Domain Empire

status-monitor Reforming the NamePros Thanks and Likes System

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
I know I've brought this up in the past .. couldn't find it though so I'm guessing it was within another thread where it was only part of the discussion. I found myself about to post more comments on this in another thread but figured best to create it's own stand alone topic.

Anyhow, in most forums like-count really doesn't matter as much as it potentially does at NamePros, because at NamePros there is business being conducted and money exchanged .. so while a deceptively and unmerited high "like-count" is harmless in most other online forums, at NamePros there could be actual tangible harm do if people equate "like-count" to trust/authority.

Now I know NamePros says people should not make or assume a connection between like count and trust/authority .. but let's be honest and say that people's like count most certainly does influence what people think of them. Particularly newcomers looking for "expert" opinions .. 90%(+) of newcomers will trust someone with a noticeably higher post count than someone else.

Here's what was taken from the other thread ...

Anyone over a ratio of 1.5 is providing good value but for you, your ratio is a whooping 3.4 which is truly amazing - well done and thanks or all the excellent value.
For me personally when I look at likes score I like to see about a 2-1 ratio of likes to posts.
I know I have been using that number as a basis for my contributions.

These were my comments which I won't put in quotes so that the whole thing is visible:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/10-000-likes-the-5-figure-like-club.1169235/page-2#post-7552545

---- Begin Quote ----
That being said .. the likes system at NamePros is effectively meaningless. And I bring this up not to bring anyone with high likes down .. but to point out that there are most definitely people who contribute SIGNIFICANT value to the community whose likes ratio fall significantly lower than many people who actually don't put in much effort.

For example .. I spend hours every day working on my daily lists which I post here at NamePros. For the first year I even did so with NO affiliate links .. but these days with ~150 views a day, I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 likes .. There was a time where I wasn't even getting a single like per week total (plus it was back when my posts were too long I had to split them up, so I was actually getting 0 or 1 like per 14 to 21 posts).

But then I write someone a nice customised welcome in the meet and greet section and get 4-5 likes for a 2-3 minute effort (so 2-3x the likes for literally 100x less effort than I put into my expiration auction posts).

But even more telling of how likes are effectively meaningless at NamePros is that in the very same welcome thread where I'd get 4-5 likes for a nice customised hello/welcome post, someone else will write a one word "welcome", but because they are in a "like group", they get an extra 2-3 likes extra from their "group" and get 7-8 likes .. for a 3 second ZERO effort/content post (they don't even read the person's post because sometimes the first post is junk from an obvious spambot yet they still just post "Welcome" looking to increase their like count .. lol) .. it's pretty sad and why I think most off-topic sections of namepros should have likes turned off and removed as well as having a minimum 100 character count on a post before it can be liked.

Just so you know, it's really not that much, this sentence is actually more than one hundred characters!

More importantly .. in most discussion forum likes are effectively meaningless .. but at NamePros there is indeed commerce taking place .. and most people equate the "likes" to trust (or even worse .. to "authority".. but in the case of NamePros, likes most certainly does not mean that at all the way it's set up now. :-/

---- End Quote ----

I didn't really mean that to mean that people with a lot of likes should not be given props (I'm still grateful for all of mine) .. but more to say I see a lot of people with low like-ratios who often post helpful high-quality posts.

I probably am simply most aware of it because the spectrum of helpfulness of my posts is so wide .. but it's actually my most helpful posts that get the least likes and my least helpful that gets the most .. lol. (So for me it probably balances out when it comes to my ratio, but for others unfortunately it doesn't)

I remember when I first started at NamePros I didn't post in the welcome threads because I felt a little out of place welcoming a newcomer when I was a newcomer myself. But looking back that's a bit silly and everyone should feel welcome to welcome everybody!
(lmaorotf .. Black Box - Everybody Everybody just started playing on my playlist)

I think I had 500 likes and 500 posts both at almost exactly 6 months I think (1like:1post). Then when I started welcoming members in the meet and greet section, my like ratio exploded to far over 3:1 and I think it was closing in on 4likes:1post at one point .. then as I started posting my lists more and more regularly, my ratio dropped and now I've dropped back below 3:1.

So not to take anything away from anyone with a lot of post .. but to me it unfortunately becomes a meaningless and even misleading metric .. (I say unfortunately, because indeed if set up properly it could actually be significantly more meaningful (obviously not perfect .. but certainly noticeable better).

To me reforming the likes system is not about bringing people down, it's about lifting those who's contributions are discounted because they don't post a one word "welcome" to a spambot or aren't able to offer promotions or lists, etc. .. it's more about letting those with lower like counts or ratios know, to not be discouraged .. because there are only a few of us who see through and beyond like the current like count and post count systems! :)

When I had my old club music / DJ forum with 35k members, "like technology" (lol) did not exists, so it was post count that everyone looked at. It got to the point where a select few super-inflated their post counts in the off-topic forums. So I did effectively exactly as I recommended above (except with posts since there were no "likes") and I turned off post-count in off-topic forums. It wasn't a night and day difference, it certainly did not make things perfect .. but there most certainly was a noticeable drop in garbage/non-genuine post and an increase in quality posts.

I know it's not easy to change and reform such an ingrained system .. but figured I'd post the suggestion here since I already wrote half of the above elsewhere (and didn't want to veer the thread in question too much off-topic) .. and more importantly it is a serious suggestion that 100% would increase the quality:post overall. How much I can't say say .. but most certainly better! ;)

@Ategy , I agree with you on "likes" not carrying as much weight as they should, I wish there was a more accurate metric that would reflect the amount of useful contributions that are made in the forum.
Yup .. obviously I agree! :)

Moderators' response:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, the Epik Coupon thread - https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-com-promo-deals-and-happy-hour-mega-thread.1148974/

Just first 10 pages or so, number of likes per post:
.................. for those mentioning ratio. Coupons get likes. Or give me x number of likes, get a great coupon.
Will continue over there.

Yeah .. but I'm not saying anyone is currently doing anything wrong. In fact .. at the moment it's @NamePros' official stance that people can use Likes/Thanks in ANY way they want.

What I'm talking about isn't about being against anything anyone has done (because NamePros themselve encouraged off-topic liking by the simple fact of enabling it in those forum and then of specifically stating there are no rules or guidelines).

When it comes to Rob specificly most certainly has has a handful of posts that skews his stats .. but his on-topic posts still most certainly hold a high Like:Post ratio, so I'm most definitely not talking about his in any specific way .. in fact .. whether you like him or not, he brings a (registrar executive) perspective and dimension to the community that can't even be measured with likes. He most certainly makes an above average effort to contribute here (even if you don't often agree with him it seems .. lol). So yes I think likes should be removed from off-topic forums (and probably that coupon/promotions forum), but I doubt it would affect ihs ratio as much as you'd think .. and more importantly .. I think he'd be the first person to say he doesn't care .. lol .. in fact .. I don't think most of us heavier/older user would truly care either way .. I'm simply talking about making the metrics more relevant and accurate and helpful (less misleading) to newer members.

I did start another topic on this subject specifically not to talk about it here .. so please go here if you want to discuss it any further .. and I for one think Rob still merits a congratulations .. and even if you removed all those likes you mentioned, he'd likely hit 10,000 by the end of the week anyways! lol
(He's already at 10,111 total like in less than 24 hours after starting this thread! lol)

Last edited:
•••
In one thread, don't want to rain on the other. Short version, coupon posts are going to get likes.

Yeah .. but I'm not saying anyone is currently doing anything wrong. In fact .. at the moment it's @NamePros' official stance that people can use Likes/Thanks in ANY way they want.

What I'm talking about isn't about being against anything anyone has done (because NamePros themselve encouraged off-topic liking by the simple fact of enabling it in those forum and then of specifically stating there are no rules or guidelines).

When it comes to Rob specificly most certainly has has a handful of posts that skews his stats .. but his on-topic posts still most certainly hold a high Like:Post ratio, so I'm most definitely not talking about his in any specific way .. in fact .. whether you like him or not, he brings a (registrar executive) perspective and dimension to the community that can't even be measured with likes. He most certainly makes an above average effort to contribute here (even if you don't often agree with him it seems .. lol). So yes I think likes should be removed from off-topic forums (and probably that coupon/promotions forum), but I doubt it would affect ihs ratio as much as you'd think .. and more importantly .. I think he'd be the first person to say he doesn't care .. lol .. in fact .. I don't think most of us heavier/older user would truly care either way .. I'm simply talking about making the metrics more relevant and accurate and helpful (less misleading) to newer members.

I did start another topic on this subject specifically not to talk about it here .. so please go here if you want to discuss it any further .. and I for one think Rob still merits a congratulations .. and even if you removed all those likes you mentioned, he'd likely hit 10,000 by the end of the week anyways! lol
(He's already at 10,111 total like in less than 24 hours after starting this thread! lol)

You brought it up in that thread, it was a valid point. Not a handful, you're trying to smooth that over. Why not go to the thread and count. I just went thru the first 10 pages or so, not the full thread. Maybe some hands and some feet and then other people's hands and feet.

42 posts in first 5 pages, there are over 40 pages in that thread. Just take that 1 thread out alone and boom, it drops.

So yes, people do put a little too much into it.

Last edited:
•••
Let´s continue building our Christmas trees!

This forum shouldn´t get rules for Likes, please.
And I would prefer no additional competition for a better Like/Post ratio, please. Because
IMO, all likes are not equal.
e.g. You can post a simple Hello or Haloa in the welcome to nP section, and instantly get an average of at least 10 likes per post.
the forum could be flooded by low-carb posts like these "Welcomes" or by opportunistic everybody´s darling texts.
I know many members just by them posting in Blog and Newsletter sections. They post "Thanks for sharing" or similar, have worked another counted post and get several Likes for this. More trust?

I also would appreciate to delete the dislike button. I you dislike, then don´t like. Or write a spicy post against your counterpart.

Please help me improve my Like/Post ratio and Like this post as a Christmas gift. Thank you.

•••
•••
Dou you prefer to like or to thank me now for thanking your Liking of my Like call?

It´s nice to be kidding sometimes, isn´t it? People should open a Like Forum.

•••
Or write a spicy post against your counterpart.
1,000,000% the most important thing in a forum is actual on topic well thought out content! Likes/Polls etc .. all that is secondary. Again though .. kinda my point in that I think it's those on-topic posts that should be highlighted and encouraged more.

I don’t judge users based on their likes one way or the other. Not everyone has the gift of gab or time to post frequently. They are not any less valuable.
Again .. that's exactly my point .. I'm not in any way saying the changes I'm proposing would make things perfect .. nor would they make "likes" a system upon which anyone should judge anyone else. I'm just saying that despite that, many people do .. and considering that fact AND the fact tweaking the system as I suggested is very easy (it's all within the forum software .. they don't even need to hack anything .. maybe 1 hour max of manual work, then obviously a longer automated/hands-off time if they regenerate the counts from zero)

Reasons I use the like or thank button: you made me laugh, I agree, well said,I support you,encouragement. None of the reasons are negative.
I'm in no way saying that aspect of things should change in any way! Again .. that's my actually point .. make the genuinely better posts shine even more (relatively) than they are now,

I found the other thread pretty ridiculous, you can basically get likes with coupons. For those talking about ratios and stuff.
I think in the end you'll see we agree more on this than disagree. It's just that I don't blame ANY member for formerly using likes for ANY reason (even reasons I don't think they should be used for). until now NamePros specifically stated (1) Use likes for ANY reason, and, (2) They don't care.

I'm not even blaming them for that .. trust me .. changing things like "Like Systems" while ironically "technically" easy, in terms of getting it past members who never want change is a VERY different thing. The main reason I'm starting this discussion publicly is to drive up support for potential changes specifically so it's easier for them to push the changes through to members because the positive elements of a potential change have been highlighted (well .. hopefully .. or at least that's what I'm trying to do .. lol).

NamePros runs on one piece of forum software that was upgraded from at least one former forum software .. there are stats that used to have one method of measurement that potentially changed meaning over time. It's likely that the like system started one way because there were fewer options originally, and then they just continued it the way it was because nobody thought of a better way was even possible. (or more likely just didn't want to deal with the portions of members who never want change)

So there was nothing wrong with Rob asking for 300 posts to start a promotion .. but .. I do agree with you that going forward, the like system should not be used that way .. specifically because it can specifically (technically) be avoided .. and to do it because it would bring more specific meaning to the other more on-topic likes (discussing domains and things related)

I imagine you would keep the best names for yourself.
lmao .. of course I keep the ones I want off the list .. although it's only a small handful these days .. but admittedly the biggest reason for that is that I still don't have my own portfolio under control! lol

Their thanks were my affiliate commissions. You're not doing this out of the goodness of your heart, it's thru affiliate links, to make money. That's fine.
100% my goal in anything I do related to domains is to make money ... it should be for everyone .. but that doesn't mean I can't be helpful to others along the way (particularly by sharing names I likely won't buy). But if you knew how little I made in commissions you'd probably think I was a saint .. lol. Most months I make about as much as I would make if I took ONE overtime shift at my regular job .. I've only come close (never over) to what I would have made in 2 shifts a couple of months.

I actually just sent an email to GD the other day .. because at this point I think I'm probably making about 1/3 of what I should be because of a handful of technical and non-technical reasons.

To be completely transparent, the real honest reason I continue with the lists so regularly is because I really want to get more organised and start a wholesale stream .. from which I suppose # of viewers more than anything else would count.

Also, I never understood why people just don't use something like expiredomains.net. I tried one of your lists one day, had no problem getting those names to pop off. Domainers are probably better off learning how to use tools, get the domains before they're posted in public.
The best tool people can use is their own eyes and brains! lol .. Seriously though .. the best way to find domains with the best VALUE (not necessarily the best domains obviously) is to go into parts of the master list where most other people don't check .. where a few gems can still be found that won't have too much competition.

So yes .. 100% people should not be using lists nor tools. Go in and do some "manual mining" that where you'll get the most value long term by far. That being said .. if you're going to use a list .. use mine .. lol .. specifically because I'm more eyeball and less automation than anyone else .. so you'll get different and less competed upon domains from my list than if you use most tools.

Admittedly though .. if you tweak specific tools to unique-ish settings .. then you'll find value names as well. I can't really say specifically because I don't use tools .. I do have a process .. and I most certainly do not eyeball all 50,000 domains every day .. but I think I do a good job of finding most good ones as well as a handful of gems that nobody else finds.

In the end there is no 100% wrong system .. people should use my all lists merely as one of hopefully many tools in their own "system". I'll even also be the first to say a good portion of the domains on my list should NOT be purchased (depending on the price they end up at) .. my list is a list of "notable and interesting" domains .. EVERY domain on my list should be re-evaluated by individual domainers based on their own "value metrics".

@Ategy - you continually post about not getting likes in your threads, even in threads about different people. Some thoughts on that:
Actually .. I wouldn't even be against the thought of removing the ability of likes/thanks not just from off-topic forums, but maybe also weigh the pro/cons of removing them from lists forums (would sucks a bit for those who con't have affiliate links though .. but something to consider that I'm not automatically against .. or maybe have one separate forum for lists with affiliate links for them not to count?)

At the end of the day though .. I do put in hours of work for those threads .. and while I do get ~150+ views per day .. sometimes I feel like because of the little amount of $$ combined with so few likes/thanks, that maybe most of those 150 views are just bots? I don't know .. it's really frustrating .. but that's a different topic! lol

And then, some of this really comes off as some junior highish type stuff.
Again .. I'm not sure how tweaking the system to better reward on-topicness could be considered junior high / childish? If you want to keep discussing my daily NameCult lists then please feel free to start another thread, or PM/email me .. as for improving the likes system, I think I've said all I had to say .. and I think we're pretty much in agreement in the end! lol

Last edited:
•••
Dou you prefer to like or to thank me now for thanking your Liking of my Like call?

It´s nice to be kidding sometimes, isn´t it? People should open a Like Forum.

Like Forum ... that's brilliant :)

•••
Again .. I'm not sure how tweaking the system to better reward on-topicness could be considered junior high / childish?

I meant caring about stuff like that. Some kids nowadays are concerned with how many Instagram followers they have, YouTube subs, Twitter followers etc. But of course some care about that because many see this as a career. I've heard some say they want to do YouTube as a career. The more followers, likes you have etc. the better chance companies reach out to for business opportunities, influencer type stuff.

I don't like to see that here, again, if you have something to say, just say it. Don't stop from posting because you might feel it doesn't get a good like/dislike ratio.

As far as reforming the system, not going to happen. Again, would have happened by now. And, even tho they tell me I'm wrong, it's about post count. It's why people who have been banned 5 times, still post. These extra posts people do to get likes are extra posts. If somebody wants to sell a forum, that is a nice metric to have. Look how many posts/participation the forum has. Reforming the system would result in less posting. It's pretty obvious some are just fishing for likes, different examples have been given in this thread. I can go on a spree today and welcome every new member, get a bunch of likes. I can go on a meme posting spree, get a bunch of likes.

Just saw this:

Exactly you have touched upon the number one reason likes have little to no meaning. Greetings should have never had a like system available just like the marketplace. Hi I'm Grilled I am new here, I say Hello grilled Welcome, why is my post getting 20 likes? It's a reason I have never participated in that forum. Vito and I used to joke we can created a thread in the break room for us and a few friends and every post gets liked by the other 5, want to jump your likes 200 - 300 a week? We can do that.

Exactly how I feel.

Last edited:
•••
•••
IMO, all likes are not equal.

e.g. You can post a simple Hello or Haloa in the welcome to nP section, and instantly get an average of at least 10 likes per post. (usually dependent if you spam like every other hello in the welcome thread)

Thus, if I see a member with close to 10,000 likes, and notice most of their posts are in the break room or networking, meet and greet (check the area of posting), I think artificially created, and/or not the same as members who earn their likes, rather than stacking likes for a simple hello, and spam liking others hello.

I'd like to see the total amount of likes/thanks per area; just as it shows the amount of posts per area.

Show attachment 139685

Because there are some members with many more likes/thanks than active participating members, simply because they stack likes in networking, meet, and greet (or the break room with threads such as mods count down, members count up thread) I mean, if that's not a post count padder, IDK what is. .

Exactly you have touched upon the number one reason likes have little to no meaning. Greetings should have never had a like system available just like the marketplace. Hi I'm Grilled I am new here, I say Hello grilled Welcome, why is my post getting 20 likes? It's a reason I have never participated in that forum. Vito and I used to joke we can created a thread in the break room for us and a few friends and every post gets liked by the other 5, want to jump your likes 200 - 300 a week? We can do that.

•••
I meant caring about stuff like that. Some kids nowadays are concerned with how many Instagram followers they have, YouTube subs, Twitter followers etc. But of course some care about that because many see this as a career. I've heard some say they want to do YouTube as a career. The more followers, likes you have etc. the better chance companies reach out to for business opportunities, influencer type stuff.

I don't like to see that here, again, if you have something to say, just say it. Don't stop from posting because you might feel it doesn't get a good like/dislike ratio.

As far as reforming the system, not going to happen. Again, would have happened by now. And, even tho they tell me I'm wrong, it's about post count. It's why people who have been banned 5 times, still post. These extra posts people do to get likes are extra posts. If somebody wants to sell a forum, that is a nice metric to have. Look how many posts/participation the forum has. Reforming the system would result in less posting. It's pretty obvious some are just fishing for likes, different examples have been given in this thread.

Good points and there is no influencer career moves here. The other thing members who are older didn't have likes for many years, so the ratio would be puzzling, stuff published in 2005 that would have got a lot of likes did not have likes available to them.

•••
I need that dislike so desperately! Anyone?

•••
This forum shouldn´t get rules for Likes, please.
OMG .. NO NO NO .. I agree with you 100% on that .. lol .. that would be a disaster impossible to moderate even if NP had 100 moderators. I'm talking about turning it off in off-topic forums and/or for posts with less than X characters (I say 100, but it could be 50 or 200).

In an ideal world (although I'm not sure how possible it is), I would say keep everything exactly as it is .. even keep likes/thanks in off-topic forums .. but just don't have them add to people's totals.

Again .. I say all this from a very unique perspective of having owned/admin'ed a large forum in the past .. I'm not only saying this to make the Like/Post metrics clearer .. a tthe end of the day when I made changes to visible metrics .. there was a noticeable long-term improvement in the overall quality of posting.

ADDED: It did NOT make things perfect .. but many of the posts that were made by a small minority of people who post just for the sake of upping their count simply stopped. (Some deliberately continued to try to make a point it wouldn't work .. but eventually the "extremists" did most definitely change to some degree .. lol.)

ADDED: And in all honesty .. I'm fine with their being off-topic forum .. I'm fine with short off-topic posts. I'm fine with people clowning around .. I'm just saying let's be sure if people do that, that it's because they genuinely want to post that .. and not just to up their stats/counts

Also .. above I said no hacks would be needed. I'm only sure of that for turning off certain forums .. not so sure about turning it off for posts below X charaters .. although it wouldn't be very hard.

Greetings should have never had a like system available just like the marketplace.
Again .. I agree completely .. and that's despite knowing it would remove about 5000 likes and 1000 posts from my total! lol

Last edited:
•••
^ two up @Lox :)

Like... huh?? What is this obsession with who likes who what where?
Different strokes for different folks. Like, don't be touching the like system, it's perfect the way it is.
.. but to me it unfortunately becomes a meaningless and even misleading metric ..
Yet the man opened up a thread dedicated to 5k milestone on the topic. /shakes head. No comprendo.

•••
•••
Yet the man opened up a thread dedicated to 5k milestone on the topic. /shakes head. No comprendo.
lol .. touche ... I also said above that I think the current system was better than nothing .. and that specifically the changes I recommend would not make things perfect .. just more relevant.

Or ... maybe I just want to post about my 5000th post another time next year! lol

It's not like the current system is a disaster .. I'm simply saying let's make it more relevant .. and yes .. that would mean it takes longer to reach 5000 posts and/or 10,000 likes ... and as such those milestones would be more meaningful.

I'm most certainly not talking about removing all the fun from the forum. I'm not even saying people shouldn't like a post if someone makes a funny joke (somewhat related to a conversation in an on-topic forum .. if the joke is more than 100 characters long .. lol).

And yes .. at the end of the day there are some things simply too cute not to like ...
Steamie.jpg

(You might not like me .. but you can't not like Steamie the Hot Dog !!! :)

Last edited:
•••
Like goes to Steamie the HD ! :)

•••
Still no comprendo.. and that dog freaks me out.

Anyboo, carry on. I will slink back to trying to figure out what .crypto domain to take for my site. It's driving me nuts actually.

•••
I'm talking about turning it off in off-topic forums and/or for posts with less than X characters (I say 100, but it could be 50 or 200).
Good ideas. But don´t forget, sometimes a short genious sentence can be more insightful than a post with the length of a novel. So you probably cannot improve valuation justice in member opinions about other members´ opinions and contributions because opinions are free within the forum rules.

To me it is more important to know how many folks are following another member. For me this is a better indicator than Likes regarding the ability to learn from another one.

I follow you because I know if you are posting something it is important to your view on the business and will result in creative discussions.
I follow @Lox just for example as we had a chat in this thread because he is posting relevant news daily that I do not receive via my other channels outside of NP. Did you see his Harvard book about TMs? I will neither be able to read nor to understand it but good to know it´s there.

•••
Why not just get rid of the "like" record completely? You could still "like" posts and they would still be displayed at the bottom of the post as it is now but take the total "likes" count away from the profile. I belive this is what Instagram have done (although I have no social media accounts).

Social media is starting to more relevant, no matter how hard u try. with u there...

FB, and Twitter had "Dislike" or "downvote", both failed and subsequently removed.

NP’s going against grain by simply “dislike" and thats why I think it’s miracle, NP still offers "dislike" to this day. agree with the sentiment, change 'dislike' to disagree", would help further imply "Nothing personal" esp sensitive people who keep pointin them out (No names...) lastly I agree; the burden of proof lies with whom is "down-voting” err "disliking? ;), I seldom use.(so must've been really been hater ;P Sometimes I might not have time to respond.

I'm hoping changing "dislike" to "disagree" would minimize crying, but maybe not. Could result in more "disagree" when says "disagree" than the rather-personal "dislike"...

Samer

Last edited:
•••
•••
I only got one dislike in the whole time that I have been a member here at NamePros and maybe if there was a disagree option available at the time @equity78 wouldn't have given me that dislike :-/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/doxxing-yes-or-no.1152159/page-2#post-7377863

As I have said many a time it should be a disagree, because that's what it is, nothing personal, disagreed with a point made in a post.

I am actually a believer in + and - and then the total is what is shown under the post. 8 + and 2 - and the post has a score of +6.

•••
Yeah, the Epik Coupon thread - https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-com-promo-deals-and-happy-hour-mega-thread.1148974/

Just first 10 pages or so, number of likes per post:
.................. for those mentioning ratio. Coupons get likes. Or give me x number of likes, get a great coupon.

Will continue over there.

@JB Lions - Feel free to audit those likes and let the Mods know which ones you don't approve as being real. It took about 14 months to go from 5,000 likes to 10,000 likes. See below:

upload_2019-12-22_19-52-34.png

I will trust your judgement on this one.

It would be cool if @Paul Buonopane could add the ability to do spot polls inside of an existing thread versus asking folks to like or dislike a post. Like here:

upload_2019-12-22_19-59-35.png

For long-running threads, polls are just another embedded form of engagement. I am guessing it not be a hard development request.

This could also be used for the "Hand reg of the day" stuff where folks can thump up/down a domain suggestion or indicate an appraisal range.

For now, we'll just muddle through and look to you to help the Mods keep score! If you have time for that, have at it.

•••
@JB Lions - Feel free to audit those likes and let the Mods know which ones you don't approve as being real. It took about 14 months to go from 5,000 likes to 10,000 likes. See below:

Show attachment 139707

I will trust your judgement on this one.

It would be cool if @Paul Buonopane could add the ability to do spot polls inside of an existing thread versus asking folks to like or dislike a post. Like here:

Show attachment 139708

For long-running threads, polls are just another embedded form of engagement. I am guessing it not be a hard development request.

This could also be used for the "Hand reg of the day" stuff where folks can thump up/down a domain suggestion or indicate an appraisal range.

For now, we'll just muddle through and look to you to help the Mods keep score! If you have time for that, have at it.

I never said they weren't real, I was just reiterating what Ategy was talking about. People were mentioning likes and like ratio. Obviously, if you're a registrar offering coupons, that's going to get a lot of likes. If you're literally offering coupons based on liking a post, that will result in a .............bunch of likes. Obvious stuff. You had one post that got 318 likes alone. In exchange for those likes, people got a coupon.

•••
I never said they weren't real, I was just reiterating what Ategy was talking about. People were mentioning likes and like ratio. Obviously, if you're a registrar offering coupons, that's going to get a lot of likes. If you're literally offering coupons based on liking a post, that will result in a .............bunch of likes. Obvious stuff. You had one post that got 318 likes alone. In exchange for those likes, people got a coupon.

Yup, feel free to back those out. I am cool with it.

I also proposed an easy technical remedy for how to address the issue of people using long-lived threads for ongoing feedback.

As I see it, instant polls should just be another media type, similar to embedding an image or video. Problem solved. I actually think it would be extremely useful.

For example, it would be useful for the threads where folks are submitting inventory or asking for advice whether to keep, delete or liquidate a name.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back