down the line they purchased pet.com from someone, whether site was developed or not and whether it was available for sale or not, but Petsmart had the money. Petsmart never rebranded as just Pet, they simply forwarded pet.com to Petsmart.com

My point being a premium .com should always hold value and be attractive.

Last edited:
•••
Not that they don't care, it's still because they can't afford to buy out even the developed site for just acquiring the .com name. Unless you are of course Facebook and offer $60M just to buy the .com domain name and trademark rights from the current bank called Metabank.com
When you see that a .com is already a developed business site, do you think that you must be able to upgrade to the .com one day in the future and then use another extension temporarily and wait for that day? In this case, if companies choose to use other extensions, it means that .com is not a must to them because they know they may never own .com versions in the future.

Of course, if .com is available for sale, start-ups will try to buy it when they can afford it because .com is still the most used extension.

Last edited:
•••
When you see that a .com is already a developed business site, do you think that you must be able to upgrade to the .com one day in the future and then use another extension temporarily and wait for that day? In this case, if companies choose to use other extensions, it means that .com is not a must to them because they know they may never own .com versions in the future.

Of course, if .com is available for sale, start-ups will try to buy it when they can afford it because .com is still the most used extension.
Agreed, if a .com is not available to them, company will acquire the second best option, for example another tld or a longer .com name. Whether this is temporary or not is up to the company if they are satisfied with their second best option. Naturally people want to upgrade or get something better, so if the first choice .com becomes available, they will try to acquire it if they can afford it.

Last edited:
•••
As time passes long enough as you can see .xyz everywhere on ads there won’t be something called “upgrade”.

•••
As time passes long enough as you can see .xyz everywhere on ads there won’t be something called “upgrade”.
In such case, "upgrade" will still be called, but people will say "upgrade to .xyz".

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back