Oops! Microsoft Sues Man Who Buys Expired Domain Name

Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
Accused Spammer Says Microsoft Is Wrong

June 25, 2003, 7:43 PM EDT

LONDON -- A British man accused by Microsoft Corp. of sending offensive spam e-mails to its customers said Wednesday it is a case of mistaken identity.

Simon Grainger, of Merseyside, northern England, said he is one of those named in 15 lawsuits Microsoft filed last week accusing defendants of collectively flooding its systems and customers with more than 2 billion deceptive unsolicited e-mail messages.

Grainger told the British Broadcasting Corp. he received a writ on June 17 from the U.S.-based corporation, alleging that he was a spammer and had been harvesting e-mail addresses from its MSN site.

But the 43-year-old telecommunications engineer said the three Web sites he owns are used for his teenage daughter's home page and for a local flying club, not for spamming. He believes he was targeted because a domain name he bought last year may have been used in spam attacks by a previous owner.

"When I activated it, it was suddenly inundated with spam -- and I took it off-line," he told the BBC.

In a release about the lawsuit, the company accused Grainger of "issu(ing a) large volume of 'attacks' against Microsoft servers in an attempt to confirm the validity of more than 3 million computer-generated e-mail addresses, in effect harvesting legitimate e-mail addresses for suspected future spam distribution and/or resale."

Microsoft was confident in suing Grainger and the other defendants in its 15 lawsuits, said Tim Cranton, senior corporate attorney for Microsoft. But he conceded that there may be new evidence that emerges and the company is "open to looking at that information and considering it."

Microsoft's original statement about the case referred to defendants in Britain only as "John Doe." Cranton said the company did not want to name the individuals until they were certain they had been served with the complaints.

Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another take on the story. The domain name was viawestnetworks.com

His story checks out. He registered the name in Oct 2002, and the anti-spam sites show the spam being sent before that date.

Mr Grainger, who works as an engineer for BT, said yesterday: "I completely deny these allegations.

"I want to tell Bill Gates that he has got the wrong man.

"I hate junk mail. I have to suffer it myself and it drives me mad. It is ludicrous to suggest that I have launched a junk mail campaign from my home computers - I just haven't got the capabilities to do it. It seems to me that Microsoft are using the law as a blunt instrument, and it is very intimidating."

Mr Grainger estimates it will cost him at least £25,000 to defend the action. "I simply cannot afford to fight a legal battle with one of the world's richest men," he said.

He believes he has been accused because he bought a domain name which had previously been used by spammers. He intended to use the name, viawestnetworks.com, for a hang-gliding website.

Full article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,985069,00.html

•••
•••
•••
•••
Someone explain to me though why ViaWestNetworks.com would make a good hang-gliding site? :D

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
Someone explain to me though why ViaWestNetworks.com would make a good hang-gliding site? :D

I really have no idea why someone would want that name for a "hang-Gliding" site. There is something funny about this whole thing.

I waould be curious what the Who Was says

•••

Humm, doesn't sound like a hang-gliding name to me:-/
I think this guy is gonna get friedD-:

•••
•••
OMG thats just sad... stupid guy who messes with microsoft.

•••
Originally posted by seiya
OMG thats just sad... stupid guy who messes with microsoft.

You're better re-read the article. It was Microsoft messing with the guy, in a case of mistaken identity. :)

•••
he could of atleast used a better domain such as micrasoft.com :guilty:

•••
Originally posted by DotLeader
he could of atleast used a better domain such as micrasoft.com :guilty:

Dot Leader,

Thats hillarious! Thanks for helping me start out this wonderful day with a chuckle.

Take care,

ShashRoot

•••
You're better re-read the article. It was Microsoft messing with the guy, in a case of mistaken identity. :)

LMAO sorry, now i get it :D

•••
gee it's such a shock to see microsoft making mistakes like this. The company is like all of their operating systems. unstable, bloated, and constantly having errors:]

•••
Still no thoughts on the "Hang Gliding Club" called Via West Networks? lol....

•••
Originally posted by SY4
Still no thoughts on the "Hang Gliding Club" called Via West Networks? lol....

Sounds like a quick excuse (*cough* lie) to explain why he was buying this expired domain in the first place.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back