IT.COM

question Registrar transfer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Inframan

Established Member
Impact
Does the renewal cost of a domain from the original registrar transfer to the new registrar? Has anyone experienced significant savings in doing so?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you have larger portofolio than yes it can save money, mostly transferring has better price than renewing. the renewal price depend of your registrar.

•••
If you have larger portofolio than yes it can save money, mostly transferring has better price than renewing. the renewal price depend of your registrar.
Do you mean the cost of the registrar I'm currently at, or the registrar I'm looking to transfer to?

•••
Does the renewal cost of a domain from the original registrar transfer to the new registrar? Has anyone experienced significant savings in doing so?
No, the renewal price does not become the same as on the current registrar, each company have their own prices, you have to look at the prices of the registrar where you want to move your domains e.g. register/renew/transfer for each TLD you want to move to them.

So if you have allot of domains, yes there are savings in doing so, it depends on quantity, the more domains you have the more you will economy on renewals in future, many registrars have abuse rules and can ban you, when I try to reg new domains cheap on a registrar which I used as a save boat they asked me to send them my ID for verification.

I was not banned from registrars yet, if they were smart they should say thanks that they had the opportunity to see my high valued secret domain names, which no body realize anything yet. They even should offer me 50% off on renewals to peek at my domains. :ROFL:

So if you want to jump from boat to boat you can use, Sav, Spaceship and Cosmotown or (Z.com) but (Z.com) is not desirable to move there, cause their support is slow and have many issues with transfers.

•••
As the above poster mentioned, every registrar has their own pricing. The key is that they may even have lower than posted pricing for large transfers. Also, there are occasional discount coupons and offers on NP. For renewals, with the right timing, you can save much. The best discount pricing tends to be with the Black Friday specials, occurring toward the end of November on or right after Thanksgiving.

And, keep in mind that you could take advantage of a significantly discounted transfer to a registrar one year, and then move them back to your old one or to a completely different registrar the next for their great deal.

Choosing also based on registrar quality would make sense though, rather than moves simply based on renewal specials or pricing alone.

•••
When transferring a ccTLD, be aware that proprietary rules may be imposed.
Rules that do not extend the expiration date are still better, and there are also ccTLDs with rules that rewrite the following year.
I made the mistake of changing my JP domain from 7 years to 1 year in the past lol

•••
No it does not and yes you can experience significant savings particularly when dealing with a significant number of domains.

Keep in mind renewal fee's alone shouldn't determine why you're at a particular registrar. You may be sacrificing critical functions just to save a few bucks. A good balance for your needs is always best.

•••
Rules that do not extend the expiration date are still better, and there are also ccTLDs with rules that rewrite the following year.
I made the mistake of changing my JP domain from 7 years to 1 year in the past lol
Are you saying that you lost 6 years from your registration due to the transfer? If so, ouch! Was it a new rule that you hadn't realized was now imposed?
Keep in mind renewal fee's alone shouldn't determine why you're at a particular registrar. You may be sacrificing critical functions just to save a few bucks. A good balance for your needs is always best.
Excellent point.

•••
Choosing also based on registrar quality would make sense though, rather than moves simply based on renewal specials or pricing alone.
That's on my mind as well.

•••
My 3 AI domains and several ccTLD's are my main reason for wanting to transfer registrars.

I still have 2 years on my AI domains. It looks like AI is hovering around $85 per year.

BR is around $30 - $45.
CN $40.
JPN $35.
ZA $40 - $60.
JE and GG $15 - $25.
GR and SE I forget.
I think DE might be $20 - $40.
CZ I forgot. More importantly there is no WHOIS privacy. I'm constantly getting spam/phishing emails from native Ukraine speakers.

Those domains by themselves are a financial commitment. If I let anything drop it will be JE, GG and CZ. I still have 10 - 11 months before renewal on my ccTLD's.

Last edited:
•••
No it does not and yes you can experience significant savings particularly when dealing with a significant number of domains.

I don't remember the original poster, but somebody got hit with premium renewal fees. All of my hand regs were standard. I don't want some additional costs added to the expense of ccTLD renewal fees. There's already a catch as far as AI domains. Unless you wait to the very end of the renewal for AI the remaining time doesn't transfer.

•••
There's already a catch as far as AI domains. Unless you wait to the very end of the renewal for AI the remaining time doesn't transfer.
Wow, so you would need a very reliable registrar for such a transfer? Some registrars in the past were recommending allowing at least two weeks before expiration.

For AI, how close does it have to be before expiration, in order to retain the extra years of registration?

•••
For AI, how close does it have to be before expiration, in order to retain the extra years of registration?
I'll find out and post. Anguilla is trying to monetize on every transaction. I need to read the fine print.

I was looking WS as a potential investment. I read the renewal is based on market valuation.

Last edited:
•••
Wow, so you would need a very reliable registrar for such a transfer? Some registrars in the past were recommending allowing at least two weeks before expiration.

Direct quote from Porkbun. (AI)
The registry for this TLD does not provide a renewal upon transfer. The price you pay to transfer the domain is for the transfer only. We don't know why some registries do this, but they do.

•••
Direct quote from Wikipedia. (WS)

Due to its potential popularity, a sliding scale of prices is operated by the registrar, depending on the brevity of the desired domain. Domains with four characters or more are competitively priced while three-, two-, and single-character domains have their own pricing tiers, quickly scaling into thousands of United States dollars. A company named "Global Domains International" operates a multi-level marketing scheme for .ws domain reselling.

•••
Just to make sure clear, with some country code domain names there is not a year added when transfer. Many, including the popular ones like .co, .io, .me, .cc etc. there is a year added, just like for legacy.

Also, for .ai not only do you need to renew in 2 year intervals, as far as I know, but I believe it is also true that the paid up registration does NOT transfer to a new registrar. I don't personally invest in .ai, so someone please correct if this is not right, but that is what I read.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back