Domain Empire

Porkbun Official Thread

Spaceship
Watch

Porkbun

Established Member
Porkbun.com
Impact
OINK! Hello to everyone here at NamePros, I’m happy to be joining y’all. My name’s Eddie and as the title suggests this will be our official thread here for funneling announcements, questions, feedback, and anything else folks want to talk about. I or someone else on the team will be checking regularly and being as responsive as possible.

And of course, if you need help with your Porkbun account, you can reach our support team (including me) 9 am to 5 pm PST seven days a week at [email protected], 855-767-5286, or by clicking the “Help” icon on our site to start a live chat.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Bacon or a .com🤔
both GIF

•••
Last edited:
•••
Hi @Porkbun

The major outage at Cloudflare is still ongoing. I realize that Porkbun has become too dependent on Cloudflare. Does Porkbun have a workaround available, so that DNS can be changed again?

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/

1699008737799.png

•••
•••
Does anyone know, how to hide my old domain names (which i don't own them anymore) on Domain Management?

•••
Hi @Embrand

Unlike my GoDaddy account, I don't have an account manager at Porkbun and I'm not sure if Porkbun uses such a model for their customers. Probably not. But when something is going on, there is always very direct, pleasant and adequate contact with a small team, and things are actually solved. That is definitely a breath of fresh air.

As far as discounts are concerned, Porkbun already has pretty much the lowest prices for both small and large customers. As far as I know, no distinction is made between them. However, you can still receive even lower rates with an ACH Only account, that's where you can add balance in advance.

Maybe @Porkbun can tell some more about this.
Thanks for this information. Good to hear that support is great, and I like that they show the faces of their employees (including the company plant...) on their website. As long as support is great, I don't think it is necessary to have an account manager.

The only thing that I miss - being outside the US - is that you cannot top up your account by credit card or wire transfer. I really hope they will add these options soon @Porkbun.

•••
Hello @Porkbun,

One thing I'm urgently missing while managing my large portfolio with you, is the ability to delete domains in bulk.

Could you please make it a priority to implement such a feature?

I'd appreciate it, thank you.

•••
There's continuously more stuff rolling out and we're of course still taking any feedback as fast as we can implement, so please feel free to chime in with further improvements y'all would like to see!
You folks have been busy in Oregon! One simple request would be, to not have to have the buyer pay for the renewal as part of the lander, if expiration is greater than 60-90 days.

Has this ever been tested to see whether, by NOT requiring the renewal fee up front, there is a higher sale success rate?

Right now, it appears that landers in general across various registrars require the renewal fee upfront with the sale, regardless of how far away the expiration date is.

Last edited:
•••
I don't believe renewals are part of a marketplace transaction. We show the expiration date and what the current renewal rate is at time of transfer, but otherwise you're just buying the domain as is a the cost the seller has listed it for.
Wow, nice! That is a very nice distinction from other landers I have seen! Could you double check that, to make certain that's still the case?

At this time, can you use the Porkbun landers if you are not currently using Porkbunas a registrar? I'd love to give it a try!

Last edited:
•••
I'm already experiencing problems managing my portfolio at Porkbun because of this missing feature. I hope a bulk delete option is implemented soon. Ty.
How is this a problem rather than an inconvenience? Curious.

•••
no, just a normal VISA debit card.

I have bought a lot of domains at Godaddy and Namecheap without any problems.

What do you mean by cybercurrency? Is there an option available at porkbun.com to buy domains using cybercurrency?
Sorry about the confusion. Meant to say cryptocurrency, which they do accept.
Sounds like it's an issue for their customer service to sort out.
Hope you get this resolved soon, as you sound very frustrated by it--especially since it was never a problem with those other marketplaces.

Last edited:
•••
Less employees = more accountability. I find whenever companies start expanding/outsourcing employees it turns out for a negative customer experience.

I like the personable, hands on feel that PB gives.
That's great to hear.
The problem was sorted out. Thanks to awesome support provided by the team. They are very professional and reliable team. I will certainly continue to buy more domains from porkbun. :)
Wow, to hear such happiness from a registrar's customer support! Great job, Porkbun!

•••
What happened to pricing on your landers? Have to scroll to almost bottom of page to see price. Like to see that above the fold, in the blue box where it says

Exámple1.oink
This domain is for sale
( where is price?)

Great setup btw, very easy to maneuver and customize each lander.

The above is on mobile, where the price and BIN button are the 3rd block down below
we've got you covered and got questions
On the pc the landing page looks perfect
I think it would look better on mobile if the 2 blocks on right were the first 2 under the blue for sale lander. Price is a long way from the for sale sign

Last edited:
•••
Select all checkbox doesn't work on utiltaltautrtirauian view.

•••
Please make that Paypal payment links can work without being logged in. Sometimes its other people than the account owner who pay for domain registration/renewals and it is preferred not to give access to the account just for that. Alternatively, allow giving limited privileges on per domain basis (not like the beta feature "authorized users" which means full access to everything) to other accounts (for example: payments or DNS management).

•••
I see nothing on porkbun.com that shows anything like that. Looking at their homepage is an oddly satisfying experience.
Our life is simply causes and beliefs. And were right.
🐷

•••
I see nothing on porkbun.com that shows anything like that. Looking at their homepage is an oddly satisfying experience.
Our life is simply causes and beliefs. And were right.
🐷
:)
I guess you don't receive their emails then. That is what I'm referring to.

•••
For the record, Porkbun is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Top Level Design. Top Level Design runs dot gay
Thanks. That would certainly explain their promotion of that TLD then!!!

We've looked at Sedo integration in the past, their system is more complex and thus it's been hard for us to support as a small registrar team. That said, as others have noted, now may be a good time for us to revisit.
Yes, I certainly think that would be helpful, and would place you further up the list in terms of registrars that are of greatest value to the domaining community.

Registries rarely offer transfer promotions considering it doesn't really mean anything to them where your domain is hosted. Our margins are typically pretty slim to the point of most domains are close to their actual cost. ACH can be a good option for bulk orders as it would eliminate credit card fees.
Yeah, I totally understand. I was thinking more from a point of view that some registrars at various points in time have run it as a loss-leader. E.g. If you do a bulk transfer of 500 domains (and pay by ACH) we'll do them at $8.49 each, knowing that many of those domains will be renewed for years to come and you make your profit down the track. I know some people would look for another deal next time and transfer out again, but most do not. I certainly know that I have tended to keep all my domains at one registrar and renewed there continually as it just makes management a heap easier. So all of my portfolio has been continually renewed at Epik for about the last 6 years. Given the absolute fiasco that Epik has turned into (to put it politely) I now find myself having to move.

Not only do you get the ongoing renewals from such a promo, but it increases your domains under management, which in turn should have an incremental increase in marketplace sales from which you also earn commission (further increasing your profit, or at least supplementing the funds that were used for the loss-leader).

I realise you operate on very thin margins, so this is not necessarily a simple equation, but it certainly can work.

Our parent company manages .gay, and with that said we would treat it the same way even if that wasn't the case. There are many social or cultural specific TLDs, and we sell domains, so that means we promote .green, .asia, .lat, .eco, .lgbt ,and more. We strongly support what our colleagues at .gay are doing: it is the first TLD to ban hate and donate a consistent percentage of its revenue to LGBTQ+ organizations, having raised over $180,000. Identifying as LGBTQ+ is not a cause, and promoting domains whether it is .com or .lgbt is our passion and job. We're glad to work with .gay and other TLDs that make our job more engaging. I would never usually recommend this but perhaps your best bet is to use our industry-best platform and unsubscribe from our marketing, if that is what you are trying to avoid. Thank you for being a customer and have a great day.
Thank you for your comments, and for your suggestion. :)
I appreciate your time.

•••
•••
Has anyone tried adding names to Porkbun Marketplace with the check mark for using their lander page and had issues the last few days?

I have listed many in past without issues. But now it spins for minutes never completing the DNS. If you do not check the Park on Marketplace, it will update the price properly.

I have tried with multiple names and with multiple TLDs. I do have the problem reported to support at Porkbun, but thought I would post here to see if anyone else is having same problems.

I am using Chrome (the newest one from overnight) on a Silicon M1 Mac, but to see if that was the problem tried Incognito Chrome and Safari and both respond the same way. I do not go through a VPN or use ad blockers, and have not had a network change since everything worked fine.

I have successfully listed many dozens on marketplace previously, so it is a new problem for me. I can't recall exactly when I last listed without problems, I think about two weeks ago or so.

Bob

@Porkbun

Last edited:
•••
Has anyone tried adding names to Porkbun Marketplace with the check mark for using their lander page and had issues the last few days?

I have listed many in past without issues. But now it spins for minutes never completing the DNS. If you do not check the Park on Marketplace, it will update the price properly.

I have tried with multiple names and with multiple TLDs. I do have the problem reported to support at Porkbun, but thought I would post here to see if anyone else is having same problems.

I am using Chrome (the newest one from overnight) on a Silicon M1 Mac, but to see if that was the problem tried Incognito Chrome and Safari and both respond the same way. I do not go through a VPN or use ad blockers, and have not had a network change since everything worked fine.

I have successfully listed many dozens on marketplace previously, so it is a new problem for me. I can't recall exactly when I last listed without problems, I think about two weeks ago or so.

Bob

@Porkbun
Hey Bob, Just a quick note to say I've added some this week and haven't had any issues adding to Porkbun's marketplace.

•••
Hey, Bob. Sorry for not seeing this sooner but I'm wondering if you're still experiencing this issue? We had some wonky IPv6 issues at AWS and it was causing all sorts of problems. We believe these issues have been worked around until the issue is resolved so I'd be interested to know if it fixed this for you.
I just tried changing one and it still seems to spin for minutes. So not yet resolved for me.

I did find a workaround that always works however.
1. I first change the DNS to your standard ones.
2. Then in second operation I do the price change, add an AI generated description (thank you!), etc. and even with the Park checked it now works fine.

So in other words, it is somehow the combination of a lander/price change that also involves a change to your DNS that is what makes it hang for me. Divide the two (which is what I did to successfully list all I wanted) and each work fine.

For example, listing for sale a newly registered name never hangs, because the default DNS were already in place. Same for a name already using your landers, that you are just changing price or generating a description, no problem. It is only for cases where the existing DNS are not Porkbun, AND you are changing both price and lander DNS that hangs. I am using Chrome (newest stable release) on an M1 Mac, in case that matters.

But as I said, I have a simple workaround, so if it is only me reporting the problem, don't worry about it.

By the way, thanks for the improvements in your landers over the past months, and now with AI generated descriptions too! Very nice!

-Bob

PS @Scott Davis glad you are not having issues. Were you adding names that had their DNS previously set to something else, or just listing for sale new transfer/registrations that already had Porkbun DNS. Those work fine for me, but not if I had previous DNS pointed say to Dan.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Porkbun and @SlackJawedYokel ,
I don't see a Backorder service on your website. Have you thought of setting one up?...
Thanks.

•••
Porkbun limited time .io sale...73% off @$12.67...1st one available for $11.67 using code...AWESOMENESS
btw i tried the code but it didn't work

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back