Dynadot

purchases Seller shadow bans me (deletes name after acq. attempt)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Andreas B.

Top Member
Impact
Found a domain I am interested in to buy.

After I clicked 'Buy now', filled in the priv. information, and tried to pay for it, I realized that my account didn't have the needed funds.

So I had to transfer money onto it, and proceed with the acquisition later on.

After a few days, I receive a follow-up e-mail from the marketplace, that tells me to pay for the domain.

I click on the link, proceed to buy & pay.

Before paying, I visited the domain one more time, and what I see is:
The seller is using our nameservers, but has not listed the name on our marketplace.

Aha...

Few hours later I got a mail from the marketplace:

"I am sorry to inform you that the seller notified us that they are no longer the domain owners."

What the hell?!

A clear lie.

Which is really interesting & awkward at the same time:

Nameservers are the same, no whois transaction, nothing ...

Seller simply deleted the name from the marketplace, after figuring he is not (really) ready to sell the domain for the price, he himself actually listed it for!

But forgot to change the nameservers.

My opinion about that:

This seller should be blacklisted & banned from the marketplace.

And his name should be made public, for public shame.

That's my point of view.

You cannot list a domain for price X, and then, when someone inquires, you change your mind about the price!

That's stupid and dishonorable and you should no longer get the opportunity to list your names on that marketplace.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The domain could've sold before you even clicked "buy." Some sellers don't bother un-listing their domains after they've sold through a different venue. In fact, I own one Chinese domain that is still listed on 4.cn (by the original owner) after I bought it through escrow.

•••
The story is a little convoluted.

What was the venue?
Did you actually hit BIN?

Brad
It was DAN,
and yes, I hit the BIN price.

Filled in my personal data, but couldn't pay due to insufficient funds.

When I came back to pay, and paid (transferred the money over to DAN),
a few hours later I got that message that the seller is no longer the domain owner.

Which is of course totally wrong & not true.

Because, shortly before paying, I visited the domain again, and it was said:
The owner is using our nameservers, but has not yet added his name to DAN.

Which means, that he has deleted the domain from his account at DAN.

If he would have sold it, - as he claims - there would be:
Domain already sold

If he would have sold, the whois info would have also changed.

But neither of both happened here.

He simply deleted the domain, when he figured out that I want to buy for his BIN price.

As he "overthought" the price.

And this is why I say:

Seller should either hand the domain over to me, for the BIN price, or DAN should (actually) do something,
for ex. ban him.

That is my personal opinion, to preserve integrity & truthfulness of the market.

Last edited:
•••
The domain could've sold before you even clicked "buy." Some sellers don't bother un-listing their domains after they've sold through a different venue. In fact, I own one Chinese domain that is still listed on 4.cn (by the original owner) after I bought it through escrow.
Don't think this is what happened here.

The domain was registered 2 months ago,
and what kind of coincidence shall it be, that when I want to buy it,

some other comes along &
a) buys the domain for BIN price
b) whois stays the same
c) he does not add it to DAN (in case of resell)
d) but points nameservers to DAN
e) no this domain is already sold message pops up when visiting the domain

All very strange, if sellers story shall be true.

Last edited:
•••
@Andreas B. I can see that Whois was updated on April 17. When did you click BIN?

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
So you waited a whole week before trying to pay for the domain? Considering the low price of the domain, it's not unlikely at all that it actually sold during that week. Especially considering the change of Whois on the 17th.

•••
So you waited a whole week before trying to pay for the domain? Considering the low price of the domain, it's not unlikely at all that it actually sold during that week. Especially considering the change of Whois on the 17th.
Yeah , might be...

Then my apologies, seller maybe really sold it somehow.

Good for him - bad for me.

Whatever...

thanks (y)

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I knew something wasn't adding up... It was fair game... It's upsetting on the selling side when buyers drag on payment as well... Just move on, and do better next time. It happens...

Last edited:
•••
So I am a bit confused also. How long was "a few days"? It could be a scenario like others above have mentioned. How long do most marketplaces give a buyer to pay when the BIN?

Usually 10-30 days, but this is not the case here as otherwise it would have been communicated to the buyer.

•••
I believe Dan gives buyers 12 days to pay. Still, this doesn't explain how a pending sale within that time frame didn't complete. In the past there were instances where I, as the seller, waited over 50 days to complete a transaction via Afternic because the buyer didn't want a push and the domain was transfer-locked. In my opinion, Dan should examine if at the time the purchase took place via BIN the domain was in the seller's possession. It doesn't matter what he did the day after.

•••
I believe Dan gives buyers 12 days to pay. Still, this doesn't explain how a pending sale within that time frame didn't complete. In the past there were instances where I, as the seller, waited over 50 days to complete a transaction via Afternic because the buyer didn't want a push and the domain was transfer-locked. In my opinion, Dan should examine if at the time the purchase took place via BIN the domain was in the seller's possession. It doesn't matter what he did the day after.
I had one recently Theo, a buyer made a $500 offer, I accepted, it was easy to find out who the buyer was she was posting on social media. but did not pay, after two weeks DAN asked me if I wanted to continue to wait? I said no because I found her email address easily let her know she agreed to purchase a domain name but if she did not want it, let me know so I can tell DAN to cancel the transaction. She did not reply to me while that night talking about where she hoped to get her drink on. So I told DAN to cancel.

•••
I had one recently Theo, a buyer made a $500 offer, I accepted, it was easy to find out who the buyer was she was posting on social media. but did not pay, after two weeks DAN asked me if I wanted to continue to wait? I said no because I found her email address easily let her know she agreed to purchase a domain name but if she did not want it, let me know so I can tell DAN to cancel the transaction. She did not reply to me while that night talking about where she hoped to get her drink on. So I told DAN to cancel.
Now that's a classic!

•••
Now that's a classic!
I know I was pissing my pants, and nothing in my email to her was angry or anything. I was just like I see you made an offer and I accepted if you want to back out just let me know She just ignored me. The name was Public Relations related and that was her degree and what she did for a living, she was fresh out of college, so I figured I will help a young person out. Nope, not even the courtesy of a reply.

•••
Yeah, I knew something wasn't adding up... It was fair game... It's upsetting on the selling side when buyers drag on payment as well... Just move on, and do better next time. It happens...
Hey,

well, now that I thought a bit about it, ...
there are two (major) orange flags.

1st, DAN by default reports each sale to namebio.
You have to turn it off by yourself; many sellers don't do it.

The name however, is nowhere to be found at namebio.

2nd, name was registered on feb. 15th, and exactly 2 months later (apr. 17th) whois status gets updated.

So, approximately 60 days after (transferlock period), when you are able to move to domain.

I don't care anymore, as its ok for me.

But, this two points at least do not undermine my suspection,
that he just didn't want to sell & deleted the name from DAN.

Whatever, I keep your recommendation, and move on.... ;) :)

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on this!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back