IT.COM

[Resolved] - SnapNames - (Bad) - Reprehensible Sign of the Times

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm an over 20 year customer and client of SnapNames, almost since the very day they came into existence. I still even have a domain I acquired through SnapNames over 20 years ago when the business model was first come first served $39 "SnapBack" order, one only, no auction. There has also never been an issue with my account, I have dutifully provided verification images when requested, spent plenty of money over the years, etc.

Despite having already provided the types of verification images we are probably all accustomed to now in April in order to VERIFY my account since it was locked after my payment method expired and I merely added a new one, with my account having already been so VERFIED and without any restriction whatsoever, my SnapNames account was recently switched to unverified status. I can't even add any backorder anymore.

DESPITE providing the same verification files all over again in a support ticket, now the "new normal" is being required to use a third party app on a smartphone to provide them even yet again regardless - ASSUMING you even have access to one. It is the Nametag app, no doubt many are familiar with this requirement by now.

And sure enough, this third party Nametag app did not work for me and would not allow me to proceed. And sure enough, SnapNames support will not relent in demanding that it be used to complete this draconian new requirement which depends on the reliability of a third party entity and service.

I just wanted to start this thread now, but perhaps later I will add all the communications so far.

One of the support reps offered to send me a new Nametag link to try again, but it seems maybe they didn't like my definite statements of negative feedback and disapproval of this new draconian "policy" and requirement, so I have not received it today.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nobody does this, i.e. no company in the industry requires this kind of new extra-extra draconian nonsense. The already new "new normal" is already bad enough. Because of which I was wondering - is this really some kind of arrangement just to enrich whoever is associated with this "Nametag," or perhaps some kind of kickback deal going on? Both?

•••
I'm an over 20 year customer and client of SnapNames, almost since the very day they came into existence. I still even have a domain I acquired through SnapNames over 20 years ago when the business model was first come first served $39 "SnapBack" order, one only, no auction. There has also never been an issue with my account, I have dutifully provided verification images when requested, spent plenty of money over the years, etc.

Despite having already provided the types of verification images we are probably all accustomed to now in April in order to VERIFY my account since it was locked after my payment method expired and I merely added a new one, with my account having already been so VERFIED and without any restriction whatsoever, my SnapNames account was recently switched to unverified status. I can't even add any backorder anymore.

DESPITE providing the same verification files all over again in a support ticket, now the "new normal" is being required to use a third party app on a smartphone to provide them even yet again regardless - ASSUMING you even have access to one. It is the Nametag app, no doubt many are familiar with this requirement by now.

And sure enough, this third party Nametag app did not work for me and would not allow me to proceed. And sure enough, SnapNames support will not relent in demanding that it be used to complete this draconian new requirement which depends on the reliability of a third party entity and service.

I just wanted to start this thread now, but perhaps later I will add all the communications so far.

One of the support reps offered to send me a new Nametag link to try again, but it seems maybe they didn't like my definite statements of negative feedback and disapproval of this new draconian "policy" and requirement, so I have not received it today.

did u find exact reasons why it's not working for u? I mean some things just take more time to install fix.etc but they might find it odd u.do.not or can't make it work. sadly companies have their rules.. to which we agree ... if we wanna use them then we play by rules .. it's that simple.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Some companies are on the cusp of contempt for their customers...others have been there for quite some time.

Last edited:
•••
Edit, 9/8/23

Last edited:
•••
despite being a true veteran of such things, really the worst since the early/mid 1990's

You regged names in the early 90s? I wasn't aware of such drama in the early days. In fact I thought there was basically only Network Solutions.

I don't understand.

•••
You regged names in the early 90s? I wasn't aware of such drama in the early days. In fact I thought there was basically only Network Solutions.

I don't understand.
I wish. No, I regged my first domain in 2001. I consider myself a full-fledged "Internet user" since about '94/'95. But even before that I had used the "Internet" in the 80's in a certain job, only rarely, though it was absolutely nothing like how you did it by the mid 90's. [Edit, 9/8/23]

Last edited:
•••
Edit, 9/8/23

Last edited:
•••
Hi

i updated an expired CC with no problems there.

perhaps try namejet.com, since it's basically a clone site now of snap.... and they both are under web.com

imo....

•••
Edit, 9/8/23

Last edited:
•••
Edit, 9/8/23

Last edited:
•••
Edit, 9/8/23

Last edited:
•••
Okay, well there may possibly be an update. Just discovered something.

God willing, we'll see, perhaps I'll be able to resume saying SnapNames is one of the few long-standing good things left in the industry and forget all about this.

Edit, 9/8/23:

The NamePros site will no longer allow me to change the thread title or edit posts #1 and #2, otherwise I would have changed the title to "Solved" and edited.

The issue is now resolved. Although my SN support ticket was closed, I took a look at it and discovered a reply dated 8/31 I was not previously aware of. In it the SnapNames support rep indicated my verified bidder form and original verification file submissions could be used if I resubmitted the form with a real signature instead of how I had submitted it originally with only a digital typed sig. I then printed out a new current version, physically signed it, created a new PDF and submitted that. The account is now verified with full functionality.

Last edited:
•••
Is it true that snap doesn't auction?
What happens if 2 ppl backorder?

•••
Is it true that snap doesn't auction?
What happens if 2 ppl backorder?
Hi

no, it is not true

auctions for backorders occur daily when there is more than one bidder.

imo..

•••
The NamePros site will no longer allow me to change the thread title
Hi

report the thread to mods and ask them to change title, since issue is resolved.

as, it would be unfair to reputation of platform.

imo...

•••
report the thread to mods and ask them to change title
Good idea, will do that today. Based on experience with forums in general, never occurred to me anymore they might actually be willing to do that. :) But doesn't hurt to ask.

Edit - just did it.

1695157253532.png

Last edited:
•••
resolved

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back