Dynadot

interviews Rick Schwartz answers some questions on why he dipped his toe in the .ai pool

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
So the first real news in domaining of 2024 was that Rick Schwartz started investing in .ai domain names. I asked Rick if he would answer a few questions and he graciously agreed. One point Rick made was this, "I am NOT endorsing .Ai. I am sharing the fact that I am dabbling."I think it's an interesting read and hope you enjoy the interview.Q1) What made you decide to invest in .ai domain … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe also he buy Vision .ai 🤪

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hi

if domain king spends $3500 for a domain as insurance,
was/is that considered reseller or enduser price?

:)

imo....

•••
Okay, looks like I need to grab me some more ai domains :xf.cool:

•••
Don’t think it’s a mystery. He saw that they were selling, so he’s dipping his toes in, testing the waters. Same as he’s done with other extensions like .mobi, .me etc. Maybe, a little case of the FOMO

Last edited:
•••
One point Rick made was this, "I am NOT endorsing .Ai. I am sharing the fact that I am dabbling.

Before you start investing money in dot AI, there are a 3 important questions you need to ask yourself.

1. The difference between finance and funding projects
2. Research finance/funding v Competitive finance/funding
3. Where does $ investment come from?

.... Creating urgency (buzz pollination) in a sale doesn't work for dot AI.

I have data showing lots of "urgency" and a very few in "need".
Most of dot AI projects are ... dead without OpenAI, GPT, etc. ... IAW just a clones without any backend (hardware / independency )

Take a care

Regards

Thx @equity78

Last edited:
•••
That's a really nice interview to read. Not too long but open and honest about his thinking. I like the way he has personalised some of his choices, The online girlfriend model. or should I say Model Girlfriend this is right up there in the Asian market.

That has always been the art of domaining. knowing what to ignore is right up there at the top. You need your chosen domain to be right up there and as desirable/equal as the best. Not having to necessarily compete with the best

Last edited:
•••
Before you start investing money in dot AI, there are a 3 important questions you need to ask yourself.

1. The difference between finance and funding projects
2. Research finance/funding v Competitive finance/funding
3. Where does $ investment come from?

.... Creating urgency (buzz pollination) in a sale doesn't work for dot AI.

I have data showing lots of "urgency" and a very few in "need".
Most of dot AI projects are ... dead without OpenAI, GPT, etc. ... IAW just a clones without any backend (hardware / independency )

Take a care

Regards

Thx @equity78
:glasses::pompous:going through fundingblogger.com for the latest funding updates...

•••
Don't read to much into Ricks interview regards AI. It is just a case of spread-betting with his overall domaining insights. I do think it clever to relate it to a personalized AI future and modelling. That market already has a fulfilment need.

My contention has always been that the AI reference is superfluous to a good and relevant domain. Possibly/Probably even 'distancing' its market in a comparatively short-term/period

Last edited:
•••
Rick Schwartz has sent you$$
Rick just bought two of mine .:xf.smile:

•••
•••
•••
Nice article, thanks @equity78

I enjoyed the whole thing but the ending was special (note to readers: it is a short read so don't skip to the end...read the whole thing)

•••
Rick wrote:

You can have 3 variations to tap into Ai.
KeywordAi .com (My personal preference) 40.4%
Or
AiKeyword .com (Don’t like as much) 21.3%
Or
Keyword.Ai (Taking a risk but do not endorse) 38,3%
Based on experience, what is the average price of such a set from one seller with the same keyword (For example, an umbrella industrial name) for an investor?

Last edited:
•••
It worked great for Rick when he could pay 4 to low 5 figures for 6-7+ figure names and managed to get some before everyone understood the value of great .coms

But nothing after that really has worked for him since. He still has under 5k names total with lots of them being in adult industry. He did not manage to get significantly more of top names, neither he managed to grow quantity the way Mann or Schilling managed.

He burned badly when he tried to "dabble" into .mobi paying 200k for flowers.mobi

That took away his desire to experiment for years and now he is ready again with .ai at the worst possible timing when the prices have already maxed out.

Yes, he might not make a loss like with .mobi and might break even or turn some small profit with it, but it is no game changer for him. And, then, again, maybe he doesn't need a game changer and he has done well enough for himself and can just go with inertia.

•••
He burned badly when he tried to "dabble" into .mobi paying 200k for flowers.mobi
I was having a pretty good day until this...the .mobi craze/crash got me as well! :xf.smile:

•••
I was having a pretty good day until this...the .mobi craze/crash got me as well! :xf.smile:

Yeah, I wasted few Ks on the stupidity too )) But one of the best few Ks spent in my life as I learned early to stick to .com

It was easy sell for the big guys at the time: a) mobile usage was going up and everyone thought that would require a separate site instead of just doing responsive design b) first time usage of "endorsed by Google itself" line abused to death later by .app to .xyz in different forms c) one of the first times since the internet became mainstream that a new global extension was being released

•••
Yeah, I wasted few Ks on the stupidity too )) But one of the best few Ks spent in my life as I learned early to stick to .com
The exact same for me...I dabbled in info and a few dozen .net in that period. Just like you, I'm sticking to the .com waters I know. Today I jumped into a .tv and ,org, but I have buyers in mind....otherwise I would not stray.

•••
The exact same for me...I dabbled in info and a few dozen .net in that period. Just like you, I'm sticking to the .com waters I know. Today I jumped into a .tv and ,org, but I have buyers in mind....otherwise I would not stray.

Yeah, I also have few hundred of .us, .org and a few .co, tv, .cc, but that is overall around 1% of my portfolio so doesn't affect much. I'd say, .us and .org have worked fine for me, at least paying their own costs, but I do have a decent collection of those, not just random pickups.

•••
Rick has invested in .ai because he feels that domaining is almost a dead biz, that is why he wants to diversify his agenda.

Last edited:
•••
But nothing after that really has worked for him since. He still has under 5k names total with lots of them being in adult industry. He did not manage to get significantly more of top names, neither he managed to grow quantity the way Mann or Schilling managed.

I don't like his style but do respect him for what he has brought to the table for the industry.

I do think however, he might "claim" to be the domain king but that time has long passed.

I can think of people with stronger portfolios.

Don't get me wrong, he's got great names. Even his adult names are top notch but you know... Lots of pigeon shit among them as well.

•••
•••
Rick has invested in .ai because he feels that domaining is almost a dead biz, that is why he wants to diversify his agenda.
Where is the quote that suggests domaining is over???

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back