NameSilo

discuss Recovering your investment in a name.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I've got an average two word name that I registered 7 years ago. I guess that means my investment is around $70 so far. I've decided that I ought to sell it, but I'm reluctant to take a notional loss. I doubt if the name is worth more than $100. Godaddy values it at $1,494, and states this justification "Valuable keyword: name is a high value keyword that has an average sale price of $2153."

My record in selling names seems to be consistent underselling. So, do I try to sell it to the traded for a few hundred, put it up for auction, or list it for $1,500 and accept offers.

This is a general question, as I must have a couple of hundred names like this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Without knowing the domain I'd say maybe list for $200. Domains usually go for like 10% of godaddy appraised value. However, if you want to wait for an end-user it is your choice. Keep these factors in your choice, is domain 30 days or less from expiry, have you had it listed for 7 years, do you need cash desperately, do you want to raise money for renewals of other domains. Is the domain easy to say and spell. Just my thoughts. Regards

•••
The reality is the liquid value of these type of names trends towards zero.

There are 1000's of names with GD valuations around $1500 expiring or at closeouts every single day.

So if you want to move them quickly you'll be lucky to get your investment back on a portfolio basis.

If you're not in a hurry then put them up with BIN landers at retail prices and expect a ~1% STR. IMO auctions only really work with relatively strong names. If you want to move them quicker you could try listing here on namepros. If the names are decent you should sell a decent percentage of them. If not you won't sell any.

•••
Starting this thread has been very helpful, and it has made me think about my domaining policy. The name in question was NameCougar.com, and I picked it up as a name flipping site. I also had NameStag.com, and I preferred that for nostalgic reasons. I used to stag new share issues before the Stock Exchange big bang, and, in fact, I managed to earn the deposit on my first house by stagging shares. What I have discovered is that the animal, the cougar, is in the Guinness book of records as being the animal with the most names, and I think that is a fun association with this industry. I think I'm going to keep it, and use it for quick turnover names ( if there are such things these days).
Thanks guys foir the comments, and they have helped me to plan my activities in the current domain industry.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back